The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Jason Schmidt Contract:

'05: $8.75 /2 = $4.375

'06: $10.0 option

Edgardo Alfonso:

'05: $6.5 /2 = $3.25

'06: $7.0

Combined:

'05: $15.25 /2 = $7.625

'06: $17.0

Total Salary taking on = $24.625

--------------------------------

Is that really affordable?

For what I am looking at for potential payroll for 2006 (based both on historical increases vs attendance and a continued uptrend in attendance), we would basically be spending all of our money if we brought back both Thomas and Konerko for 2005 as something close to what they are making in 2005

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my 2 cents. Sweeney still has a lot ahead of him. At his young age, he could still mature and progress into a MLB hitter and OF. He would take a lot of stress of trading Anderson. If Anderson is traded, we still have Sweeney to depend on. If it is vica versa and Sweeney is traded, we need him to develop quicker, putting more pressure on him to perform.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Burnett was injured in '03 but had Tommy John's Surgery early in the season. He came back after the All-Star break of '04 and has been pretty healthy since.

The TJ Surgery seems to have strengthened his elbow and his arm problems are all but gone. He's not even close to as injury prone as Wood.

Well that makes me feel better. He's got a hell of an arm, and if his injuries have subsided like you said, I'd take a long look at him if the price is right.

But I'd still be concerned. The guy has never started 30 games in a season.

A.J. Burnett - Stats

He's never won over 12 games either. Not sure if his injuries are comparable to Wood's, but his career stats are.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Well that makes me feel better.  He's got a hell of an arm, and if his injuries have subsided like you said, I'd take a long look at him if the price is right.

But I'd still be concerned.  The guy has never started 30 games in a season.

A.J. Burnett - Stats

Regarding AJ Burnett's durability issues:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
A.J. Burnett has some serious durability issues that must be looked at before even thinking about trading for him.

'99 - GS: 7  IP: 41.1  ERA: 3.48
'00 - GS: 13 IP: 82.2  ERA: 4.79
'01 - GS: 27 IP: 173.1 ERA: 4.05
'02 - GS: 29 IP: 204.1 ERA: 3.30
'03 - GS: 4  IP: 23.0  ERA: 4.70
'04 - GS: 19 IP: 120.0 ERA: 3.68
'05 - GS: 15 IP: 103.1 ERA: 3.14

He's played 7 professional seasons in his career (5 Full -1 for Rookie season -1 for injury in '03) and over those 7 seasons he's only had 1 seaon of 200 IP or more and he's only had 2 seasons of 150 IP or more. In the other 5 seosons he didn't even break 121 IP in any of them.

This should be a serious concern for any pitcher that thows as hard as he does.

Last year was his comback season after having Tommy John's surgery at the beginning of the '03 season. He has only missed a few starts since then which is incouraging seeing how TJ surgery tends to strengthen the arms of some pitchers who have the surgery.

Before you just start throwing McCarthy, Sweeney, Anderson, Marte or any other prospects/major league talent at them you first have to be absolutely sure that he is fully back from the injury and a flare up is not on the horizon.

I know that it is impossible to gaurentee a player will not get injured but when you're going to be dealing some of your most promising prospects and/or major league players you have to take into account his past injuries.

It's obvious that this team is being built around pitching and defense so I wouldn't be suprised if Kenny traded for burnett or schmidt and gave up top offensive prospects for them, maybe even both sweeney and anderson as the main parts for burnett and a quality bullpen arm.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
It looks like Burnett will be going to Baltimore

Good. I'd rather deal from the farm system and get Schmidt than deal Marte along with a couple top spects for Burnett. Plus Schmidt has an option for next year if the Sox so choose, while Burnett is a FA set to make more than the $10 million option Schmidt has...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Regarding AJ Burnett's durability issues:

Sorry, missed that post. I'm not saying that I wouldn't love him on our staff, especially considering that we don't need him to be an ace out there. Just saying that we should proceed with caution. And by that I mean not giving up too much for a guy who's only a year removed from a major surgery on his throwing arm.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
FOR SALE?

The Chronicle asked a scout for a National League team in contention to rank the five Giants who might be most desirable to other teams for the stretch drive, regardless of their contracts. Here is the scout's list, plus some comments:

1. Jason Schmidt

"I know for sure one team is actively pursuing Schmidt. No doubt he is No. 1."

2. Omar Vizquel

"Vizquel, he came here to win. Now that Barry (Bonds) is out, you're taking a big player out of the equation."

I don't know about Alfonzo, but Omar Vizquel would look terrific playing for the Sox. Doubtful it will happen though because I can't see the Sox making Uribe a $3M per year backup.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't know about Alfonzo, but Omar Vizquel would look terrific playing for the Sox. Doubtful it will happen though because I can't see the Sox making Uribe a $3M per year backup.

what about a 3M per year 3rd basemen if crede is dealt

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Well that makes me feel better.  He's got a hell of an arm, and if his injuries have subsided like you said, I'd take a long look at him if the price is right.

But I'd still be concerned.  The guy has never started 30 games in a season.

A.J. Burnett - Stats

He's never won over 12 games either.  Not sure if his injuries are comparable to Wood's, but his career stats are.

Wood has been alot healthier and more dependable than Burnett:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5982/career

In fact, Wood has been alot better period.

I realize the schmidt thing may have been said over there on SF radio, but they mentioned the prospects too? it seems on sports radio they never mention names of prospects unless a deal is extremely close or came extremely close to happening. do we have any local radio here mentioning anything like this or any other confirmed sources that even teh sox could be talking to SF?

Here is my take on the Schmidt thing. If it is out in the media, it is the San Francisco side trying to drum up interest and start a bidding war. IF Kenny is involved, you know he is not saying anything about it. My take is this is a smokescreen by SF, and there isn't really anything going on from our side, except maybe a cursory phonecall, and nothing more... there is just too much attention being put on this to be KW's style.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Here is my take on the Schmidt thing.  If it is out in the media, it is the San Francisco side trying to drum up interest and start a bidding war.  IF Kenny is involved, you know he is not saying anything about it.  My take is this is a smokescreen by SF, and there isn't really anything going on from our side, except maybe a cursory phonecall, and nothing more... there is just too much attention being put on this to be KW's style.

Don't rain on our parade!

My giddiness level is soaring. These rumors about Schmidt are driven into my head so deep, I can hardly think of anything else.

And maybe KW is involved and keeping quiet, but SF is the one opening their big yaps to get more interest in Schmidt. I don't know how they work. Are they like KW and keep things quiet, or are they very public?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Don't rain on our parade!

My giddiness level is soaring.  These rumors about Schmidt are driven into my head so deep, I can hardly think of anything else.

And maybe KW is involved and keeping quiet, but SF is the one opening their big yaps to get more interest in Schmidt.  I don't know how they work.  Are they like KW and keep things quiet, or are they very public?

Depends.

If multiple teams are interested in the same player, that GM could go about it different ways. Say one contender makes a weak offer, the GM probably doesn't want other contenders knowing how weak it was. Then they know to give up just a little more to be in a better position.

But if one contender makes an outrageuous offer, the GM probably wants every other contender to know this in hopes that someone else will wow them even further.

Schmidt is having velocity problems, is already in his 30s, and has struggled this year...not exactly the best guy in the world to trade for. Did I mention there's a 28 year old fireballer who's pitched over 100 innings and has an ERA in the low-mid 3s potentially on the block?

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Schmidt is having velocity problems, is already in his 30s, and has struggled this year...not exactly the best guy in the world to trade for. Did I mention there's a 28 year old fireballer who's pitched over 100 innings and has an ERA in the low-mid 3s potentially on the block?

Jason Schmidt has had Cy Young quality years, we could re-sign him for less than market value, and we wouldn't even have to give up anybody on the major league roseter (besides Crede, who is swapped for Alfonzo). And from other accounts, Schmidt's velocity was back up the last few games. Schmidt's only 32, that's not old and it's pretty much still the prime for pitchers.

We sign AJ Burnett, he walks and signs with the Yankees in the offseason anyway.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)

the hope is that schmidt is well on his way to being healthy again. and when healthy ill take schmidt over just about anyone. maybe not santana and maybe not clemens. but a healthy schmidt with upper 90s heat, which he could get back to, is downright dominating

Until I see a convincing run from Schmidt (2 starts is NOT a convincing run), I'd rather the Sox take a run at Burnett. Just because he only has this year left on his contract doesn't mean he won't sign a longer term deal here (see: Freddy Garcia).

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)

injuries, Schmidt seems to have recovered, he's pitched 8-inning shutouts his past 2 starts, and struck out 10 in his last. either one works for me, though.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Until I see a convincing run from Schmidt (2 starts is NOT a convincing run), I'd rather the Sox take a run at Burnett. Just because he only has this year left on his contract doesn't mean he won't sign a longer term deal here (see: Freddy Garcia).

2 starts is really the start of a convincing run. 30 is not that old anyway, he'd be a great pickup. so would Burnett, even if he wouldn't sign for a few more years here. he'd give our playoff rotation a serious boost (Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Burnett or Schmidt? Contreras and El Duque coming out of the pen. that'd be sick). I hope KW goes out and gets either one of them.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Seriously?  I will nut in my pants if you are telling the truth. :lolhitting

Would there be a better rotation in baseball than this?

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

:o  :pray

Jabroni:

You are so wicked man! Now you got my excitement WAY UP!!! It's going to be painful falling down if things don't work out!

I'll kill for that kind of pitching lineup. :D