White Sox Trade Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
i dont think we want lowell either, too much money for too long of time, fields should be ready sooner, rather than later, if crede's back becomes a permanent issue

Crede wont be on the team next year anyway because of Scott Boras

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
I wouldnt say that just yet, crede isnt super star yet, hopefully not outrageous demands for him

if scott boras is your agent you are going to be asking for outrages amounts no matter what

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
i dont think we want lowell either, too much money for too long of time, fields should be ready sooner, rather than later, if crede's back becomes a permanent issue

Fields' line at Birmy -- .250/.323/.414. Not exactly setting the world on fire, though those are decent after his first half. Just saying, we shouldn't be using "Fields will be ready soon" as an excuse not to get another thirdbaseman.

That's not to say I'm for Lowell, 'cause I'm not. He's slumping, really bad -- heck, Scott Podsednik's only slugging .007 points less than him. That's bad. I'm actually against the Contreras/Marte for Burnett deal, too -- 'cause I don't think giving up that is worth Burnett.

Truth be told, if Williams could pull of a deal that got us Guardado/Wagner and a long relief, swingman type, I'd be so pleased. Wagner is going to be the hot target in the next two-three weeks, so I'd be extremely happy with Guardado.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Fields' line at Birmy -- .250/.323/.414.  Not exactly setting the world on fire, though those are decent after his first half.  Just saying, we shouldn't be using "Fields will be ready soon" as an excuse not to get another thirdbaseman.

That's not to say I'm for Lowell, 'cause I'm not.  He's slumping, really bad -- heck, Scott Podsednik's only slugging .007 points less than him.  That's bad.  I'm actually against the Contreras/Marte for Burnett deal, too -- 'cause I don't think giving up that is worth Burnett.

Truth be told, if Williams could pull of a deal that got us Guardado/Wagner and a long relief, swingman type, I'd be so pleased.  Wagner is going to be the hot target in the next two-three weeks, so I'd be extremely happy with Guardado.

^^^^^^^^^

All we need is a good realiver/closer can you really trust hermanson to do this all season. We dont need a starter in the playoffs you only need 4 starters so it dosent matter about el duque in the playoffs. If Duque can pitch decent the rest of the way I will be happy because he did his job and dosent need to pitch in the playoffs.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
well your probaly right

since qwerty knows everything :ph34r:

He is NOT a free agent. He will be arbitration eligible, like Aaron Rowand was last off-season. His agent is Scot Bora$$.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)
If it's Wagner, Hermy's a setup man.  No doubt.  Hermy has also said he'll do whatever the Sox ask.  It's all about team with him.

Exactly YAS, it is because of Hermy being the ultimate team guy that a Wagner or Guardado should be(and hopefully is) at the top of our shopping list. There would be no chemistry issue at all with either of those two because of Hermy. It also helps that both are considered great team players themselves and most likely the addition of either would end up with us going to a dual closer role so that both Hermy and Billy/Eddie would be fresh come playoff time.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I caught the last bit of Buster Olney on baseball tonight last night but I swore he said something about that Sox are talking to the Marlins about Juan Encarnacion. Did anyone else catch this or am I mistaken

I know Encarnacion was mentioned with Burnett to the O's rumors, but I haven't heard him mentioned with the Sox.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I caught the last bit of Buster Olney on baseball tonight last night but I swore he said something about that Sox are talking to the Marlins about Juan Encarnacion. Did anyone else catch this or am I mistaken

Buster did say that last night about Encarnacion coming to the sox.. Why would the Sox need him unless we trade him to get a reliever

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Buster did say that last night about Encarnacion coming to the sox..  Why would the Sox need  him unless we trade him to get a reliever

I thought Buster was crazy when he said that night. Not to sure how the sox would use J Encarnacion

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
I thought Buster was crazy when he said that night. Not to sure how the sox would use J Encarnacion

If a team won't take Lowell in a deal, then Encarnacion is the excess baggage a team would have to take instead.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)

Could it be the Red Sox? 'Cause they could use Encarnacion as a UTL OFer, with Payton traded away.

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
I don't know who started the Peavy rumor, but it's a pipe dream that's not gonna happen. Waste of thread space.

I think you can argue a lot of the rumors are a waste of thread space...

From Today's local papers & today's game notes:

Uribe + Crede : 0-7 today. Uribe 0-21. Fuels the Omar rumors.

Joe looked like he was in pain & 3rd today but he still made plays.

Sox still be reported as pursuing Burnet & Schmidt. I think they are waiting on El Duque's start before deciding to pull the trigger here.

For the last month the D'Backs have assigned a scout to follow the Sox.

Possibility the Sox are looking to deal Takatsu to help build a pkg to trade for Burnett. Guillen has confirmed Takatsu talks are on-going.

Florida has assigned a dedicated scout to the Sox since the Oak series.

Trading for Burnett will cost you about $1.8M now & another $1M when he reaches 190 IP. He's a FA after this season

Baltimore has dedicated a scout to follow Florida.

The Sox have assigned a scout to follow Toronto & Lilly this month.

He's owed about $1.5M now & eligible for arbitration after this season.

Sadly to say nothing on Omar which would greatly shore up are biggest weakness.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
I read on the Twinkies board that the Sox and Twins were interested in Kenny Rogers.  The poster got the news from ESPN Insider.  So my question is, if we get him what's the deal with the suspension and his appeal?

I woudnt want him and that whole story ruining team chemistry

http://thejuice.baseballtoaster.com/

Will Carroll is a writer for Baseball Prospectus. He writes 'Under the Knife,' and has connections to MLB staffs.

The A.J. Burnett deal is heating up. Texas appears to be out and Toronto is a longer shot than previous. Baltimore upped their offer, meaning they may have added Hayden Penn to the mix or, more likely, are willing to take on not only Mike Lowell (who the Twins can't afford) but Juan Encarnacion. That would be a bold move for the Orioles. This trade will happen sooner than later, assuming it happens.

Baltimore is severely overpaying in this circumstance, and we'd be wise to drop out. As it is, I feel we'd be wise to drop out and let the AL East fight for him.

The Rays may also miss out on a chance to move Denys Baez now that the D-Backs are scouting Shingo Takatsu. The Sox aren't asking for one of the elite prospects in return, as the Rays did.

I guess they're still scouting shingo...

For those that doubted Zach Duke, well, quit doubting. The kid is real. His emergence - and several options including Ian Snell and Tom Gorzelanny, make Mark Redman and Kip Wells available. Redman is being watched by the Yanks and Red Sox. The White Sox would love to have Wells back if they miss out on Burnett or another top-line starter.

Told you so.