Contreras

Rowand44

Funny thing is a bigger priority to me is the Sox offense, yet we rarely talk about that. We're still not putting up very good efforts against tough pitchers, especially righties. For as much as Iguchi's been praised for getting runners over, his average is just about .270 now. Sure, it's good to get the runner over to 3rd with less than 2 outs, but it's not a crime to get a hit in the process also. I feel like we've been playing for one run too often early in the game, and it's led to our hitters only having one chance to get the runner in with less than 2 outs. However, I couldn't be happier with where we stand right now, so that's not b****ing, just constructive criticism.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
He is pitching Sunday.   Bring some pepto-bismo.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I'm gonna defer my tickets to the crack-head on the corner.

Nausea, Heartburn, Indegestion, Upset Stomach, Exploding Heads....Hey, Pepto Bismol!

Edited by SoxFan1

I'll say this again, if Jose throws like he did today(meaning he has good control) he won't get hit hard very much, he'll be pretty dominating for the most part. Some times you just have to tip your cap to the opposition and this is one of those cases, they hit a pitcher hard that usually doesn't get hit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
I'll say this again, if Jose throws like he did today(meaning he has good control) he won't get hit hard very much, he'll be pretty dominating for the most part.  Some times you just have to tip your cap to the opposition and this is one of those cases, they hit a pitcher hard that usually doesn't get hit.

Lets see how he does with the bosox.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
I wouldn't call Schmidt a sure thing either. I wasn't around for the gamethread, but it sure sounds like you have a huge hard on for Jason.

Also, I have yet to seen anything out of Jose that would tell me he doesnt work hard, so I don't know what games your watching.

I'll still in Jose's corner.

Tony, I know I'm late on this thread, but that's the funniest thing. Jose doesn't "work hard" now. I'm sure glad that our Soxtalk correspondent SoxFan1 knows that Jose Contreras doesn't "work hard".

It's a joke. What's next, "Let's go get some real winners and put 'em on this team!".

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
I never said he wasn't a major prospect. He IS the SOx top prospect but he is, like fathom said, very overrated. He got his shot and underachieved. I am not giving up on him whatsoever. Like I said, I wish him success with the Sox but he just hasn't shown me anything. BTW, the only stat that matters is Wins and Losses. 3-7 with Charlotte, 0-1 with the Sox. Besides, he has a 6.745 combined ERA in AAA/MLB.

:puke :puke :puke

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
If you're talking about pitchers, that's the single dumbest thing I've ever read on SoxTalk.

That was an argument I was trying to make about Contreras and run support. Gil Meche has 10 wins this year, but an ERA over 4.5. Does that make him a better pitcher than Jake Peavy who only has 8 wins this season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
Not if his rotator cuff gives up though. I'd prefer Miguel Batista myself although I know a lot of people are probably going to disagree with me on that. Of course Guardado has something like a $7 million option for next season as well, and KW and Ozzie will have to decide whether or not he's a set-up guy or closer.

From today's Trib, DBAH0:

To be safe, Williams has checked around both leagues for trade possibilities. According to sources, he hasn't found much he likes at a reasonable price and said Tuesday that "if it turns out he has a bout of [pain] later in the year, there are some things we can do to take care of that."

Of the closers who might be available, the Sox are thought to have little interest in Seattle's Eddie Guardado and Pittsburgh's Jose Mesa, believe Philadelphia will keep Billy Wagner and Houston won't deal Brad Lidge. Toronto's Miguel Batista, who has a contract for nearly $5 million next season, is somewhat intriguing.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
From today's Trib, DBAH0:

It all depends on what J.P Riccardi wants to do. I don't think they'll trade him, because their budget is going to increase a whole lot over the next 3 seasons. However if they lose a lot in the next week or 2, there's a slight chance he could be had. He has great numbers, especially away from the Sky - Dome, and just seems like an ideal guy to add.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
It all depends on what J.P Riccardi wants to do. I don't think they'll trade him, because their budget is going to increase a whole lot over the next 3 seasons. However if they lose a lot in the next week or 2, there's a slight chance he could be had. He has great numbers, especially away from the Sky - Dome, and just seems like an ideal guy to add.

Who cares what the other GM wants to do. KW should get this guy. :P

This thread is way too long to read all the way through, so I hope this is not redundant. Saw the game on Fox Sports Detroit. The Tiger play by play and analyst gave this take on Jose.

He hardly throws strikes. Most pitches are out of the strike zone and if batters are patient, he has to come over the plate and many of those are meatballs.

Sure looked like it in the 6th. That game could be the blueprint for opponents in future outings. That is a fair analysis of the style taught to Cuban National players. Junkballs off the plate.

The trade deadline is in a couple of weeks. I say we wait it out and see if Contraras shows some more consitency. Today he was attacking the hitters with strikes and he issued no walks. If he cant keep this consistency then we know what we got from him and we can focus on possibily an insurance starter, set-up/closer guy, or a lefty hitter THOUGH( *if Gload is already brought up, focus on strenghtening the bullpen with a guy like Wagner or Guardado, so their asking prices lower as well).

Edited by Ozzie Montana