Buehrle gets tweaked by Cub `cheater'

rangercal

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
If you say anything about anyone nowadays the media is gunna eat you alive.

agreed, they tend to edit there own stories a bit to make things more heated. Doesn't matter if it's baseball or sports in general or someone in the community...Media tend to edit stories to make them more interesting.

:finger media

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Greg a memo just came across my desk.

Buehrle is greatly outperforming you this year.  And he was better than you last year.  Oh and he had a higher ERA+ in 03...Hm....

What happened to the John Rocker avatar? He was pretty freaky looking in that picture.

Maddux basically has the right to say whatever he wants. His career trumps Buehrle's with so much leverage it's not even funny.

The problem is that Buehrle was NOT talking about Maddux. Buehrle is speaking from his own "years of experience". The media twisted it by saying the pitcher he was talking about has had many great "years of experience".

I don't know how many of you caught the post game press conference with Mark but he basically came out and said it was Zambrano.

I love what Ozzie said at the end of the article. What's wrong with cheating if you don't get caught? Any kind of andvantage you can get away with, do it. That's why I don't get all that bulls*** about steroids. who cares? It wasn't illegal and it wasn't cheating. It made the game better.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Maddux basically has the right to say whatever he wants.  His career trumps Buehrle's with so much leverage it's not even funny. 

The problem is that Buehrle was NOT talking about Maddux.  Buehrle is speaking from his own "years of experience".  The media twisted it by saying the pitcher he was talking about has had many great "years of experience". 

I don't know how many of you caught the post game press conference with Mark but he basically came out and said it was Zambrano.

Still, my respect for Maddux is now out the window. He said something stupid and arrogant, and he never struck me as that before. Screw him, I hope he continues his awful season and eventually his arm falls off.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Maddux basically has the right to say whatever he wants.  His career trumps Buehrle's with so much leverage it's not even funny. 

The problem is that Buehrle was NOT talking about Maddux.  Buehrle is speaking from his own "years of experience".  The media twisted it by saying the pitcher he was talking about has had many great "years of experience". 

Yeah I was listening to it on my way back from the Cell. Buehrle said that he was talking about a guy who has had success in the bigh leagues and then mentioned Zambrano and Wood. Haven't seen that printed anywhere, funny how they report what they want to report.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Still, my respect for Maddux is now out the window.  He said something stupid and arrogant, and he never struck me as that before.  Screw him, I hope he continues his awful season and eventually his arm falls off.

I thought the same thing. the "Who's Mark Buehrle?" line is okay if Buehrle was specifically calling out Maddux. that's the only situation it's acceptable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Yeah I was listening to it on my way back from the Cell. Buehrle said that he was talking  about a guy who has had success in the bigh leagues and then mentioned Zambrano and Wood. Haven't seen that printed anywhere, funny how they report what they want to report.

AM 1000 played the whole retort interview. Once again he wasn't implicating anyone. He was naming every Cub pitcher to make that point that he wasn't pointing out any individual and the press was just putting words in his mouth.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Yeah I was listening to it on my way back from the Cell. Buehrle said that he was talking  about a guy who has had success in the bigh leagues and then mentioned Zambrano and Wood. Haven't seen that printed anywhere, funny how they report what they want to report.

This is how it went for anyone who didn't hear:

Reporter: But you said he had years of experience! (Which he actually didn't)

MB: Zambrano's been over there, what? Three, four years now?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
AM 1000 played the whole retort interview.  Once again he wasn't implicating anyone.  He was naming every Cub pitcher to make that point that he wasn't pointing out any individual and the press was just putting words in his mouth.

He sounded pissed too, all this bulls*** is starting to get old in his mind.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Anybody think that what Buerhle and Evert said this week were pubilicity stunts.

Everett's comments that got the mediots in a tizzy were not made this week. They were made in direct answers to questions asked of him during an interview that occured during Spring Training.

Buerhle's comments were made during a lighthearted exchange when the interviewer kept pumping him to name pitchers that "cheat".

Both are being blown way out of proportion. In defense of Maddux's response (and I'm no big fan of Maddux and I hate the Cubs), how was the comment put to him to elicit his response of "Who is Buehrle?" I would bet a mediot went up to him and said something like "What do you think of Mark Buerhle accusing you of cheating?" Of course Buehrle said no such thing, but how would Maddux know that?

As for Guillen, I hope he was joking when he said he would help his players cheat, but he should realize things look a lot different when in print.

Jesse Rogers is on the Score right now and he's playing MBs press conference from last night. Rogers should just let this s*** go.

The funny thing is George Offman is the one that was grilling him during the press conference. He should never go on the Score again.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)

You're completely correct about Maddux's career trumping Buehrle's, however Buehrle has been better for quite some time now and Buehrle right now has more wins then Greg did at this time of his career. I'm not trying to say Mark is going to become Maddux, just saying that Mark has reallly been as good as you can be this early in a career.

It should be noted Ryan Dempster did not have his fingers in his mouth but did have his tongue inserted in his cheek while, ahem, coming clean.

"Basically I use snot if I have it," Dempster said. "Mark, you caught me. I'm glad, with your busy schedule, you had nothing else to do but imply I was using spit on the ball."

I thought he continued it in a humorus manner. I didn't have a problem with Dempster. I wish Ozzie hadn't stated he would support cheating. The team is having a great season and listening to other fans claim we are cheating and pulling up Ozzie's quote would suck.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
As the saying goes, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying!" Anyway, it's all in good hearted nature. It's gamesmenship. I also think MB made the comment about Zambrano because he wanted to show that there are other guys who have experience besides Maddux. Eh well.

That's exactly what he was saying.

i hate to say it, but buerhle is the a-hole in this situation. and there's no one i love more on this team than buehrle.

but he should have either A) kept his mouth shut when he was asked the question, or 2) actually gave a name instead of just making vague inferences.

and the argument that he was tricked into answering this question by some radio DJ is ludicrous. mark's a grown man and has been dealing with the media for a long time and should have kept his mouth shut. if he came out and said, "i've heard from a couple of people that greg maddux uses the pine tar," then it'd be fine. i could respecte that. but with this, it just puts a black cloud over every cubs pitcher who isn't cheating, and it sort of gives the s***ty cubs another reason to get up to play us.

i know how you chitown folks hate the cubbies and don't care if their guys get hammered by this, but it was a dick move.

and how can you get mad at dempster for firing back at a guy who insinuated he might be cheating? wouldn't you do the same if someone accused you of cheating and it was false?

now, rip me to shreds, because i know you will.

Edited by jerseysox

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
You're completely correct about Maddux's career trumping Buehrle's, however Buehrle has been better for quite some time now and Buehrle right now has more wins then Greg did at this time of his career.  I'm not trying to say Mark is going to become Maddux, just saying that Mark has reallly been as good as you can be this early in a career.

First, are you sure Buehrle had more wins than Maddux did at this time of his career? Through age 25 I counted Maddux had more.

And has Buehrle really been better for quite some time? I don't think so. Last year they had equal wins, while Maddux had a lower WHIP, higher K/9, lower BB/9, and lower H/9 with an ERA less than 10% higher than Mark's. Closer to 5% actually.

I know comparing the NL and AL pitching-wise isn't fair, but with Maddux WAY past his prime and Buehrle almost entering or already in his, they weren't so far apart performance-wise last year as everyone is making it seem.

yeah, it's pretty stupid when you say things like, "Who's Mark Buehrle?", when Buehrle is 8-1 and the ace of the staff for the best team in baseball, and you're 5-4 on the tail end of your career. check your f***ing ego at the door.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Let's get one thing straight. The media DOES twist things around and slander people. Mark didn't do anything wrong.