Frank going on the DL

fathom

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
Fact. You will give up far more in a trade for Lyle Overbay than Chad Tracy. Have a look at their splits;

Tracy - .302/.345/.515

Overbay - .276/.381/.466

Tracy's only 25 and has been in the majors for what just over a season. Very important when it comes to controlling his rights. Arizona has Tony Clark and Conor Jackson coming up for next season. They have a big logjam, coupled with their need for pitching, they make a good trading partner.

Tony Clark is not part of their future. If you get Tracy, you'd be giving up some top pitching prospects (McCarthy or Gio). DBacks are LOADED with offensive prospects....they need young pitching.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Chad Tracy :drools

Coupled with the fact he can play 1B, 3B and any OF position, we could even trade for him if we do re-sign Konerko and not tender someone like Crede a contract (which probably won't happen). 3B is Tracy's original position anyways.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Coupled with the fact he can play 1B, 3B and any OF position, we could even trade for him if we do re-sign Konerko and not tender someone like Crede a contract (which probably won't happen). 3B is Tracy's original position anyways.

Put it this way...I'd trade Brian Anderson and another very good prospect for him (say a Sean Tracey).

Than again I don't think they need anymore OF's.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:27 AM)

Does Tracy play the outfield? Never seen that. I've heard he's a disaster of a 3b though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Tony Clark is not part of their future.  If you get Tracy, you'd be giving up some top pitching prospects (McCarthy or Gio).  DBacks are LOADED with offensive prospects....they need young pitching.

I think he meant to say Connor Jackson and the kid they drafted from Stanford 2 years back (he had surgery right after the college playoffs). For whatever reason I can't think of his name, but it will come to me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Tony Clark is not part of their future.  If you get Tracy, you'd be giving up some top pitching prospects (McCarthy or Gio).  DBacks are LOADED with offensive prospects....they need young pitching.

Still next season even without Clark, Tracy could struggle to be an everyday player, if Jackson can handle playing 1B well enough. They'll keep Clark around for another season considering how well he's hit this season. Tracy's a guy worth giving up good pitching prospects because he's going to contribute for a good 10 seasons. He's a lefty hitter too (I know you'll like this fathom). :lol:

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Does Tracy play the outfield?  Never seen that.  I've heard he's a disaster of a 3b though.

One of the games I went to in Arizona he was playing in LF when Gonzo went on bereavement leave. Made some very nice catches as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
I think he meant to say Connor Jackson and the kid they drafted from Stanford 2 years back (he had surgery right after the college playoffs).  For whatever reason I can't think of his name, but it will come to me.

Carlos Quentin maybe? but he's an OF prospect. Either way they desperately need some good young pitching and we've got that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Carlos Quentin maybe? but he's an OF prospect. Either way they desperately need some good young pitching and we've got that.

Quentin is it. But ya, they aren't going to deal Tracy because of Tony Clark. Now to make room for Jackson...there is a shot at that.

Personally though, I think theyd' be fools. Tracy is already a good hitter and has a chance to be a very good one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Quentin is it.  But ya, they aren't going to deal Tracy because of Tony Clark.  Now to make room for Jackson...there is a shot at that.

Personally though, I think theyd' be fools.  Tracy is already a good hitter and has a chance to be a very good one.

There were some rumors earlier in the season of the Mets going after him when Mientkiewicz was struggling. It depends if they would rather trade Jackson or Tracy. I'd give up Anderson and Tracey for Chad Tracy right now, but I don't think Joe Garigola Jr. does that deal.

Sounds like Gload is on his way up. Don't have time to shoot around a bunch of emails to confirm anything (damn internship keeps me busy during the day and way too lazy at night).

If its long-term, Rogo could get promoted up to Charlotte in the coming days (this part is purely speculation on me).

It does sound like the move has been made though (like I said, couldn't verify this like I'd like to).

Big Hurt could be bound for DL

CHICAGO -- The Boston Red Sox and riding their fifth three-game losing streak of 2005 suddenly aren't the biggest current worries for the White Sox.

Ross Gload left Triple-A Charlotte's contest with Rochester on Thursday night, making his way to Chicago on Friday, initially as a precautionary measure. If inflammation and soreness in Frank Thomas' surgically repaired left ankle prevent the designated hitter from being part of the lineup against knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, then a trip to the disabled list could be in the offing.

"We don't know yet," said Guillen following Thursday's 6-5 loss, when asked about Gload's arrival and Thomas' injury. "If Frank can't go tomorrow, there is a pretty good chance we'll do that.

"I don't want to take a chance with Frank. Frank is a big part of our team and we have a long way to go," Guillen added.

Thomas, who was unavailable for comment late Thursday night, spoke very candidly earlier in the week of the continued soreness that plagues his ankle. It's not a surprise to Thomas, who listed himself playing at 75 or 80 percent when asked last weekend in Cleveland. He won't be completely healed and have a true understanding as to where his future lies until he gets off the ankle during a restful offseason.

There still is some swelling in the ankle, especially when Thomas runs on it a lot during a game, according to the prolific slugger. It's not known if the ankle problem has been affecting the swing of Thomas, who entered Thursday hitting .219, with 12 home runs and 26 RBIs.

Thursday's matchup was the reason given by Guillen as to why Carl Everett was in the lineup and not Thomas. Matt Clement, Boston's starter, has held Thomas to one hit in seven at-bats, with that one hit being a home run.

Everett entered the game 2-for-3 in head-to-head matchups with Clement with two RBIs, and launched a two-run home run in his first at-bat. Prior to the game, Guillen didn't seem to be very worried about Thomas' "soreness" or the fact that he's battling a 5-for-33 slump over his last nine games.

"Frank didn't come here to win the batting title," said Guillen. "Frank came here to get some RBIs and hit some home runs. His on-base percentage should be better, but it's hard for him.

"It's hard when you play hurt and all of the sudden, your timing is not there. Right now, his head is not there like it used to be. It's just taking a little time. I think we just got lucky having him hit 12 home runs. It surprised me the way he swung the bat for power when he got here."

Even if he wasn't coming into the game, Thomas' presence on the bench affected the thinking of Boston manager Terry Francona. Mike Timlin came in an inning earlier, in the seventh, with closer Curt Schilling pitching the final two because of the specter of the big man pinch-hitting.

"With Frank Thomas standing over there, they can use him wherever they want," Francona said. "So we need to respect that."

The possible Thomas problem was not the only White Sox injury listed on Thursday's report. Timo Perez replaced Jermaine Dye in right field, as Dye was sidelined by an infected insect bite on the upper part of his left leg. Guillen said that Dye was ready to play, but he didn't want the area getting worse by playing him immediately and lose Dye for a prolonged period.

Aaron Rowand also talked about battling a minor back issue, suffered during a swing in the first game of the Detroit series. It affected his throwing during the last two games against the Tigers.

Encouraging news came from Joe Crede, who said his back felt good, and Dustin Hermanson, who reported the same about his back, although he didn't pitch Thursday. The White Sox know they are a bit short-handed, but they have confidence that the reserves can play through the pain.

"Good teams have to overcome this stuff," Crede said. "You go out there and play with what you have. It's not like we are throwing a bad team out there anyways.

"I think we are a great team and I don't think this will get us down," Crede added.

It was just four days ago when general manager Ken Williams addressed the media and spoke of how Gload belonged in the Major Leagues. But Gload was sent to Charlotte after being activated from the disabled list Monday, primarily because the White Sox couldn't lose an extra utility infielder in Willie Harris or Pablo Ozuna because of Crede's precarious state.

But Guillen will be ready for any situation come Friday, which is why Gload couldn't improve on his .363 average for the Knights on Thursday. Gload could be back with the Knights by Saturday.

"If we need to do that, that's why we are going to do that. But if not, he [gets] to go back to Charlotte," said Guillen. "Right now, I don't want to take another chance to play without a guy. We don't know what is going to happen."

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
Says who?  Ozzie sure implied this after the game?

From the trib:

Everett handled the designated hitter duties in place of Frank Thomas, who has felt soreness in his left ankle. The soreness isn't believed to be serious enough to consider a trip to the disabled list.

;)

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
From the trib:

Everett handled the designated hitter duties in place of Frank Thomas, who has felt soreness in his left ankle. The soreness isn't believed to be serious enough to consider a trip to the disabled list.

;)

I'm starting to sway towards Cheats point of view. After hearing kenny's interview today it seemed like something might be up.

Trying no to overreact, but this is bad. If you eliminate Thomas and KW does nothing before the trade deadline it's gonna get ugly in a hurry.

Funny how some of us for a while have been saying that we need a starter, a reliever and a bat. It took only one game against the Red Sox for a lot of others to jump on board.

For those of you who think there is not a player out there who would be that much of a help to us, you're pretty much saying we're as good as we're gonna get. In which case, we're f***ed in the post season.........assuming we can survive the rest of the season minus Frank and with our current team.

Frank isn't running all that great. Frank is swinging for a home run jog. When he comes back, I'd like to see him moved down the line up a bit. Also, did everyone read that one reason Shilling came in early was Francona knew Ozzie had Frank on the bench. ANd Francona said you always have to respect Thomas.

He still changes games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
With the way Frank was swinging the bat in the clutch, this could be a blessing in disguise.

Yep. Frank's not even close to being 'right'. Whether it's his ankle or rust that's causing it, we can't afford his lack of production. If it's rust, put him back on the DL and let him shake it off in Charlotte on another rehab. Gload, at this point in time will contribute much more than Frank.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Yep.  Frank's not even close to being 'right'.  Whether it's his ankle or rust that's causing it, we can't afford his lack of production.  If it's rust, put him back on the DL and let him shake it off in Charlotte on another rehab.  Gload, at this point in time will contribute much more than Frank.

I've been saying all along that there is alot going on with the foot and they brought him back too early. He can't even jog without a limp. He will not be able to hit effectively given his size and hitting style with the ankle in that condition. They need to give him the rest and rehab to be effective down the stretch. This could be a "trade from within" to give a boost later with a healthier more effective Thomas.