Report: Brandon McCarthy to Start on Monday

Chisoxfn

Report: Brandon McCarthy to Start on Monday

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

June 19, 2005

FutureSox.com has learned that the White Sox are tentatively planning on promoting Brandon McCarthy from Charlotte at the beginning of the week. McCarthy is expected to start Monday’s game vs. the Kansas City Royals. Brandon made his major league debut vs. the Chicago Cubs earlier this year and is 0-1 with a 6.97 ERA in 2 games. MORE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Report: Brandon McCarthy to Start on Tuesday

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

June 19, 2005

FutureSox.com has learned that the White Sox are tentatively planning on promoting Brandon McCarthy from Charlotte at the beginning of the week. McCarthy is expected to start Tuesday’s game vs. the Kansas City Royals. Brandon made his major league debut vs. the Chicago Cubs earlier this year and is 0-1 with a 6.97 ERA in 2 games. MORE

I'm confused, why Tuesday?? El duque is scheduled to pitch tomorrow, is something wrong with Jon?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
I see no one wants to read :lol:

But it appears that Duque will be headed to the DL (nothing official) and that Garland will start on Monday (thats on normal rest).

:bang I just saw Tuesday and didn't even bother to really think that Jon was on normal rest, maybe next time I'll read.

This is all speculative right now (in terms of the day they are starting). But as of now Brandon is slated to pitch on Tuesday and it appears Garland is moving up. I have trouble getting stuff about the reasons for the moves, but Duque has been suffering from tightness in his shoulder and maybe the Sox decided it was time to sit him down (after his past couple starts).

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more details about that later tonight. This could all change too, but as of now, he's slated to start on Tuesday.

I hope this is true...I've been hoping we'd find some more time for El Duque to sit out before the All Star Break, that way in late July and August when we actually need him, he'll be more refreshed.

And if we're going to give BMac another shot, I can't think of a better team to throw him into the fire against than the Royals, even if they've been hot since switching managers.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Guys i heard on the radio that El Duque is supposed to start monday.  They said he would be ready to go.

If Jason posts that B-Mac is heading to the show, I'd take his word on it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Personally I want Brandon to focus more on his changeup.  If he does that he'll be rocking and rolling in Chicago and he'll stick in the rotation, imo. 

I puke everytime Duque pitches so I'm in a good move.

Agreed on Brandon. He used that pitch so effectively in Spring Training and just didn't throw it at all while he was up here for his two starts.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Now any reason Brandon wont start monday? Just because of the way the travel works out, or is it when was the last time Bradon started for the Knights.

This is me reading between the lines here. Travel probably has something to do with it. I think this was a relatively last second move. But more than likely I think the Sox decided for sure after the past week's struggles against Arizona that they wanted to break up Duque and Contreras. The day off on Thursday allows them to do that.

Plus if Brandon is up for an extended period of time, you once again break up two guys that would be the biggest questionmarks on the staff.

But again, I think travel is almost just as big. I think they like bringing up a guy a day earlier so he can at least semi adjust.

Rotation adjustment: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will not miss his scheduled start Monday against Kansas City, despite suffering from a little bit of stiffness and fatigue in his right shoulder. The lack of pain, though, makes it different from the problem that sent Hernandez to the disabled list on May 22.

The White Sox's goal for Hernandez is to keep him healthy and fresh for the long haul, as opposed to simply making sure the right-hander is ready for his next start. The upcoming schedule affords the South Siders the opportunity for a Hernandez respite, and possibly could lead to Jon Garland starting the series finale next weekend against the Cubs.

If Hernandez pitches Monday, he would be on schedule to work on five days' rest Sunday against the Cubs. But Garland, who is pitching Tuesday against the Royals, could be moved up two days from a June 28 start in Detroit to pitch on normal rest, thus giving Hernandez a nice seven-day break in between starts with off-days on Thursday and next Monday.

Pitching coach Don Cooper knows the option exists. As of Saturday, though, the starting hurlers still were on their regular schedule.

"I'm assuming, until I see otherwise, that El Duque will be in his normal spot every single time," Cooper said. "The biggest leverage we do have is the schedule, the off-day and [brandon] McCarthy in the wings ready to pitch if we need him. He's a guy we trust."

"He's been ordered to let us know what's going on," Williams added of El Duque. "When he goes out there and he's comfortable and healthy, he's one of the best in the game."

Edited by White Sox Josh

how come MB wont ever get to pitch against the cubs. I want to see that so bad, what the f!!!!!!

Either way, I think BMAC will be fine, El Duque has been s***ty lately and its pretty obvious by the look of his fastball and his reluctance to throw it, that something has been wrong for a while.