AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
I would rather keeps Cotts than Marte.

I can't figure out why anyone, and i mean anyone, would consider trading one of our bullpen lefties without getting a lefty in return.

I mean, we've seen that Ozzie refuses to hold onto a bullpen without 2 lefties. Does someone here still think Kevin Walker is a suitable replacement lefty? The moment Marte went down, the first move we made was to bring back Walker.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
I can't figure out why anyone, and i mean anyone, would consider trading one of our bullpen lefties without getting a lefty in return.

I mean, we've seen that Ozzie refuses to hold onto a bullpen without 2 lefties.  Does someone here still think Kevin Walker is a suitable replacement lefty?  The moment Marte went down, the first move we made was to bring back Walker.

If Fla wants a lefty reliever in return. Im just saying I rather see Cotts go over Marte

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Marte pitched like he did a few years ago last night.. So I would hold on to him

He did pitch well, but I am going on this season, not just last night.

And I do agree that if we did trade one of the lefties we would have to look to aquire another one, because we don't have a replacement in the minors.

It's funny what one game's performance can do to how people feel about guys.

If marte struggles yesterday he's "done" and "not the same marte as a couple years ago", but instead he strikes out three guys and is now a stud reliever.

I hope he continues pitching lights out and his injury is in the past but I'm not gonna let one game (good or bad) determine a guy's value.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I would rather keeps Cotts than Marte.

That brings back some memories...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=19297&hl=cotts

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=19762&hl=cotts

and my personal favorite...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=32235&hl=cotts

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
If Fla wants a lefty reliever in return. Im just saying I rather see Cotts go over Marte

Flip a coin, I don't care.

Any tearing apart of the MLB roster could affect the winning chemistry that this team has.

I would tread lightly if I was KW.

I would love to snatch up burnett, but I am not sure about giving up marte. As we saw last night when he is healthy he has nasty stuff. I think he was struggling this year b/c of his shoulder injury he was hiding. Marte if healthy will get some big outs in the playoffs.....If florida is willing to replace Burnett with Jose it makes me think that they might know something that we dont........if they are sellers I would think they would like prospects instead........

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)

I mean, we've seen that Ozzie refuses to hold onto a bullpen without 2 lefties.  Does someone here still think Kevin Walker is a suitable replacement lefty?  The moment Marte went down, the first move we made was to bring back Walker.

in my opinion if they deal marte, they have to and will get one of wagner and guardado. wagner wont be as tough to get as most think. philly wants out of his contract, he has said he wants out, and they want to get something for him before he is a FA. besides unless boston offers up hanley or pedoria, which they wont do, we can beat any offer that Stl or Bos has. if they could deal marte + contreras for burnett then spin off a top prospect or two for wagner id jump all over it.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Leiter's salary would have to be paid by Fla.

You dont think that Carl and Marte's salary are close to leiter and Burnett? Anyone have a salary site i can check out?

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
It's funny what one game's performance can do to how people feel about guys.

If marte struggles yesterday he's "done" and "not the same marte as a couple years ago", but instead he strikes out three guys and is now a stud reliever.

I hope he continues pitching lights out and his injury is in the past but I'm not gonna let one game (good or bad) determine a guy's value.

The thing is he came out and looked healthy. Of course I would never deal Cotts.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
As far as reliever go, Partay aint a stud.

He's a good left handed option out of the bullpen who struggles heavily with control but has knockout stuff.

Dont let your White Sox fanship cloud your judgement that much.  However, he is a important part of our bullpen and if we move him we must replace him with another LHP, Gustavo Chacin is the one I want terribly, but Billy Wagner would be hot also.

Find me some relievers ( can you find any left handed?) that over the last three and a half years ( time marte has been with the sox) has an era of 2.57 and held both lefties and right handers to a .201 baa.

Have fun.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
You dont think that Carl and Marte's salary are close to leiter and Burnett?  Anyone have a salary site i can check out?

Burnett = $3.65 mill.

Leiter = $7 mill.

Carl= $4 mill.

Marte=$1.25 mill.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
is burnett THAT much better than JC?

i hate watching JC pitch, but he gets the job done.

No. Contreras has an ERA of 3.99 in the AL, Burnett has an ERA of 3.64 in the NL. They have nearly Identical WHIP's. Jose walks more but gives up fewer hits. Jose is also signed for next year, while Burnett is not, and would therefore cost $10 million or greater to keep.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
Find me some relievers ( can you find any left handed?) that over the last three and a half years ( time marte has been with the sox)  has an era of 2.57 and held both lefties and right handers to a .201 baa.

Have fun.

DING! That's what I'm talking about. It ain't one game. This guy is great when he's healthy.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Find me some relievers ( can you find any left handed?) that over the last three and a half years ( time marte has been with the sox)  has an era of 2.57 and held both lefties and right handers to a .201 baa.

Have fun.

Thank you.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
As far as reliever go, Partay aint a stud.

He's a good left handed option out of the bullpen who struggles heavily with control but has knockout stuff.

Disagree very very very strongly.