AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Sox appear O's main rival in pursuit of Burnett

There was no significant progress in talks between the Orioles and the Marlins for Burnett. Several other teams, including division foes Boston and the Toronto Blue Jays, remain interested. It still appears likely that Burnett won’t make his next start as a Marlin. The Orioles’ offer of reliever Jorge Julio, Hayden Penn and Larry Bigbie in exchange for Burnett and possibly either Mike Lowell or Juan Encarnacion appears to be the best one available…

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
we will not beat Boston in the playoffs if they get AJ Burnett

Most reports say Arroyo will be included in that trade. With Boston's s***ty pen and Schilling's healthy uncertain, I see no reason why even with Burnett we can't beat boston. Pitching wins and Boston has very little of it, even with Burnett.

Not to mention their defense is more than suspect...Boston is not a sound team by any stretch.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
we will not beat Boston in the playoffs if they get AJ Burnett

I'd almost rather they get Burnett. Then they can't improve their leaky bullpen. Burnett's straight fastballs the other night would look like big juicy meatballs to our sox hitters

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
You could make a case that Contreras has outperformed Burnett this season. To take on Lowell too would be silly.

Good point, and looking at it realistically, when you consider 1st half performance and career #'s you can expect the same thing from both of them the 2nd half, 5-6 wins. If you expect to get the same production then why trade? Then there's the playoffs, AJB has 0 experience, Contreras has some experience. The big difference here though is that you already have a relationship with Contreras and because of that Ozzie can go up to him before a playoff start and say "Jose, if you shake off your catcher I'm gonna pull you, no ands, ifs, or buts about it". To the contrary, there's really not enough time to establish a realtionship with AJB and that could lead to Ozzie sticking with the guy beyond what's prudent. So again, the one you have now has playoff experience and because of your established relationship you are comfortable in how you will handle him in that situation, the one you'd be trading for has no playoff experience and thus is a mystery as to how he will react plus your have not established a relationship and that could lead you into poor judgements with him. So then why trade?

To add on taking on a contract like Lowell's to boot is insane.

New York Daily News: Red Sox will get Burnett

Marlins righthander A.J. Burnett will be traded to the Red Sox within a week, an MLB official said yesterday. Boston plans to sign Burnett to an extension.

Red Sox special assistant Bill Lajoie watched Burnett's outing Thursday in Philadelphia, when he allowed six runs in five innings, including second-inning homers to Pat Burrell, Ryan Howard and Mike Lieberthal. Burnett is 5-6 with a 3.64 ERA in 18 starts this season.

"There is no truth at all to any deal we are making with the Marlins," Sox GM Theo Eptein said via an E-mail.

I'd stay out of this and let Baltimore/Boston/Toronto overpay for him and Lowell's awful contract.

Theo has already came out and said that his top five prospects are untouchable, and last night we had Bronson Arroyo performing a concert at Fenway, so I am really baffled at who the Red Sox would give up.

My guess is somehow taking on Lowell, and then giving up a Brandon Moss or something of that sort, but we do know one things for sure, the writer for the daily news should be shot. what a horrible report...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Theo has already came out and said that his top five prospects are untouchable, and last night we had Bronson Arroyo performing a concert at Fenway, so I am really baffled at who the Red Sox would give up.

My guess is somehow taking on Lowell, and then giving up a Brandon Moss or something of that sort, but we do know one things for sure, the writer for the daily news should be shot.  what a horrible report...

What the hell do expect, the New York papers love making up their own rumors.

Gammons says Boston is not close on a Burnett deal. He also said the Sox would have to send Contreras, Marte and either BMac or Anderson.

To put it succinctly .... f*** that.

Edited by YASNY

Hitting

Encarnacion never has been one to draw many walks, which made him a strong trade candidate in Los Angeles from the minute Paul De Podesta took over as general manager. His numbers suffered across the board because of the shoulder problem, and he finished the year in the bottom 10 in the majors in on-base percentage. Encarnacion has power to all fields and doesn't mind hitting with two strikes, but he still prefers to put the first pitch in play. A classic mistake hitter, he will deposit hanging breaking balls in the seats with the best of them. However, his overeager approach leaves him susceptible to quality offspeed pitches on the outer half.

Could we really afford to have another Uribe hitting on this team? There's just nothing about this possible trade to make you want to do it.

As has been noted, let's just get the hell out of the way and let Baltimore\Boston make this mistake.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Gammons says Boston is not close on a Burnett deal.  He also said the Sox would have to send Contreras, Marte and either BMac or Anderson.

To put it succinctly .... f*** that.

He also said that Lowell would have to come along in the deal. I hope we don't do it.

I have a freind on another board who scored a job within the Marlins organization this past offseason. Here was his input:

Personally, I havent heard any AJ trade talk around the office. In fact, all I've heard is people around the office saying trading AJ was not on the agenda. The word from on high was that we weren't going to move him. However, if the Sox moved in and knocked our socks off, we'd probably consider it. Look at all this "we...our" crap...what have I become?