Report: Brandon McCarthy to Start on Monday

Chisoxfn

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
I agree with you.  I'd like to see us add a veteran who can work long innings out of the bullpen and make spot starts if needed.

id like to see kip wells back, its possible but i know it wont happen, or maybe aaron harang, hes doin decent this year, other than that i dont know who would be a decent fifth or long reliever option thats available

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Jas, you said somethings just weren't right with Brandon when he got back  down to Charlotte, could you elaborate??

Can't comment on that, but to say the least Brandon didn't enjoy Charlotte and that ballpark.

I'm hoping the best for McCarthy, but unless he's magically developed a servicable changeup, or 3 mph on his fastball, it may be a struggle. He's essentially a two pitch pitcher: plus curveball, straight low 90's fastball. With these soft tossers, if you don't have good location up/down, inside/outside, you will be hit hard.

Perhaps a start against the lowly Kansas City Royals will be just what is needed for his confidence. However, both of his starts, most noticeably in Texas, hard hit outs were recording throughout his innings pitched .

If Sergio Mitre can string together two quality starts, anyone should be able to. You'd think by accident some pitcher from our minor leagues within 5 years would experience immediate success. And we don't even need a complete game, 10 K shutout--just enough to keep our team in the game.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm hoping the best for McCarthy, but unless he's magically developed a servicable changeup, or 3 mph on his fastball, it may be a struggle. He's essentially a two pitch pitcher: plus curveball, straight low 90's fastball. With these soft tossers, if you don't have good location up/down, inside/outside, you will be hit hard.

Perhaps a start against the lowly Kansas City Royals will be just what is needed for his confidence. However, both of his starts, most noticeably in Texas, hard hit outs were recording throughout his innings pitched . 

If Sergio Mitre can string together two quality starts, anyone should be able to. You'd think by accident some pitcher from our minor leagues within 5 years would experience immediate success. And we don't even need a complete game, 10 K shutout--just enough to keep our team in the game.

Brandon has more than a serviceable changeup, problem was it wasn't utilized his first time up. The changeup is one of the big reasons he dominated during spring training. In fact his curveball wasn't even working that well in Arizona, so once he gets rolling you'll see him whipping out a good to plus curve and a good to plus changeup along with his FB which is a good pitch (based on his command and the downward plane he gets).

I also get the feeling you'll see the changeup a little bit more this time around.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
With the off-days on Thursday the 23rd and Monday the 27th, won't they be able to skip McCarthy's second turn in the rotation and pitch Garland against the Cubs on Sunday instead?

But Bmac owns the cubs