What's Monroe Smoking?

The Ginger Kid

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Yes the Tiggies lineup looks good on paper. But when you strike out a lot as hitters and don't draw any walks, you ain't going to score many runs unless you can hit for a lot of power, which is almost impossible at Comerica.

^^ Bingo.

They have a power-hitting lineup that swings for the fences even though they play in a massive pitcher's park. Not a good combination. Even Dmitri Young's sorry ass finally said that he may have to change his approach of swinging for the fences when they are at home.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these guys do is make excuses...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250630106&prov=ap

Mike Maroth (5-9) dropped to 1-7 in his last nine starts, allowing five runs and six hits in seven innings. All five runs scored on homers by Joe Crede and Carl Everett.

``I made two bad pitches,'' he said. ``Without those pitches, it is a different game.''

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
For Nook's Sake let's compare positions:

C: I-Rod vs. AJ- I-Rod

1B: Konerko vs. Shelton- Konerko

2B: Polanco vs. Iguchi- Iguchi

3B: Inge vs. Crede- Inge

SS: Guillen vs. Uribe- Guillen

RF: Ordonez? vs. Dye- Dye

CF: Logan vs. Aaron- Aaron

LF: Pods vs. White- Pods

DH: Frank vs. ?- Frank

I'm not even gonna compare the rest cause all that is in the Sox favor.

3 out of 9 positions go to the tigers.  enough said.

I'm not even sure about I-Rod. Wednesday he came up after Politte walked the bases loaded with no outs and struck out swinging on 3 consecutive pitches that I didn't think were in the strike zone. A good illustration of the 'great' player hurting his team because he wants to be a hero.

I was shaking my head at the time, here's a guy with the game on his bat -even a 6-4-3 double play roller would have won for the Tigers- and he goes hacking away like home run derby. Yuk, give me AJ, he would have walked or got hit something.

I'm not even sure about I-Rod.  Wednesday he came up after Politte walked the bases loaded with no outs and struck out swinging on 3 consecutive pitches that I didn't think were in the strike zone.   A good illustration of the 'great' player hurting his team because he wants to be a hero. 

I was shaking my head at the time, here's a guy with the game on his bat  -even a 6-4-3 double play roller would have won for the Tigers- and he goes hacking away like home run derby.  Yuk, give me AJ, he would have walked or got hit something.

One K doesn't make I-Rod suck. I-Rod is better than AJ, period. He hits for a much higher AVG and he is a much better defensive catcher. His arm makes AJ's look like a 10 year old's. AJ gets to hit at the Cell while I-Rod has to hit at the cavernous Comerica. I-Rod would probably have 10+ homers if he played for us. I like AJ and he is light years better than Olivo but I-Rod is better. Just think about how much of an Ozzie-type player I-Rod is. He can hit, run (even steal a few bases), and play great defense. I know it's fun being a homer but come on...

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
Just think about how much of an Ozzie-type player I-Rod is.  He can hit, run (even steal a few bases), and play great defense.  I know it's fun being a homer but come on...

No denying Irod's talent. But he seems to play Ozzie-type ball only when it suits him instead of when the team really needs it. He can get so hot, like in 2003, that it doesn't matter, his pure talent overcomes his lack of situational awareness. His numbers will always look great but I think his team would win more games if he would give himself up when appropriate.

No denying Irod's talent.  But he seems to play Ozzie-type ball only when it suits him instead of when the team really needs it.  He can get so hot, like in 2003, that it doesn't matter, his pure talent overcomes his lack of situational awareness.  His numbers will always look great but I think his team would win more games if he would give himself up when appropriate.

I-Rod's 2003 playoff stats:

21 for 67 (.313 AVG)

3 HR

17 RBI

9 BB

12 K

He was clutch when it mattered most. That's one of the reasons he has a ring.

Edited by Jabroni

not 2 mention he suffered the same injury javy lopez did this year but is playing through it, you think that might be one of the things that is affecting his swing a lot.... there were some rumors about us getting pudge and I could only wish they came true.... as good as Pieryznski has been for us... pudge is >>>>>>>>

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
One K doesn't make I-Rod suck.  I-Rod is better than AJ, period.  He hits for a much higher AVG and he is a much better defensive catcher.  His arm makes AJ's look like a 10 year old's.  AJ gets to hit at the Cell while I-Rod has to hit at the cavernous Comerica.  I-Rod would probably have 10+ homers if he played for us.  I like AJ and he is light years better than Olivo but I-Rod is better.  Just think about how much of an Ozzie-type player I-Rod is.  He can hit, run (even steal a few bases), and play great defense.  I know it's fun being a homer but come on...

I basically agree with you, except the word around the league has been that I-Rod calls a horrible game and doesn't handle pitchers very well. And if that is indeed the case, I'd prefer to have AJ based on how he's handled our staff. That doesn't make him the better player, just the better fit for the Sox.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I basically agree with you, except the word around the league has been that I-Rod calls a horrible game and doesn't handle pitchers very well.  And if that is indeed the case, I'd prefer to have AJ based on how he's handled our staff.  That doesn't make him the better player, just the better fit for the Sox.

Where is this word??? Did you watch the unbelieveable pitching performance of the staff in 2003??? They didnt get a ring because of their offense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Where is this word??? Did you watch the unbelieveable pitching performance of the staff in 2003???  They didnt get a ring because of their offense.

I'm just going by the explanation given by "experts" as to why there was a lack of interest in IRod the last two times he hit free agency. They used this as the reason that nobody was biting on his contract demands.

The accusations included calling mostly fastballs with runners on to increase his chances of throwing runners out, along with not studying game film. I obviously am not in the inside here and I am not sure of the validity of this argument. I just heard it repeatedly during his time on the market. I'm sure others here remember it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
2005 Runs scored

Sox = 370

Det = 334

Ya.  I see your point.

Pwn3d

Anyways, maybe it is JMHO...but I do think that if you put both the Sox and Tigers in neutral parks and neutral pitching staffs for an entire year that the Tigers would outscore the Sox. As proven by how many runs the Sox have outscored the Tigers by(24, if I did my math correctly...Sox have outscored them 39-15 this year in their head to head matchups), the pitching staffs are very much not neutral at all, and the fact that the Sox play in a launching pad, while the Tigers play in a cavernous park. Neutralizing the runs that they have scored against each other, due to 'unfair advantages", I think that the parks alone may make up for the .2 runs alone.

While concrete evidence does not support me, I'm still going to believe that the Tigers lineup is better than the Sox lineup is at scoring runs...similar to how the 00-04 Sox lineups were better at scoring runs than the Sox are now. I could care less...the Sox only have 53 wins, are only 10.5 up on second place Minny, and are only up (lol) 16 on 4th place Detroit.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
I was hoping this was a Jm J Bullock thread. Seriously, Monroe is the newest member of Soxtalk, and he sits in on most of the game threads and, therefore, came to the realization that this White Sox team sucks.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm just going by the explanation given by "experts" as to why there was a lack of interest in IRod the last two times he hit free agency.  They used this as the reason that nobody was biting on his contract demands.

The accusations included calling mostly fastballs with runners on to increase his chances of throwing runners out, along with not studying game film.  I obviously am not in the inside here and I am not sure of the validity of this argument.  I just heard it repeatedly during his time on the market.  I'm sure others here remember it.

I think he mostly got the reputation of being a bad game caller because of all his time in texas. Which in honesty he wasnt calling bad games texas just didnt have any real good pitchers so instead of saying their SP sucked they went and blamed the C, and than he left and their starters still sucked.

Than when in Florida Pudge handled the Marlins staff beautifully especially in the playoff's and all the starters had nothing but praise to give to him, Willis even said the reason for his success was because of Pudge.

Now in Detroit all i hear is the starters praising him again, and with basicly same group of starters they improved greatly from there 2003 season to the 2004 season with Pudge.

So basicly I think that the rumor of him being a bad game caller is just bs, there were rumors about AJ not being a good game caller at one time too, and look how much bs was that. And than Sandy Alomar was apposed to be a good game caller but I think except for Buehrle most of our pitchers did worse when he was calling the game.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Pwn3d

Anyways, maybe it is JMHO...but I do think that if you put both the Sox and Tigers in neutral parks and neutral pitching staffs for an entire year that the Tigers would outscore the Sox.  As proven by how many runs the Sox have outscored the Tigers by(24,  if I did my math correctly...Sox have outscored them 39-15 this year in their head to head matchups), the pitching staffs are very much not neutral at all, and the fact that the Sox play in a launching pad, while the Tigers play in a cavernous park.  Neutralizing the runs that they have scored against each other, due to 'unfair advantages", I think that the parks alone may make up for the .2 runs alone.

While concrete evidence does not support me, I'm still going to believe that the Tigers lineup is better than the Sox lineup is at scoring runs...similar to how the 00-04 Sox lineups were better at scoring runs than the Sox are now.  I could care less...the Sox only have 53 wins, are only 10.5 up on second place Minny, and are only up (lol) 16 on 4th place Detroit.

Ok. Good point. Now let's take this a bit farther. Subtracting the head to head results from the rest of the league.

Sox: 370-39=331

Det: 334-15= 319

If I remember correctly, Detroit scored 10 last night, and the Sox 2 ... so ....

Sox: 331 + 2 = 333

Det: 319 + 10 = 329

Which brings things current. Basically, what we have determined here is that it's very close, no matter how you look at it. Though runs scored on the road might give some more insight to this, but personally, it's not worth the effort.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Well, not sure what games Monroe was watching, but Alan Trammel gave us some mad props after todays game.  From MLB.com...

I was in my dads car for the game Freddy pitched and heard the Tigers broadcast via XM and they had Trammel on before the game and all he did was say nice things about the Sox.

Basically he said there is a reason they win all these one run games, they do what it takes to win and prevent the other teams from doing it. He did nothing but tip his cap to the way the Sox have played.

Let Monroe think what he wants, but let the Sox record do the talking. I'm not concerned, the whole league can call the Sox s***ty, as long as they keep winning I'll be happy (Mr. Obvious). :D

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
I know Inge is hitting better than Crede, but he's far from a good defender. His error total is killing my keeper team.

Its funny, I was reading something and people consider Inge a very special defensive player. I know I've seen him make some really good plays, but he must just lack with the footwork at 3rd base since he's having to adjust to the position.

I've long been an Inge fan.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
IROD is a classic case of no more steriods = end of career. As for the Tigers, they should have a couple of seasons where they finish over .500 before they run their mouths.

Are you crazy, first of all IROD was never a power hitter and its not proven he has done steroids. And right now he is still having a very good year offensively even though he is playing hurt and with pain.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Are you crazy, first of all IROD was never a power hitter and its not proven he has done steroids.  And right now he is still having a very good year offensively even though he is playing hurt and with pain.

.294 average- .308 obp ( five walks?)- .455 slugging, and a total ops of .763 for eight million dollars? Pierzynski's ops stands at .744 and is making 5.75 million less this year.