Around the Minors

danman31

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I think his 0.88 WHIP, .190 BAA and 2.81 ERA might have something to say about that.

National League. He had a 3.9 era last year in the al, while still very good, I just don't think he's the same pitcher he used to be and not worth the money, jmo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Playing the AL Central is going to be a real b**** in the coming years...  Lots of good arms coming through.  Sowers from Cleveland, Verlander from Detroit, Liriano.

I really hope that McCarthy turns out to be a good #2-#3.  I'm not totally sold on Garland continuing to pitch like a #1-#2 (but I think he'll be a damn good #3 for us behind Buehrle and Garcia).  I think McCarthy will have a shot at making next year's rotation, but I'm not sure...

Ideally, you can keep El Duque in a swingman role, get something for Contreras (maybe he'd do better in the NL?) -- and sign a pitcher that would push McCarthy (and maybe even Garland) down a spot.

Man...  it would have been really nice if the Sox got Pedro this offseason.  Bah -- I'm just crying over spilt milk.

Don't the Tigers have another guy? I think his name is Joel Zumaya? I've read that he's pretty sick.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
National League.  He had a 3.9 era last year in the al, while still very good, I just don't think he's the same pitcher he used to be and not worth the money, jmo.

1 bad year doesnt mean he will repeat that. Also he would totally dominate the rest of the central a big reason for his era last year was the yanks.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Don't the Tigers have another guy?  I think his name is Joel Zumaya?  I've read that he's pretty sick.

Yeah, but for reasons that I don't know most experts believe he will transition to relief at some point. Future closer maybe?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
National League.  He had a 3.9 era last year in the al, while still very good, I just don't think he's the same pitcher he used to be and not worth the money, jmo.

Not worth the money? Maybe. Sox #4 starter? Nope, he'd probably be number 1.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Not worth the money?  Maybe.  Sox #4 starter?  Nope, he'd probably be number 1.

Nah, not our 4th starter either, not sure why I exactly said that but at this point of his career I think Mark and Jon are better then him, jmo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)
Nah, not our 4th starter either, not sure why I exactly said that but at this point of his career I think Mark and Jon are better then him, jmo.

He's been pretty dominant this year. I'd love to have him pitch game one of any playoff series. Except the Yankees since they're his daddy. :)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
He's been pretty dominant this year.  I'd love to have him pitch game one of any playoff series.  Except the Yankees since they're his daddy. :)

He's been very good this year. I just don't think he's the same pitcher he used to be, the Pedro of old was the best pitcher of this era imo. Right now I think he's lost a little bit of what he had, I can definitely see how people would disagree with me though. I'm probably the only one with this opinion.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
He's been very good this year. I just don't think he's the same pitcher he used to be, the Pedro of old was the best pitcher of this era imo.  Right now I think he's lost a little bit of what he had, I can definitely see how people would disagree with me though.  I'm probably the only one with this opinion.

You're not lying, Rowand. I'd say for about a 4 or 5 year stretch, Pedro put the fear of god into opposing hitter's. Up until about 2001, when we played the Red Sox, and Pedro was pitching, I wouldn't even bother watching the game. That's how devestating he was. He's still very good now, but he's doesn't scare the you know what out of me anymore.

Cesar Carrillo has really started off his pro-career with a bang. He pitched about 20 innings at A-Ball Lake Elsinore, struck out 20 with a 2.79 ERA.

He's now at AA Mobile, and in about 25 innings, has struck out 27 with a 2.92 ERA. Looking real good so far...

And, interestingly enough, Broadway has done equally as well at W-S as Carrillo did at LE. Broadway has put up a lower ERA, and about the same K/9 (albeit in a small sample size). I'm definitely going to keep my eye on Carrillo as he progresses through the San Diego system.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Cesar Carrillo has really started off his pro-career with a bang.  He pitched about 20 innings at A-Ball Lake Elsinore, struck out 20 with a 2.79 ERA.

He's now at AA Mobile, and in about 25 innings, has struck out 27 with a 2.92 ERA.  Looking real good so far...

Barons will see Carrilo this weekend

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:49 AM)
I like Carillo.  If I were running the draft thats who the Sox would have.  Of course I'm not knocking Broadway, he's doing pretty good himself.

It was a tough call. I liked Broadway because of his better K/BB ratio, but Carrillo was also playing in a tougher conference.

I already know, however, that there are several people who are going to be saying, "I knew they should've taken Carrillo -- I called it that day!!!!", when/if Carrillo makes the bigs before Broadway does.

Like I said, Broadway is actually doing about the same (arguably better) than Carrillo did in his short time at high-A. Both of them look like real good picks right about now, and I'd be happy to have either.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
It was a tough call.  I liked Broadway because of his better K/BB ratio, but Carrillo was also playing in a tougher conference. 

I already know, however, that there are several people who are going to be saying, "I knew they should've taken Carrillo -- I called it that day!!!!", when/if Carrillo makes the bigs before Broadway does.

Like I said, Broadway is actually doing about the same (arguably better) than Carrillo did in his short time at high-A.  Both of them look like real good picks right about now, and I'd be happy to have either.

Carillo is the guy I wanted when the draft came along, however I can't complain about Broadway at all, looks like a solid pick so far.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Royals first round pick, Alex Gordon, has enrolled in classes at Nebraska and if he attends on Monday, the Royals will lose his draft rights.

they almost all enroll if unsigned, he wont show up. its the same thing weaver, drew, sowers all did.....they just use it as leverage in the final week before school starts..............i could be wrong, maybe he will go, but i doubt it

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Royals first round pick, Alex Gordon, has enrolled in classes at Nebraska and if he attends on Monday, the Royals will lose his draft rights.

He can kick some ass in college and go back into the draft later.

Why would anyone want to play for the Royals anyway?

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
He can kick some ass in college and go back into the draft later.

Why would anyone want to play for the Royals anyway?

The Royals are known to bring their kids up early, to save money. He could get to abritration and free agency a couple of years sooner. The losing would suck, but it could pay off big in the long run.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
3 White Sox lefties make BA's Hot Sheet

Haigwood at 12, Liotta 15, Gio 18. However, the Angels had the top 2, 3 of the top 4, and 5 on the list of 20.

id make a new thread for this....its noteworthy and i think alot of people will pass it over since its in the around the minors thread. any mods wanna make it a new one?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
id make a new thread for this....its noteworthy and i think alot of people will pass it over since its in the around the minors thread. any mods wanna make it a new one?

It's really not that noteworthy though.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Barons will see Carrilo this weekend

Has anyone heard bout the catcher the sox drafted named Donny (donald) Lucy

he was supposed to be good and maybe be a backup if not starting catcher in 2-3 years. Ive heard nothing from him and getting scared that he might have been a dissapointment b'cuz we need a catcher who can hit. i like widger and all but we could do a lot better than that cant we?

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Has anyone heard bout the catcher the sox drafted named Donny (donald) Lucy

he was supposed to be good and maybe be a backup if not starting catcher in 2-3 years. Ive heard nothing from him and getting scared that he might have been a dissapointment b'cuz we need a catcher who can hit. i like widger and all but we could do a lot better than that cant we?

Lucy hit .264, .353, .309 in low A Kannapolis. He had a rocky year. He started cold then got on a roll and finished the year in a slump to have his number drop to where they finished.