AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

I've never understood the obsessive need to get Burnett. He's a good pitcher who would look nice in our rotation, but if it costs us Contreras and Marte, I'm really not sure if that makes us better.

The Count's inconsistancy drives me insane, but Burnett's history shows that he won't help my sanity either. I'd take him, but only if it didn't cost us a guy that is currently doing a decent job in our rotation. My guess is that Florida's asking price won't be worth it. With that being said, I think we'd be better served finding a middle of the road guy that we wouldn't have to break the bank for. If that kind of pitcher isn't available, then go find some bats or bullpen help.

One more thing, if the Marte we saw last night is the Marte we're gonna see the rest of the season, you can't underestimate the importance he'd have in our bullpen. If he's involved in any trade package, it better be because the Sox believe that he is still the same inconsistant Marte that we've seen the past year and a half.

Edited by KevHead0881

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm not sure what you mean but by this year's performance and other than Santana's 04 2nd half, MB > Johan.

Hmm... I'm trying to make a point. Basically, Burnett might be a little bit better (or maybe not once you adjust for league and park) than Contreras. Even if he is better, he isn't really in a different class. I would say Burnett and Contreras are both ideally suited as #3-5 staters (bottom of the rotation). Neither has produced like an ace. Thus... why trade? You're giving up something (either Marte or Everett and maybe a prospect) to get something that really isn't a significant upgrade over what you have.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Even if we didn't sign Burnett after this season, the trade wouldn't necessarily be a rental in a way.  We still free up the $8+ million Jose would have made.  That could easily go to someone of similar impact that Burnett would have.

AJ Burnett and Kevin Millwood will be the best two FA pitchers on the market next year, given that Schmidt's option is picked up. If you mean spend the money for a pitcher of Burnett's impact, that is unlikely.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
On ESPN News today Jason Stark said FLorida will be more than willing to trade AJ Burnett to the White Sox for Contreras and Marte.  Otherwise, he may go to the Mets!!

I think he said Contreras, Marte, and one solid major league prospect - which is not the same as saying Contreras and Marte.

KW would be stupid to make a move before dukes start on monday. After that we'll see. I think we should wait until duke has had 2 starts and then we can see what we need. But the problem is that burnett could be dealt by then. The much cheaper and more reliable option would be Ted Lilly. I think that would be a better trade and we probably wouldn't have to give up marte or mabye even contreras, just a few prospects. It would also be nice to get Chacin! That would be kick ass.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Burnett is the sexy choice.  Let's just get Lilly and call it a day.

I'm really starting to lean this way as well. As much as Burnett is intriguing getting Lilly adds depth to the rotation, could be a bullpen saver as well and obviously it wouldn't cost us as much. I'm pro Lilly at this point or a pitcher like him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm really starting to lean this way as well.  As much as Burnett is intriguing getting Lilly adds depth to the rotation, could be a bullpen saver as well and obviously it wouldn't cost us as much.  I'm pro Lilly at this point or a pitcher like him.

I just don't get why Lilly would be on the market when the Jays are one of the teams hot after Burnett. If they are looking to add pitching, than I don't see them moving Lilly. It would essentially be counterproductive.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
I just don't get why Lilly would be on the market when the Jays are one of the teams hot after Burnett.  If they are looking to add pitching, than I don't see them moving Lilly.  It would essentially be counterproductive.

Yeah, I actually agree with that, I don't think Lilly is getting traded, I probably should have said that. But if he was available the I'd love to have him, more or less I was talking a guy like Lilly, who can add depth to the rotation, be a solid 5th starter and also be a long reliever when needed.

Steve Stone just made a good point on WSCR, basically he said KW probably will make a minor move soon, and then wait for a blockbuster trade if one is needed.

Stone feels that with the lead the Sox have they are under no pressure to make a move right now, and can wait a week or two for a few more teams to fall out of it and more players become available

I'm going to throw out a name here, but Odalis Perez. He's fed up with the Dodgers organization and just signed a 3 yr deal (maybe it was longer) for them a year or two ago (can't remember which off-season it was).

He's a lefty, isn't signed to a horrid contract, and is a pretty good pitcher when healthy. The only issue is that he's been banged up this year and the Dodgers may not want to give him up, since they are technically still in the race (especially when they get there bats back).

At the same time, if they truly are fed up with him, now would be a good time. Perez is mad at how the organization rushed him and Gagne back from injuries, mainly him. Says he was in a rehab assignemtn, told them he absolutely couldn't go another inning, and they threw him out there anyway and he ended up re-injuring something and it delayed his comeback.

He hasn't been great this year (but he's finally getting healthy) and last year he was tremendous once again (2 of his past 3 seasons have been very good, imo). He may pitch at Dodger stadium but he has good stuff and limits hits and is a solid strikeout pitcher.

He's gotten hit hard in his two starts since coming off the DL though.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Steve Stone just made a good point on WSCR, basically he said KW probably will make a minor move soon, and then wait for a blockbuster trade if one is needed.

Stone feels that with the lead the Sox have they are under no pressure to make a move right now, and can wait a week or two for a few more teams to fall out of it and more players become available

That makes sense. Of course there isn't much time until Gload is in trouble. I'm assuming he doesn't have any options (could be wrong though) and his rehab stint ends on Monday.

This quote was from the Sun-Times:

There were more indications Thursday out of South Florida that the Sox have been the most aggressive of six teams interested in Burnett. The Marlins are said to be looking for a left-handed reliever with closing experience -- Damaso Marte fits the description -- and an outfielder who can help jump-start their offense -- Carl Everett could be a fit there. Both players also would be desired because of their relative affordability. A top prospect likely would have to be included.

:huh

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
This quote was from the Sun-Times:

:huh

Here's what I don't get. They have Cabrera (unless they plan on moving him to 3rd), Pierre, and Encarnacion (unless they plan on dealing him). I just don't see where Everett would fit in.

Of course if Lowell is dealt somewhere this makes more sense.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
I'm going to throw out a name here, but Odalis Perez.  He's fed up with the Dodgers organization and just signed a 3 yr deal (maybe it was longer) for them a year or two ago (can't remember which off-season it was).

He's a lefty, isn't signed to a horrid contract, and is a pretty good pitcher when healthy.  The only issue is that he's been banged up this year and the Dodgers may not want to give him up, since they are technically still in the race (especially when they get there bats back).

At the same time, if they truly are fed up with him, now would be a good time.  Perez is mad at how the organization rushed him and Gagne back from injuries, mainly him.  Says he was in a rehab assignemtn, told them he absolutely couldn't go another inning, and they threw him out there anyway and he ended up re-injuring something and it delayed his comeback. 

He hasn't been great this year (but he's finally getting healthy) and last year he was tremendous once again (2 of his past 3 seasons have been very good, imo).  He may pitch at Dodger stadium but he has good stuff and limits hits and is a solid strikeout pitcher. 

He's gotten hit hard in his two starts since coming off the DL though.

Didn't he just accept arbitration this past offseason to stay with L.A.??

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Didn't he just accept arbitration this past offseason to stay with L.A.??

If so, thats news to me, but I zoned out. I thought he was going to sign multi year but like I say I may be wrong. I know he doesn't make all that much this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Ya, I think its around 7 mill a year annually (which isn't too bad cause he's a pretty good pitcher, imo).

Ya, I have no clue why I thought he just took arbitration but that's a reasonable price for him and I'd love to have him. However because of that division the dodgers are in if they can get healthy they have a reasonable shot at winning that thing.