The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

s***, I might as well quit FutureSox now after seeing the plethora of White Sox minor league experts here. I'm surprised that you guys know so much about these players considering you've never seen them. Damn you guys are good.

Oh, I'm calling Kris Honel tomorrow to schedule an interview with him, can you guys tell me if he is good or bad? Thanks, I'm indebted to every one of you who knows more than me by being an armchair scout.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Low 90's and mids on occasion.  And with age and growth I expect it to climb

Thats what BA says, but it ain't accurate. BA hypes the hell out of velocity. He rarely dials it up. Maybe he will add some velocity with age, but I don't see where he will get it. He's not what I'd call a projectable player in terms of velocity (ie tall and lanky where you add velocity when your body fills in).

As far as Bmac not helping this team, if he isn't traded, he will be the 5th starter next year. Just ask other teams who the best pitching prospect in this org is, they aren't getting all gooey over Gio, its Bmac they want. I'm sure they also want Chris Young too.

Why do I rate him #1, because he's the best in my mind. He has a good FB (low 90's and climbing), a plus curve and a plus change. Aside from that he paints the zone and is very smart. He's hit a rough spot in Charlotte, but its mainly because he was rushed and well frankly other reasons that I'm not going to get into.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
s***, I might as well quit FutureSox now after seeing the plethora of White Sox minor league experts here. I'm surprised that you guys know so much about these players considering you've never seen them. Damn you guys are good.

Oh, I'm calling Kris Honel tomorrow to schedule an interview with him, can you guys tell me if he is good or bad? Thanks, I'm indebted to every one of you who knows more than me by being an armchair scout.

They're paying you?

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)

thanks cerb. i agree 100%. see my post above

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
i have 0 idea about how much more often gio would pound the strikezone than mccarthy, and quite frankly i dont think many on here do either

Good post, but that is the thing that bothered me most about what they were saying. If you're not pounding the strike zone you're going to walk guys right? Well Brandon walked a lot less guys than Gio. I don't need to see either guy in person to figure that out.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
just a general question to all posters out there. i dont know much about our minor leaguers, i mean i know pretty much all the names, and i can give you the general stats for most of em, but that dont mean i know much. how many people on here actually have seen these guys pitch/play. i know some have, because they leave near charlotte/bham/etc. but i suspect alot of people on here just make claims about minor league prospects based on like the 2 innings they saw in spring training or something of that sort, and many of their claims are unsubstantiated. for example, i know from my subscription to baseball america what gio throws, what his stats are, what he has done at each stop. but by no means can i sit here and say taht he is better or worse than bmac, since i have never seen gio pitch and couldnt even pick him out of a crowd. my gut would tell me hes worse than brandon just becuase brandon dominated at high A, but then again, brandon was 2 years older when he did that, so i could be wrong. at any rate, i have 0 idea about how much more often gio would pound the strikezone than mccarthy, and quite frankly i dont think many on here do either

Personally speaking I've seen most of the guys in the system play on a few ocassions (this is the first year i'm not making a trip out to see the minor leaguers play).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
:notworthy Everyone loves Gio for god knows whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid prospect, but he can only hope to be the kind of prospect Brandon is. People see Gio's sweet curve in that draft video and great numbers in Kanny and they think he's the new hotness. Hello! Brandon was better in Winston-Salem than Gio was in Kanny. Brandon led all of the minor in strikeouts and had unreal control and people are saying Gio is the better stuff pitcher and attacks the zone more.

Sorry, this was an off topic post but people need to lay the f*** off Brandon. Any minor league expert would tell you Brandon wasn't ready when he was called up. The Sox didn't have anything better after the 2004 debacle.

If Gio was ready or at least close to ready he would have been moved up to double a or triple a. You ever tasted chicken when it is half done? It's great if it is done right but that half done stuff just don't get it. Give him time he might be our 5th started next year.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
They're paying you?

If they are, I would fire him. he's on the net more than any of us. Get out to the filed and scout.

Joke :cheers

Edited by Soxpranos

I keep leaving for a minute and when I come back, I see this thread has gained about 2 more pages. I instinctively think "A trade went through!" Then I realize it's 8 pages of discussion on whether Gio is better than McCarthy.

You guys love your debating, I'll give you that much.

BTW, they can both go to hell if it means we're better this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Personally speaking I've seen most of the guys in the system play on a few ocassions (this is the first year i'm not making a trip out to see the minor leaguers play).

i wasnt really implying you, i know you know what you are talking about, i just think there are others here who prolly dont

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)

:drink

I'm moody today :lol:

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
I keep leaving for a minute and when I come back, I see this thread has gained about 2 more pages.  I instinctively think "A trade went through!"  Then I realize it's 8 pages of discussion on whether Gio is better than McCarthy.

You guys love your debating, I'll give you that much.

BTW, they can both go to hell if it means we're better this year.

Exactly.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
If they are, I would fire him. he's on the net more than any of us. Get out to the filed and scout.

Joke :cheers

I get paid through players cell phone numbers I guess.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
Thats what BA says, but it ain't accurate.  BA hypes the hell out of velocity.  He rarely dials it up.  Maybe he will add some velocity with age, but I don't see where he will get it.  He's not what I'd call a projectable player in terms of velocity (ie tall and lanky where you add velocity when your body fills in).

A

actually, I've never read BA, so I guess thats not what made my opinion. As far as overrating velocity, seems they were spot on with Jenks................

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
actually, I've never read BA, so I guess thats not what made my opinion.  As far as overrating velocity, seems they were spot on with Jenks................

I'm not going to begin to dissect BA and velocity. BA is as good of a minor league publication as there is. They do an awesome job covering the entire minors. However....Jesse Foppert and his 99 MPH heat or Brian Miller and his easy heat (Former guy in the Sox system that topped out at 88-90).

None of these guys were even close. Jenks is the real deal...I've been oogling him since he was in the Angels system. Just do a search and look how crazy I went when I found out the Sox signed him.

All I can say is maybe Gio adds velocity, maybe he doesn't. I'm not knocking him on a prospect but a lot of people are over-rating him and really under-rating and to a point just blasting Brandon and quite frankly its uncalled for. He's an upper echelon pitching prospect and is what I'd dub a special pitching prospect.

He's no Felix Hernandez (whose sick) but he's in that next category (frankly Felix is in a level all by himself).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
:lolhitting Oh Heads, he's becoming a stalker in front of our very eyes.

I'm not a stalker for the simple fact that I have the balls to actually call up the players. Heads is just a pussy, I guess.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm not going to begin to dissect BA and velocity.  BA is as good of a minor league publication as there is.  They do an awesome job covering the entire minors.  However....Jesse Foppert and his 99 MPH heat or Brian Miller and his easy heat (Former guy in the Sox system that topped out at 88-90). 

None of these guys were even close.  Jenks is the real deal...I've been oogling him since he was in the Angels system.  Just do a search and look how crazy I went when I found out the Sox signed him. 

All I can say is maybe Gio adds velocity, maybe he doesn't.  I'm not knocking him on a prospect but a lot of people are over-rating him and really under-rating and to a point just blasting Brandon and quite frankly its uncalled for.  He's an upper echelon pitching prospect and is what I'd dub a special pitching prospect.

He's no Felix Hernandez (whose sick) but he's in that next category (frankly Felix is in a level all by himself).

What about Honel and his mid 90's fastball?? It seems like Kris never had that good of a fastball but I could be wrong.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
According to what?  Cause the stats arent there.  Is it just postive thinking? HIs performance last year?  His performance in ST?  What is your rating system.

Based on the fact that, uhh, he's had prolonged success above the SAL league, maybe?

Jesus H, I'm a Gio fan as much as anyone, but he hasn't even pitched 25 innings at high-A, and he's getting comparisons to Pedro? GMAFB.

McCarthy has been, essentially, a two-pitch pitcher this year. Or that's what I'm hearing -- that he's basically only throwing a curve and a fastball. His success last year -- again, based upon what I heard/was told -- was based upon the fact that he could throw a fastball, a curveball, or a changeup in any count, that's how confident he was.

Clearly, he's lost a little bit of confidence. Yet, he's still got a filthy K/9 rate, and is doing a decent job with keeping the BB's down, though not as good as last year.

I doubt you'll find many organizations whose best pitching prospect has pitched only 25 innings above low-A.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
If Gio was ready or at least close to ready he would have been moved up to double a or triple a.  You ever tasted chicken when it is half done?  It's great if it is done right but that half done stuff just don't get it.  Give him time he might be our 5th started next year.

I could use the same poultry analogy with Brandon. Give him more of a chance.