Does Konerko not like Uribe or something?

Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
So essentially I'm gonna ask this question; Do you prefer a guy with a great range but a bad arm in say Willie Harris, or a guy with a great arm but no so good range in Royce Clayton.

On Clayton, he should of stayed in Colorado if he could, Alex Cintron is just about going to take his everyday spot.

How about a guy with great range and a great arm like Uribe??? :P I'm just a huge fan of Uribe's defense and princesdye at this time there is no question Juan is a better defender then Vizquel imo.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
How about a guy with great range and a great arm like Uribe??? :P I'm just a huge fan of Uribe's defense and princesdye at this time there is no question Juan is a better defender then Vizquel imo.

Whoa. when have you ever seen Uribe get to anything that should not have been playable?

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Whoa.  when have you ever seen Uribe get to anything that should not have been playable?

A lot. Juan has and has always had tremendous range, once again this is jmo but I think very highly of Juan's defensive capabilities.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Whoa.  when have you ever seen Uribe get to anything that should not have been playable?

I thought he made a few of those plays against San Diego. One in particular with hermanson on the mound in the first game.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)

wow, you really are a huge fan of Uribe's defense. Vizquel, I think, is still the premier fielding SS in the game. he's turned some spectacular double plays with Deivi Cruz this year, really a treat to watch.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
A lot.  Juan has and has always had tremendous range, once again this is jmo but I think very highly of Juan's defensive capabilities.

if you ask me, Uribe's approach to offense and defense is the same: undisciplined

he gets by on raw tools.... he takes the ugliest swings EVER at the ball and sometimes muscles it somewhere. just look at how the ball comes off his bat... even on the HR's he always looks like he just missed what he was trying to do.

defense: again, bad form catching and sometimes throwing. i'm not a fan of those high arc throws, but he gets by. he gets by on that raw strength.

if the guy ever got under control and listened to some advice... he'd be consistent and impressive. instead of occasionally impressive.

Edited by Princess Dye

Around the league, Uribe's range, arm and quick feet haven't really been questioned at all, it's been his errors (or that was his main problem for the Rockies). He has 8 in 60 games so far this season. He had 11 all of last season.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
if you ask me, Uribe's approach to offense and defense is the same: undisciplined

he gets by on raw tools.... he takes the ugliest swings EVER at the ball and sometimes muscles it somewhere.  just look at how the ball comes off his bat... even on the HR's he always looks like he just missed what he was trying to do.

defense: again, bad form catching and sometimes throwing.  i'm not a fan of those high arc throws, but he gets by.  he gets by on that raw strength.

if the guy ever got under control and listened to some advice... he'd be consistent and impressive.  instead of occasionally impressive.

that's dead-on. also pretty obvious. but dead-on.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
wow, you really are a huge fan of Uribe's defense.  Vizquel, I think, is still the premier fielding SS in the game.  he's turned some spectacular double plays with Deivi Cruz this year, really a treat to watch.

He has there's no doubt. IMO he's no longer a premier defender because his range has been limited some(understandable) but he's still very solid, he won't make a ton of errors and if the ball is in his range he will make the play.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
I have one thing to say about Omar Vizquel:

O-ver-ra-ted.

After last nights performance against the Twins, I will reserve any judgement on Omar Vizquel. He was ball-to-the-wall awesome at the plate last night.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Because the guy can't hit for s*** and yet our organization continues to give him free passes. Oh, and the fact that he is a clubhouse cancer.

I see. Pauls hitting seems to be coming around as of late. He's batting over .250!!

Edited by sayitaintso

I would hardly say he's a cancer. Maybe he just said that about Royce Clayton because he was so consistent.

He consistently gobbled up balls at short.

His throws might have gone to Kong at the same trajectory and speed no matter where he threw from.

He consistently sucked at the plate.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
That's true, he's got Ozzie Syndrom.

Except for he makes other teammates look bad, Ozzie doesn't do that.

PK already ripped Uribe for the deke on DLee, what the f*** is the point in doing that? What are you going to accomplish?

Now he says Clayton>Uribe. Even if he's right thats not needed.

STFU Paul.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Except for he makes other teammates look bad, Ozzie doesn't do that.

PK already ripped Uribe for the deke on DLee, what the f*** is the point in doing that?  What are you going to accomplish?

Now he says Clayton>Uribe.  Even if he's right thats not needed.

STFU Paul.

That is true, but Uribe shouldn't had done the deke to DLee. Someone needed to say something to uribe, not to the press, and that's where i beileve Paul screwed that one up.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
What other shortstops besides Uribe and Valentin did he play with. If the Choice is the best one, then i would not like to see that list.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Paul play with Barry Larkin while Paul was in Cincinatti.

When he was with Cincy he played in all of 26 games - is that long enough to really get a feel for a fellow infielder (asking as I never played a team sport)?

I have to say that it floors me how people love to put words in other peoples' mouths around here.

He has played with Uribe, Valentin and Clayton as regular shortstops - who, defensively, would you rank as tops there? With Valentin - Konerko had to practically be an acrobat to make some of those digs and catches. I like Uribe, but he doesn't stand out as a good defensive ss. Does Clayton have the personality of dirt? Yeah, but you can say that about many players through the years of professional baseball.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
When he was with Cincy he played in all of 26 games - is that long enough to really get a feel for a fellow infielder (asking as I never played a team sport)?

I have to say that it floors me how people love to put words in other peoples' mouths around here. 

He has played with Uribe, Valentin and Clayton as regular shortstops - who, defensively, would you rank as tops there?  With Valentin - Konerko had to practically be an acrobat to make some of those digs and catches.  I like Uribe, but he doesn't stand out as a good defensive ss.  Does Clayton have the personality of dirt?  Yeah, but you can say that about many players through the years of professional baseball.

That is a very valid point.

Agree.

Or just as bad, make every quote/incident neatly fit into their preconceived notion of the player.