Jenks heading to Chicago..

minorsfan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(minorsfan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Well I know I don't post too often but believe me when I did post this I did so after confirmation from a very reliable "source". 

I don't like rumors especially on the net so I made sure this was 100% true before choosing to bring it to this board.  It is certainly your right to be suspicious since I am not a regular poster. I am telling you I only post "confirmed" info.  But if you don't believe Ozzie well I guess all I can tell you is wait til you see him in uniform.

BTW...  There is a press release on the Official White Sox website.

As Heads said it had a lot to do with a previous Jenks rumor falling through. He was supposed to be headed to Charlotte, but the Sox pulled back on that for some reason. It had nothing to do with who posted it, but rather the player mentioned. You know, 'fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.' You were right anyway, so we'll trust you more from now on. :cheers

QUOTE(obno @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Ozzie is a mullet-head.  Bajenaru maybe to quality off the field to fit the "ozzie vibe"

Jenks has 2 pitches better than anything Baj throws and has a much higher potential to help both now and in the future.

Are the Sox interested in winning or just "promote this guy because he's next in line and is a great guy"????

People need to take a step back and look at the big picture for 2 seconds. Jenks has the potential to be a K-Rod type impact player now. Baj has the chance to be a middle releiver now.

I like Baj, but the love for him around here because he is a great guy goes beyond the realm of reason. People need to separate being a great guy from being "the right move for the major league club"...

Guest JimH
Jenks has 2 pitches better than anything Baj throws and has a much higher potential to help both now and in the future.

Are the Sox interested in winning or just "promote this guy because he's next in line and is a great guy"????

People need to take a step back and look at the big picture for 2 seconds.  Jenks has the potential to be a K-Rod type impact player now.  Baj has the chance to be a middle releiver now.

I like Baj, but the love for him around here because he is a great guy goes beyond the realm of reason.  People need to separate being a great guy from being "the right move for the major league club"...

Great post. Baj has great AAA numbers and I certainly root for him. But Jenks is unlike any other reliever they have, in terms of his ability.

I agree with randar and jim to a point, but what does a guy have to do to prove himself?? I like Jenks stuff as well, but that does not mean he will be able to handle the big leagues. He may be able to, and if he does, that's great. But I'd say there is equal chance that he will struggle once hitters have been able to see him once. If he has trouble with control, it may happen sooner.

Great stuff helps, but it does not a pitcher make. Personally, I'd have tested Jenks in AAA first, but that's just me.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I agree with randar and jim to a point, but what does a guy have to do to prove himself??  I like Jenks stuff as well, but that does not mean he will be able to handle the big leagues.  He may be able to, and if he does, that's great.  But I'd say there is equal chance that he will struggle once hitters have been able to see him once.  If he has trouble with control, it may happen sooner. 

Great stuff helps, but it does not a pitcher make.  Personally, I'd have tested Jenks in AAA first, but that's just me.

I don't disagree, but now is the time the Sox have the opportunity to go for that homerun. If Jenks has to go back to the minors, send him to AAA and Baj to Chicago, no biggie...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

People need to take a step back and look at the big picture for 2 seconds.  Jenks has the potential to be a K-Rod type impact player now.  Baj has the chance to be a middle releiver now.

I like Baj, but the love for him around here because he is a great guy goes beyond the realm of reason.  People need to separate being a great guy from being "the right move for the major league club"...

I like Baj as much as the next person and he's definately a great guy who deserves to be in the majors right now. However, Bobby Jenks may just be the best relief prospect in the minors (not just with the Sox). He has two plus plus pitches and is developing a solid power sinker.

There are a lot of valid reasons for Jenks to get the call over Baj. I know some people may not like them and to me Baj would be on about 10 teams right now (if not more), but he's in a tough situation in Chicago, but hopefully he'll break through here, however if he doesn't I too will root for him to get traded to another org where he may get his shot.

Still, lets not look at this as Baj not being good or thought of highly by the Sox, rather that Jenks is just that stinking good. He may be coming from AA and may have some other issues on the side, but he's also got a ridiculous arm and thats something you can't look past.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
And I don't know if it's Jenks vs. Baj so much as it is Walker vs. Baj. I could see Jenks over him. I just have a real tough time with Walker over him.

I still believe Walker got the nod because he's a lefty. I don't agree with it, but it's not my call to make. :huh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
I still believe Walker got the nod because he's a lefty.  I don't agree with it, but it's not my call to make.  :huh

Yep, the Baj vs. Walker argument is silly, it's like saying the team should call up a 3rd baseman when they're in need of an OF'er.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)

If the arguement is potential over ability, why is Kevin Walker up here over Arnie Munoz?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Yep, the Baj vs. Walker argument is silly, it's like saying the team should call up a 3rd baseman when they're in need of an OF'er.

So you are saying that if you are LH you don't have to be any good?? I don't buy the lefty/righty argument here. I might, if the lefty could actually get people out. Hell, I'd rather have Munoz in the pen than Walker.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
I think he threw all fastballs except for 1.

2 Curveballs tonight.

The first was with 2 strikes to Crawford got him to ground out to 1st.

The second was with 2 strikes to Lugo, got it down, swing and a miss, for the strike out.

18 pitches, 11 strikes, 16 fastballs, 2 curveballs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
2 Curveballs tonight.

The first was with 2 strikes to Crawford got him to ground out to 1st.

The second was with 2 strikes to Lugo, got it down, swing and a miss, for the strike out.

18 pitches, 11 strikes, 16 fastballs, 2 curveballs.

Oh yeah i forgot about the last one to Lugo was only thinking if crawford... with Lugo I was only thinking of how bad he looked

:gosox3:

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
So you are saying that if you are LH you don't have to be any good??  I don't buy the lefty/righty argument here.  I might, if the lefty could actually get people out.  Hell, I'd rather have Munoz in the pen than Walker.

I'm going to tie my son's right hand behind his back until he's 10 years old.

Yes, they have Walker up there because they can send him up and down at will, and he is LH'd, replacing Marte while he is on the DL. Otherwise, Cotts is the only lefty in the pen.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm going to tie my son's right hand behind his back until he's 10 years old.

Yes, they have Walker up there because they can send him up and down at will, and he is LH'd, replacing Marte while he is on the DL.  Otherwise, Cotts is the only lefty in the pen.

You could be ruining a HOF catcher or 3B. :nono