seriously, mods I don't get it.

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
It was me Boz.. and I'm sorry but if this is "do as Ozzie does" I want off the ride.

I was just saying that if they think its classless, are they doing anything about Ozzie?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
What's the difference between that and the NASCAR haters doing the same thing.. ? It's not like he came in and said "the NHL sucks and you all that care about it are idiots..".

:huh

I will go in the NHL ones sometimes and read it, then post that I could really careless about hockey. I feel I am entitled to my opinion on it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I was just saying that if they think its classless, are they doing anything about Ozzie?

That's their problem.

I guess it doesn't really matter if 2 wrongs are going to equal a right in the minds of the leaders here.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
I will go in the NHL ones sometimes and read it, then post that I could really careless about hockey. I feel I am entitled to my opinion on it.

What I don't get, is why waste your time, and the time of people who actually care about it?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
Maybe we should have like a 100-200 post limit before you start making your own threads...  I know when i first joined I really didnt make any threads until I was at that many and it would keep people from trolling.  Reason is after 100-200 posts you begin to know most posters and probably wont make dumb threads...well most of the time.

I like that idea, maybe even a couple hundred more, so I dont have to answer the, when do the rosters expand question.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I like that idea, maybe even a couple hundred more, so I dont have to answer the, when do the rosters expand question.

Pardon me while I got all philosophical for a second, but I think part of the reason we exsist, is to serve as a learning tool for other Sox fans. Especially when you factor in the age difference between some of the posters, basic questions are to be expected, and if we want to help them along their trip of learning, these are minor inconviences. Also questions like that are harmless.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Pardon me while I got all philosophical for a second, but I think part of the reason we exsist, is to serve as a learning tool for other Sox fans.  Especially when you factor in the age difference between some of the posters, basic questions are to be expected, and if we want to help them along their trip of learning, these are minor inconviences.  Also questions like that are harmless.

:o That actually sounded half way intelligent. :D

Pardon me while I got all philosophical for a second, but I think part of the reason we exsist, is to serve as a learning tool for other Sox fans.  Especially when you factor in the age difference between some of the posters, basic questions are to be expected, and if we want to help them along their trip of learning, these are minor inconviences.  Also questions like that are harmless.

Southsider, why did Ozzie have our pitchers batting this past weekend? That sux and is really stupid. Kenny should hire a new manager, then fire himself. :headbang :headbang

A rule that can be learned by search google or PM'ing someone who knows what they are talking about. The pale hose forum has gotten extremely watered down lately, so much that its hard to engage in a discussion with the more knowledgeable members.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
A rule that can be learned by search google or PM'ing someone who knows what they are talking about.  The pale hose forum has gotten extremely watered down  lately, so much that its hard to engage in a discussion with the more knowledgeable members.

The thing is that not everyone has that much knowledge, and there is no way of getting it other than asking questions. I much prefer a basic question to a guy who has no idea what he is talking about, but acts like he does. The best way to have a bunch of people who know what they are talking about is to have the people who do know, teach the people who don't know.

Another factor I thought of is that it builds a solid following here on the board. Some kid gets his question answered today, then keeps reading through all of the different posts and starts to learn the game in depth, and eventually becomes a contributing poster. Whereas instead of answering the question someone puts out a snide comment, and the kid either never comes back, or just starts to cause trouble because he got embarrassed by some of the snarky comments other people made to him. Essentially it is a good way to build repour on a board that has been lacking it lately.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

I don't like the idea, it will only make matters worse. If you think PHT has a lot of fluff posts now, just wait until every newbie must post hundreds of times before starting a thread about the only question he's really interested in. Plus, I don't like the idea of a class system based on post counts, but that's jmo.

And I agree w/ ss2k5 -- basic questions are not the problem. It's 2 posts, question and answer. (And maybe a thank you, depending...) That's not the problem. (Actually, I think it makes the board better, more useful.) It's the 20 20-page threads about how much the team sucks after every loss, the flame wars reenacted over and over, and the trade threads rambling endlessly about how we're going to acquire any given player in the league w/o one scintilla of rumor (I'm not even asking for a credible one). And more, just some examples.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I don't like the idea, it will only make matters worse.  If you think PHT has a lot of fluff posts now, just wait until every newbie must post hundreds of times before starting a thread about the only question he's really interested in.  Plus, I don't like the idea of a class system based on post counts, but that's jmo.

And I agree w/ ss2k5 -- basic questions are not the problem.  It's 2 posts, question and answer.  (And maybe a thank you, depending...)  That's not the problem.  (Actually, I think it makes the board better, more useful.)  It's the 20 20-page threads about how much the team sucks after every loss, the flame wars reenacted over and over, and the trade threads rambling endlessly about how we're going to acquire any given player in the league w/o one scintilla of rumor (I'm not even asking for a credible one).  And more, just some examples.

:notworthy Anything tied to post counts contributes to spamming threads. Most of the issues, IMNSHO, are interpersonal. We have posters, who cannot take it outside, so they attack each other in every thread, in every forum. I have learned a lot from people ere who took the time to disagee with me *and* explain why they felt that way. Far better than to tell me to go screw myself.

Just treat other posters with respect, nuff said. Thats what it comes down to and we as mods and admins are going to do our best to clean up the stuff when those things don't happen.

If you disagree with someones post, disagree and say why, but stay away from the "Your a Moron Line" or "What an Idiot". That type of thought, while easy to say, does nothing to add to the thread and is pretty much the same as the perceived stupid post.

All you got to do is take a few seconds to think before hitting the post button. The best threads can come from discussions where two people disagree but you end up getting a ton of baseball talk and others get involved that everyone leaves the threads learning a ton (even if the main two parties still see things there way and thats very well possible).

You also have people ask questions. We all learn a lot on these boards. I know I've learned a ton about baseball and other things from my time on these boards. Soxtalk has one of the most knowledgeable fan bases I've ever seen. So many people that understand the game or the people with inside information to certain things or the people who follow the minor leagues. There are just so many resources here and some posters may not be as diehard or know as much as some on here, but they may learn it and if they ask a question than a simple answer back is easy enough.

I know I've asked plenty of questions before and have responded to many as well, just as most of us have.

Regardless, I'm pleased with this board. There are so many awesome people here, all Sox fans, and all rooting for a Sox win. Sometimes I think people forget that, but we all hold that one thing in common.

Well, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think the starting of threads when you are brand new takes away, not only fron your own experience, but from your reputation on the board. Like it or not, there are plenty of current and longtime posters that will always have something negative to say when there is a thread started about nonsense or "fluff." The reprecussion of this is the newbie not feeling wanted, and everyone thinking he or she is an idiot. Its unfortunate, but its the truth. Look at how many new guys we have on the board lately, and how many have been repeatedly posting bad opionions, terribly written statements and basic spam. Its hard for anyone not to mention anything when this occurs.

But I digress from my semi-rant. I think the key to successful posting is to lay back and learn before you try to teach. Even many in this thread helped me when I first started posting here, about what was acceptable and how to not only compose, but convey my opinion on the matter. My first real argument was with Texsox, and I remember seeing him display his side of the conversation, back it up, and wait for my side of the story. I dont recall ever exchanging real heated words. That is the way that the new people are going to learn, by the older and wiser posters teaching through example.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I think the key to successful posting is to lay back and learn before you try to teach.

I think a lot of admins, Mods, and veteran members agree with that, but do not like the idea of setting some mandatory minimum number of posts before a newer member can start threads, etc.

Most members have doen a good job of self-moderating, and most lurked for several weeks or more before diving in. But each member has to be allowed to decide when he/she is ready to begon posting, start threads, enter into heated debates with some of the old guard, etc. Not a perfect system, perhaps, but I don't think it's broken by any means.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
I think a lot of admins, Mods, and veteran members agree with that, but do not like the idea of setting some mandatory minimum number of posts before a newer member can start threads, etc.

Most members have doen a good job of self-moderating, and most lurked for several weeks or more before diving in.  But each member has to be allowed to decide when he/she is ready to begon posting, start threads, enter into heated debates with some of the old guard, etc.  Not a perfect system, perhaps, but I don't think it's broken by any means.

Well said Jim. I lurked and read for a while, and even when I made my first post, it was a question for someone who had written an article. It would be nice if people laid back and learned what the style of the board was like, but there is no way we want to mandate anything like that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Well said Jim.  I lurked and read for a while, and even when I made my first post, it was a question for someone who had written an article.  It would be nice if people laid back and learned what the style of the board was like, but there is no way we want to mandate anything like that.

I was just going to make some snarky remark about what it must have been like posting waaay back then, until I looked and realized that my registration is only 5 people behind you.

Like Indiana Jones says, it's not the years, it's the milage.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I was just going to make some snarky remark about what it must have been like posting waaay back then, until I looked and realized that my registration is only 5 people behind you.

A well oiled machine I am :bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

5 people and yet almost 30,000 posts, SS is a f-in machine