White Sox Trade Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LH Bats: Adam Dunn, Jim Thome, Aubrey Huff

These are the only 3 that come to mind that could possible be available.

Now, about Jeff Weaver, if we could get him super cheap for just like 1 or 2 prospects, it is definitely worth it. He could be a spot starter, 5th starter, or long reliever.

Vizquel on the other hand,has wowed me lately. He's like 38 and last night, I watched him play defense against the Braves like he would have when he was 25. The man is still a machine. I didn't see any of his AB's but his defense is amazing....STILL.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
No.  I mean someone capable of driving in 100 runs a year.  Not a defensive replacement who happens to hit from the left side.

Two words for that: Adam Dunn. The only foreseable problems with getting Dunn is that he'd require a king's ransom worth of prospects and near ML/ML ready talent AND we'd practically have nowhere to put him. Paying the price for Dunn doesn't bother me, but it seems like we're about a half a season too early for him to be a perfect fit. I say this because he could easily fill the void at first next season and make konerko expendable.

The only wacky way Dunn would work is if Dye/Everett was moved in the deal, Rowand would swing over to RF, Pods to CF, Dunn to LF...then Dye/Everett would be the 4th OF. However, this would cripple our defense in the OF because we know Rowand is a great CF and Dye > Dunn in the OF. But, Dunn would provide us a ton of OBP and power from the left-side and would set us up for next year at 1st without worrying about Konerko. He's young (only 25), and he's one of the premier power hitters in the game today. To me, that's enough to at least try and make it work.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Excellent points by many in this thread, I agree with Yas re: the need for a lefthanded rbi guy but the dilemna is valid ... where would you play him?

The White Sox already have a very good lefthanded rbi guy in Carl Everett and it's tough enough to get him at bats.  That's one reason why Gload isn't here, because Ozzie thinks Dye can play 1B once every two weeks, and that gets Everett's bat in the lineup.

Everett is arguably as good a bat as you could get on the market right now, without giving up players from your 25 man roster.

To me, the biggest weakness is still a pesky bat off the bench who can fill in at multiple positions and preferably add another dimension.

Good call on Carl. If he was playing everday he'd drive in 100 this year imo. It'd be nice to get another left handed producer in the lineup but we don't necessarily need one, the Marlins did win in 03 without one so it's not vital.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Interesting that right after KW says he's gonna sit on the sidelines trades start busting out all over. Maybe he was the wildcard out there and now that he's out everyone is playing their hand.

The teams far out of it have outrageous demands for a while now. The price will come down a bit when things start shaking themselves out, and there are less trading partners. Or those teams get nervous [due to impending FA's, big salaries to unload, etc] and have to settle for less than their original asking price

Most teams have talked, know each others' asking prices. With 12 days left, there is still plenty of time to get a few final pieces

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Carl Everett has not been the type of LH hitter we need.  He's been much better as a righty this year. 

.244 .301 .460 .761

There's his AVR, OBP, SLG and OPS vs RH pitchers.

Look we want a Left hand power hitter. We have KOnerko How about scouting THome. (Thome is a second half player) WE want Wagner.. YOu give our prize for Wagner ( McCarthy) Other is they have an underperforming LIeber we have an under performing Conteras who looks good then looks bad. We have a young second baseman named Harris and they have an older 2b/3b named Ramon Martinez. There is a lot of ifs on both sides WE are giving a power proven 1b and they are given us a great reliever. I don't know about the equalities money changing hands or all the specifics but I do know if THome who is a decent american league hitter could come back to form the rest of this season he would be worth his paycheck and more.....

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
Look we want a Left hand power hitter. We have KOnerko  How about scouting  THome.  (Thome is a second half  player) WE want Wagner..  YOu give our  prize for Wagner ( McCarthy)  Other is they have an underperforming LIeber we have an under performing Conteras who looks good then looks bad.  We have a young second baseman named Harris and they have an older 2b/3b named Ramon  Martinez. There is a lot of ifs on both sides WE are giving a power proven 1b and they are given us a great reliever.  I don't know about the equalities money changing hands  or all the specifics but I do know if THome who is a decent american league hitter could come back to form the rest of this season he would be worth his paycheck and more.....

I'm not certain on Thome current health situation, but IF he's healthy I would certainly consider trading Konerko in a deal in which we get Wagner and Thome.

Man for some reason I really think KW was telling the truth about no major trades this year. I don't know why possibly because both he and Ozzie are in agreement about not disrupting chemistry, which I kind of get, but this team could definately use some more pieces to complete the puzzle. I really don't want this team to dominate the central (which I think they will continue to do) then get in the playoffs and get wrecked by Anahiem, NY/Boston etc.

Perhaps I'm just buying into KW's stealth mode and he'll surprise the world with a blockbuster deal.

Edited by Cali

from today's Tribune. Looks more likely a SP could be acquired rather than a reliever. hasn't the talk been KW wanted to move Contreras to the pen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Of the closers who might be available, the Sox are thought to have little interest in Seattle's Eddie Guardado and Pittsburgh's Jose Mesa, believe Philadelphia will keep Billy Wagner and Houston won't deal Brad Lidge. Toronto's Miguel Batista, who has a contract for nearly $5 million next season, is somewhat intriguing.

Williams said he "has been actively staring at the major-league board [of available players] for a month." Indications are he might rather acquire one more starting pitcher and move someone from the rotation into a middle role in the bullpen."

Ozzie is steering the trade dept ship:

For those believing we need to acquire a solid bat vs RHers, a starting pitcher, or a solid closer Ozzie doesn't agree.

Right now the only serious target the White Sox have is Toronto's Batista whose contract is only $5M/2006. And that's only because of Hermy's back spasms.

They do not like Eddie G (health issues, they remain unconvinced) & they do not believe Philly will part with Wagner & Hou will part with Lidge. That makes perfect sense because both teams are still very much in the NLWC race. Only Cub fans believe the Cub are ready to emerge as a 2005 version of the Astros.

There are 4 teams showing interest in Takatsu (thereby picking up the $1M left on his contract) : AZD, TBD, BOS, & SFG.

Williams: "No one in the American League wants to help us. That's become very evident." Translation: The Blue Jays are not trading Lilly. Which is evidenced by the fact that neither the Nats or WSox had scouts at his last start.

Burnett has given up 10R/11IP. Maybe Kotek Boy things he's the next best thing since Pedro but for those of us who think of the NL as AAAA I'll take Contra over Burnett. Contra is just as much a hard thrower as Burnett. He's just a little more inconsistent. Both are very vulnerable to failing with pitches & leaving heaters over the plate. Both are vulnerable to the long ball. Kotek boy believes that Burnett is asking for 36M/4yr. He's not worth it. Change his name to Beckett & now you've got something.

On the Schmidt radar he's allowed 4R, 9H, over 13IP. That's not bad.

But SFG is asking for a King's ransom in talent & that's simply not good enough. His $10.5M 2005 option is not a question if it were.

Kong is hitting just .189BAA/.704OOP vs LHers yet Gload remains in AAA.

The team is hitting just .249BAA/.709OOP vs RHers yet we don't need to improve the lineup or the bench. This is the clearest sign to me that Ozzie is running this team. Not just on the field, but the front office too.

Maybe we don't need Gload to spell Kong. The team is hitting a ton vs LHers: .296BAA/.827OOP. But what about our bats vs RHers?

DH position:

Carl Everett .239/.745

Frank Thomas .194/.841

3B position:

Joe Crede .236/.717

Pablo Ozuna .227/.504

SS position:

Juan Uribe .194/.516

Willie Harris .197/.476

That's a team in obvious need of help in this area. I read RSox are interested in Graffanino. If he's going to be traded it should be to the WSox. If not Tony then why not Randa?

Tony Graffanino vs RHers: .313BAA/.843OOP

Joe Randa vs RHers: .293BAA/.847OOP

Tony can play any position adequately. Randa is primarily a 3B.

But Crede is showing more range L-R this year than we've ever seen before. It should not be ruled out the possibility of Crede backing up Uribe

vs tough RHers at SS.

The WSox are sure to face the best RHers in the AL in the post-season. It would be foolish to think a team with a .709OPS in that dept can get the job done.

I was at the game last night and there were six scouts there for Contreras. It was odd to see Jerry Krasue there representing the Mets. Usually in past seasons around July 31 I would see two or three scouts so it is hard for me to believe that a trade isnt on the horizon with all of the scouts at the game. It was funny to see them react to Jenks. He had three guns on his first pitch. After that all the scouts were on him.

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
I was at the game last night and there were six scouts there for Contreras. It was odd to see Jerry Krasue there representing the Mets. Usually in past seasons around July 31 I would see two or three scouts so it is hard for me to believe that a trade isnt on the horizon with all of the scouts at the game. It was funny to see them react to Jenks. He had three guns on his first pitch. After that all the scouts were on him.

Well, I went to a Sox game in KC in April and there were at least 4 scouts sitting right around me for that game, so it may not really mean anything. One that I talked to was from the Phillies and said he was not eyeing any particular player, just scouting.

These scouts were in the first two rows above the "Scout Seats". 2 of the 6 were active the whole game. I would believe they were scouting the two teams for upcoming series. The other four only seemed interested when Contreras was pitching. Then Jenks got everyones attention.

I know there are scouts at every game. Scouts could be there for trades, upcoming games, or even evaluations. I find it funny that the majority just seemed interested in Contreras.

I have been a long time season ticket holder and it was just odd to see how the scouts worked that night.

No - I am in section 136 towards the Sox on deck circle. I was shifted down one section this year because of the scout seats.

They were offered to me, but I dont believe they are worth the money compared to where I am sitting. I am just as close as the scout seats, but I do not get the free food, lounge, or parking. I pay around 30 bucks a seat and have my red parking pass. Thats all I need.

It seems like most contenders are waiting on Philly to deal Wagner. JR has said $ is no object. Competition wise KW has the chips to out-deal the rest. It's just a matter of the Philly's pulling the plug on their season.

On the Griffey watch there were two columns out of Cincy that seem to increase the odds a little:

Griffey: "Nobody's mentioned anything to me. Not one word."

2005 is the deepest Griffey has played for the Reds since 2000.

Contract: thru 2008 at $12.5M/yr w $6.5M deferred w/out interest until 2009. The final yr of the contract (2009) is an option yr at $16.5M ($6.5M deferred w interest) or a $4M buyout.

Though the NYY & CWS have been rumored as buyers there have been no reports of talks between them & the Reds.

So what opened the door?

Griffey: "You've got to look at it from the Reds' situation. If they want to make a deal, they're going to make a deal, and I've got to agree to it."

Reporters wrote later that day that Griffey would be open to being dealt to the right team.

Though KGJ took a sizeable pay cut to play for his Father's team his off-season home is in Orlando, FL. He grew up in Cincy while his Fr was playing for the Reds & owns a home there.

People get confused about Aug 1st & what it means by a player must clear waivers. So let's set the record straight:

What is a MLB waiver?

A permission granted for certain assignments of player contracts or for the unconditional release of a Major League player.

What does it mean to clear waivers?

The player has not been claimed by another team after 3 business days."

What can a team do once a player clears waivers?

Send him to the minors, release him (consent req'd for vets), or trade him.

How do teams trade past the Jul 31st deadline?

Though all players must clear waivers the team seeking to trade a player has the right to withdraw the player from waivers. It's that right of refusal that still allows trades to happen past the deadline.

The GM network in MLB rarely thwarts a trade after Jul 31st. Most GM's know what's going down between teams & you can get a bad rep real quick if you gummy up the works. Likewise GM's know which teams are essentially dumping contracts. These are the teams least likely to challenge a waiver claim from an outsider (a team they did not intend to trade with) because they are more interested in dumping the contract then

gettng talent value back. In these cases the seller usually works out a trade with the buyer.

When it comes to trades after the Jul 31st deadline having the best record in MLB is a curse. It hurst far more than it helps. Teams rarely put a guy on waivers & they withdraw him to avoid another team. What happens instead is that the selling team negotiates before that time with the teams interested in their player. The weaker team (record-wise) gets the nod over the stronger team.

Ex. Let's say Philly finally throws in the towel 2nd week of Aug & decides it wants to sell Wagner. The for sale sign will go out to the other GM's & they will contact Philly to buy Wagner. Philly is under no obligation to sell to a team with a weaker record than the White Sox. But they are more likely to listen to those teams before the White Sox. If they can't come to terms with those other teams they will essentially seek an ok from the other GM's to go ahead & allow the trade between Philly & the White Sox.

One way of looking at the trade deadline when your team does have the best record in possible is that after July 31st, the seller has to seek permission from all other GM's to sell to you. Philly's 5GB of the NLE & NLWC. They've won 6/10. The deadline is 9 days away.

Atl 5/5 riding a 1W streak. Next 9 (ARI, WAS, PIT)

Was 2/10 riding a 2L streak. Next 9 ( HOU, ATL, FLM)

Mets 6/10 riding a 4W streak. Next 10 (LAD, COL, HOU)

Hou 7/10 riding a 5W streak. Next 10 (WAS, PHI, NYM)

Phil 6/10 riding a 2L streak. Next 10 (SDP, HOU, COL)

If Philly loses the next 3 series that will probably make them sellers & give KW a chance to get Wagner before the deadline.

Go Pads, Stros, & Rocks!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
People get confused about Aug 1st & what it means by a player must clear waivers.  So let's set the record straight:

What is a MLB waiver?

A permission granted for certain assignments of player contracts or for the unconditional release of a Major League player.

Though all players must clear waivers the team seeking to trade a player has the right to withdraw the player from waivers.  It's that right of refusal that still allows trades to happen past the deadline.

The GM network in MLB rarely thwarts a trade after Jul 31st.  Most GM's know what's going down between teams & you can get a bad rep real quick if you gummy up the works.  Likewise GM's know which teams are essentially dumping contracts.  These are the teams least likely to challenge a waiver claim from an outsider (a team they did not intend to trade with) because they are more interested in dumping the contract then

gettng talent value back.  In these cases the seller usually works out a trade with the buyer.

When it comes to trades after the Jul 31st deadline having the best record in MLB is a curse.  It hurst far more than it helps.  Teams rarely put a guy on waivers & they withdraw him to avoid another team. What happens instead is that the selling team negotiates before that time with the teams interested in their player.  The weaker team (record-wise) gets the nod over the stronger team. 

Ex. Let's say Philly finally throws in the towel 2nd week of Aug & decides it wants to sell Wagner.  The for sale sign will go out to the other GM's & they will contact Philly to buy Wagner.  Philly is under no obligation to sell to a team with a weaker record than the White Sox.  But they are more likely to listen to those teams before the White Sox.  If they can't come to terms with those other teams they will essentially seek an ok from the other GM's to go ahead & allow the trade between Philly & the White Sox.

One way of looking at the trade deadline when your team does have the best record in possible is that after July 31st, the seller has to seek permission from all other GM's to sell to you. Philly's 5GB of the NLE & NLWC.  They've won 6/10.  The deadline is 9 days away.

Atl 5/5 riding a 1W streak.  Next 9 (ARI, WAS, PIT)

Mets 6/10 riding a 4W streak.  Next 10 (LAD, COL, HOU)

Hou 7/10 riding a 5W streak.  Next 10 (WAS, PHI, NYM)

Phil  6/10 riding a 2L streak.  Next 10 (SDP, HOU, COL)

If Philly loses the next 3 series that will probably make them sellers & give KW a chance to get Wagner before the deadline. 

Go Pads, Stros, & Rocks!

what happens when a team blocks like the Twins block the signing

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
People get confused about Aug 1st & what it means by a player must clear waivers.  So let's set the record straight:

What is a MLB waiver?

Though all players must clear waivers the team seeking to trade a player has the right to withdraw the player from waivers.  It's that right of refusal that still allows trades to happen past the deadline.

The GM network in MLB rarely thwarts a trade after Jul 31st.  Most GM's know what's going down between teams & you can get a bad rep real quick if you gummy up the works.  Likewise GM's know which teams are essentially dumping contracts.  These are the teams least likely to challenge a waiver claim from an outsider (a team they did not intend to trade with) because they are more interested in dumping the contract then

gettng talent value back.  In these cases the seller usually works out a trade with the buyer.

When it comes to trades after the Jul 31st deadline having the best record in MLB is a curse.  It hurst far more than it helps.  Teams rarely put a guy on waivers & they withdraw him to avoid another team. What happens instead is that the selling team negotiates before that time with the teams interested in their player.  The weaker team (record-wise) gets the nod over the stronger team. 

Ex. Let's say Philly finally throws in the towel 2nd week of Aug & decides it wants to sell Wagner.  The for sale sign will go out to the other GM's & they will contact Philly to buy Wagner.  Philly is under no obligation to sell to a team with a weaker record than the White Sox.  But they are more likely to listen to those teams before the White Sox.  If they can't come to terms with those other teams they will essentially seek an ok from the other GM's to go ahead & allow the trade between Philly & the White Sox.

One way of looking at the trade deadline when your team does have the best record in possible is that after July 31st, the seller has to seek permission from all other GM's to sell to you. Philly's 5GB of the NLE & NLWC.  They've won 6/10.  The deadline is 9 days away.

Atl 5/5 riding a 1W streak.  Next 9 (ARI, WAS, PIT)

Mets 6/10 riding a 4W streak.  Next 10 (LAD, COL, HOU)

Hou 7/10 riding a 5W streak.  Next 10 (WAS, PHI, NYM)

Phil  6/10 riding a 2L streak.  Next 10 (SDP, HOU, COL)

Go Pads, Stros, & Rocks!

Thus concludes this week's lesson. Next week we will ease it up a bit with organic chemsitry, nuclear physics, and differential equations. :blink: