AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Burnett = $3.65 mill.

Leiter = $7 mill.

Carl= $4 mill.

Marte=$1.25 mill.

Well, Leiter isnt exactly a hot commodity right now, and Florida doesnt think too highly of him. I dont see why they wouldnt pay some of his salary, which prorated should be about 5 million between the two of them, and about 2.5 million between marte and everett. I dont know why the Marlins wouldnt be willing to shell out a million or so.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we are talking about Dealin' Kenny here, but I can't imagine him tearing up the roster that much to get Burnett or Wagner. I'm guessing somewhere along the lines of Moyer and Guardado...or maybe one of their younger pitchers like Meche or Franklin and Guardado. I think we are talking about one fell swoop. Plus we could get a Willie Bloomquist or Speizio as a throw in super utility.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
If we got Burnett&Wagner our pitching would be so dam solid.. If we trade Cotts instead of Marte

Buherle

Garcia

Garland

Burnett???

Hernandez

Bullpen

Marte

Politte

Shingo

Vizcaino

Wagner???

Hermanson

I bet wagner goes to the cardinals.

The Cardinals quietly are trolling for a lefthanded reliever and would love to get Billy Wagner from Philadelphia (obviously). Wagner will be a free agent after the season and has said many times that he'd like to pitch for the Cardinals. Many teams will be grappling to land Wagner before the trading deadline.

Cardinals closer Jason Isringhausen said that he and Wagner, who are both All-Stars, discussed the possibility of pitching in the same bullpen. Wagner said he would relish the chance.

"That would be pretty amazing," said Wagner. "Just being around him would probably make me better because of how calm and relaxed he seems when he's out there. It's always fun to talk to those guys, because I always feel like a wreck. Maybe he could help me to be better. It would be pretty interesting."

From last year...

And it looks as if the Astros will part with closer Billy Wagner because they would have to pay him $8 million next season.

Said Wagner, "They can trade me wherever, but I'll be a free agent after next season, and then I'll sign with the St. Louis Cardinals and come back here (to Houston) and stick it to them."

Now, Billy, about those sticks and stones . . .

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
For some reason, I'd rather trade BMac than Count...anyone else feel this way???

agreed, for the reason that duque will decline w/o count here and AJ who has nasty stuff is pretty even with Count

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
If Wagner goes to the Cards that team would be deadly and would hate to face them in the world series

lets not get ahead of ourselves here. lets win this division first. ill just be happy to be playing in the world series. :D

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
agreed, for the reason that duque will decline w/o count here and AJ who has nasty stuff is pretty even with Count

Contreras relies on El Duque way more than El Duque relies on Contreras.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
lets not get ahead of ourselves here. lets win this division first. ill just be happy to be playing in the world series.  :D

When you been following the Sox for over 30 years you just dont want to be happy just making it there...

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
On ESPN News today Jason Stark said FLorida will be more than willing to trade AJ Burnett to the White Sox for Contreras and Marte.  Otherwise, he may go to the Mets!!

I say do it and then go hard after Billy Wagner. If we are not giving up any prospects for Burnett, then we will have enough to get Wagner.

Burnett and Wagner >>>>> Count and Marte

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
I say do it and then go hard after Billy Wagner. If we are not giving up any prospects for Burnett, then we will have enough to get Wagner.

Or not so much.

I'm going to stick to my guns here, no matter which MLB player we are discussing:

You make the move for prospects. Any deal involving one or more of our current contributing MLB players is simply counter-productive and could greatly affect chemisty--no matter how overrated.

I say Kenny hangs in the weeds and makes the deal that ships our prospects and nothing of real value from the MLB roster.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
You make the move for prospects.  Any deal involving one or more of our current contributing MLB players is simply counter-productive and could greatly affect chemisty--no matter how overrated.

Only problem is...we currently have 25 men on our 25 man roster. In fact, if you count Gload, we have 26 people fighting for 25 roster spots. 27 if you want to see Jenks in the big leagues when El Duque comes back. In other words, if we want to trade for someone using only prospects...we have to start figuring out people who don't fit on the 25 man.

I still think Gload should be up there for Harris/Timo...that leaves the other one as the player you have to drop if you don't trade a big leaguer.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)

I agree, but I think Marte when healthy(like we saw him last night) is better than Wagner. He's untouchable to both lefties and righties and he's younger. Burnett and Contreras are the same IMO with Burnett being better overall, but they are both Jekyll and Hyde pitchers. One day there is brilliance and another day they'll get rocked.

Marte>Wagner

Burnett>Contreras

Question is if Burnett is better than Contreras enough that it constitutes taking a downgrade in the pen?? I see it being a lateral move(even though I love Burnett and Wagner both).

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
I'd take Marte over Wagner and I guess if we bring up age I will take Burnett over Count if we sign him

If we sign him...he will probably demand a 5 year contract (ESPN.com chat this morning with Jerry Crasnick), and he will immediately become the highest paid player on our roster.

For a guy with a 42-44 career record and a career ERA or 3.80 in the NL...he's not worth it.

I agree, but I think Marte when healthy(like we saw him last night) is better than Wagner. He's untouchable to both lefties and righties and he's younger. Burnett and Contreras are the same IMO with Burnett being better overall, but they are both Jekyll and Hyde pitchers. One day there is brilliance and another day they'll get rocked.

Marte>Wagner

Burnett>Contreras

Question is if Burnett is better than Contreras enough that it constitutes taking a downgrade in the pen?? I see it being a lateral move(even though I love Burnett and Wagner both).

No fn way...

Marte is not better than Wagner, not even close... Look at the career numbers

Wagner >>>>>>>>>>>>> Marte

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
No fn way...

Marte is not better than Wagner, not even close... Look at the career numbers

Wagner >>>>>>>>>>>>> Marte

If Damaso is back to 03 form which isn't a certainty at all yet, he's pretty close to Billy in terms of ability.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I agree, but I think Marte when healthy(like we saw him last night) is better than Wagner. He's untouchable to both lefties and righties and he's younger.

Marte>Wagner

Wagner> marte, even when marte is on. Thing is when you compare salaries and then performance marte>>> wagner.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
If Damaso is back to 03 form which isn't a certainty at all yet, he's pretty close to Billy in terms of ability.

There is a big difference between throwing 100 and throwing 96. In ability...the guy throwing 100 wins.

In cost...it's a different story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
There is a big difference between throwing 100 and throwing 96.  In ability...the guy throwing 100 wins.

In cost...it's a different story.

Alright, by ability I mean the ability to get guys out, basically how good the pitcher is. If Damaso is in 03 form he's just a bit below Wagner, probably the 2nd best lefty reliever in baseball though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Burnett>Contreras

Is this really a true statement? I think it's a bit overstated, sort of like saying that Johan Santana > Mark Buehrle or something like that.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Is this really a true statement?  I think it's a bit overstated, sort of like saying that Johan Santana > Mark Buehrle or something like that.

I'm not sure what you mean but by this year's performance and other than Santana's 04 2nd half, MB > Johan.