Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Veal is a southpaw that was drafted 2 years ago (I think it was 2 years back).  He was thought of as one of the most talented southpaws in the draft but slid because he was pretty much a lock to go to University of Arizona. 

He went to UofA but his mom passed away and he ended up transferring to a junior college and has kicked ass there.  Pretty good upside, imo.

why did he transfer to a junior college?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Haven't heard much on Moviel, I remember the Sox signed and drafted his brother Paul hoping to grab Greg. 

Hodges has flat raked, man would if of been nice if the Sox signed a couple of those guys.  Its cool how Hodges broke his hammate and learned how to rake from the other side of the plate and is now a switch hitter.  I remember you always loved Hodges.

Are you sure Hodges is a switch hitter now? I'm a huge GT fan, and I watched all their regional games on ESPNU this week. Hodges batted righty the entire week. He is a great player though, and it will shock me if he doesn't become a MLB starter in his career.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
why did he transfer to a junior college?

If I recall he didn't pitch all that grand his freshman year and than when his mom died of cancer he went back closer to home. It may of even been when she was sick. He's supposed to be extremely start (wanted to be a doctor).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Are you sure Hodges is a switch hitter now?  I'm a huge GT fan, and I watched all their regional games on ESPNU this week.  Hodges batted righty the entire week.  He is a great player though, and it will shock me if he doesn't become a MLB starter in his career.

Maybe he stopped? I know his senior year of high school he broke his hammate bone or something in one hand and started hitting the other way and was planning on switch hitting.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
wharris...do you go to waubonsie???

bernatowics has had an awesome playoffs and i think the way our offense has come through we should do well...we have no bullpen except for mroczek...so hopefully we'll get to see bowden pitch on saturday.

Nah I go to Naperville Central but I've been following Bowden all year and have been to 2 of his recent games, including the game yesterday. The guys that pitched between him and Bernatowicz sucked.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm appalled at all the HSers being drafted. It's killling the game. These kids are years away from contributing. They really should make an age limit.

Did this just turn into an NBA Thread?

Isn't that why we have the minor leagues? So that even if people do draft high schoolers...and they're years away from contributing...teams have plenty of time to work with them?

Guys that have slipped:

Taylor Teagarden (Catcher, but Borass)

Jordan Danks, OF (high signability concerns, likely to go to college)

Jacob Marceaux, RHP (HSer could have gone earlier, compared to Oswalt)

Cody Satterwhite (RHP, HS, college commit) and Justin Bristow (HS SS)were also rated top 45 by BA.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Guys that have slipped:

Taylor Teagarden (Catcher, but Borass)

Jordan Danks, OF (high signability concerns, likely to go to college)

Jacob Marceaux, RHP (HSer could have gone earlier, compared to Oswalt)

Cody Satterwhite (RHP, HS, college commit) and Justin Bristow (HS SS)were also rated top 45 by BA.

I doubt the Sox would grab Danks, but he's a freaking stud.