Sox scouting Lyle Overbay

beck72

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine why the sox would be interested in doing this deal but if someone is going to do something stupid it's Kenny Williams. McCarthy is "struggling" as a 22 yr old in AAA to the tune of 94 K's and 24 BB in 78 1/3 innings. He does have a 5.17 ERA but it appears he is pitching much better than his ERA would suggest. I'd throw in Okha or Santos to make this deal happen actually.

Just think of what a rotation of Sheets, Davis, Cappy, McCarthy, and Eveland could do next year. That could be the best staff in the NL.

More funniness! :lol:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
I hate reading other teams message boards, they never know s*** about the Sox. I usually end up registering there and educating the posters. They don't always appreciate it.

They seem to think we would deal our top 3 prospects for Overbay...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
I hate reading other teams message boards, they never know s*** about the Sox. I usually end up registering there and educating the posters. They don't always appreciate it.

just like we don't know everything about every other team.

Welcome, and thanks Joe. Whats your take on the deal??

The only Brewer of note I really anticipate seeing traded anytime soon is Lyle. I can see this trade (if it happens) working out well for both sides seeing that Overbay is much more valuable as trade bait than he is sitting on the bench once Prince comes up for good. I'll admit I really dont know alot about many of the Sox prospects rumored to come to Milwaukee in this deal but if we could get a stud pitching prospect (McCarthy) and a long term solution at CF (Anderson) I'd be all for it.

-Also I just wanted to mention that went down to Chicago over the weekend to see the Sox/Red Sox play on Sunday and had a great time at the Cell. Although I still like Miller Park better, I thought the large standing room area in the outfield was a really nice. One of my main problems with MP is that there really isn't much space to just hang out an watch the game if you dont feel like staying put in your seats the whole time.

Edited by JoeH33

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
There is a guy named BallstwotheWalls or something along those lines that is conviced the only way the Brewers should do the trade is if they get Mark or Jon in the deal. :D

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's like asking for Harden or Blanton from the A's.

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
The only Brewer of note I really anticipate seeing traded anytime soon is Lyle. I can see this trade (if it happens) working out well for both sides seeing that Overbay is much more valuable as trade bait than he is sitting on the bench once Prince comes up for good. I'll admit I really dont know alot about many of the Sox prospects rumored to come to Milwaukee in this deal but if we could get a stud pitching prospect (McCarthy) and a long term solution at CF (Anderson) I'd be all for it.

-Also I just wanted to mention that went down to Chicago over the weekend to see the Sox/Red Sox play on Sunday and had a great time at the Cell. Although I still like Miller Park better, I thought the large standing room area in the outfield was a really nice. One of my main problems with MP is that there really isn't much space to just hang out an watch the game if you dont feel like staying put in your seats the whole time.

Do you think Lyle could get traded this year or our your Brewers going to hang onto him until atleast the offseason?

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)

I love Miller Park. I wish the Cell could have a concourse like that. I love the Cell too but Miller>>Cell.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
With Overbay's production, and the fact he makes less than $500,000 a  year and isn't eligible for arbitration until after next season, he is going to cost a lot in terms of players to acquire.

Hence why I've suggested Chad Tracy would be a better target, as he's younger, plus Arizona still has that dire need for pitching. You'd probably have to give up more to get Overbay then you would Tracy.

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)

1) Dont count on us giving you our 2 top prospects. If McCarthy is dealt, it would probably be for Burnett.

2) Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Cell.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
1) Dont count on us giving you our 2 top prospects. If McCarthy is dealt, it would probably be for Burnett.

2) Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Cell.

So would you rather give up your 2 top prospects for a 2 month + playoffs rental in Burnett (if he doesn't want to re-sign for us), or a guy in Overbay who could contribute for the next 5 to 10 seasons?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
So would you rather give up your 2 top prospects for a 2 month + playoffs rental in Burnett (if he doesn't want to re-sign for us), or a guy in Overbay who could contribute for the next 5 to 10 seasons?

Uuuuum, no. Because there is no way in hell I'd give my 2 top prospects for Burnett...... :bang Marte/Bmac.....dur.

How close in your eyes is Prince to being ready? Im sure you have seen him much more than any of us, is he ready? And what is the feeling with the Brewers on the Prince/Lyle situation?

Prince has had his moments, most notably that game vs. the Twins last month where he belted the game winning 3 run homer, but still is a little raw. People have to remember that he is still only 21 and, although I'm sure he'll do fine if Lyle gets traded, he still won't be as consistant right away as Overbay would be.

Do you think Lyle could get traded this year or our your Brewers going to hang onto him until atleast the offseason?

I honestly think he'll be traded, especially since Melvin has given him the "kiss of death" by saying he isnt going anywhere. Still I can see Melvin holding onto him if he isnt given a great deal because we really dont need to trade him. This isnt like the Sexon deal where we had to try to get something for him because there was no way we could afford him in free agency. So unless the Sox aren't willing to Overpay a little for Lyle (which I believe they will seeing as they have a legit shot at a championship) I could very easily see Lyle being traded.

Edited by JoeH33

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Would Overbay be a replacement for Frank?  Would he split time at first with Konerko?  If so does Gload ever see the field again or do we ship him somewhere. 

What do you guys think?

I LOVE TRADING TIME!

If he's traded for, I think it'd basically be signaling that Frank's in trouble for this season. If the Sox did trade for Overbay he'd have to be the everday first baseman.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Would Overbay be a replacement for Frank?  Would he split time at first with Konerko?  If so does Gload ever see the field again or do we ship him somewhere. 

What do you guys think?

I LOVE TRADING TIME!

Overbay - DH

PK - 1B

Carl - Platoon OF/DH

Frank - DL

Dont count on us giving you our 2 top prospects. If McCarthy is dealt, it would probably be for Burnett.

Like I said, I really dont follow the Sox minor league system at all so I'm just going off what I've seen other people say. Sorry if I seem a little ignorant when it comes to your prospects.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
IMO this move just makes to much sense. Konerko is a FA after the season, and with Overbay, he would be perfect ot plug in at 1b for about 2 mil a season, with Gload backing him up.

This is the rumor/deal that would make me the happiest. Overbay is just such a good hitter and would look awesome hitting third for us everyday.

QUOTE(JoeH33 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Like I said, I really dont follow the Sox minor league system at all so I'm just going off what I've seen other people say. Sorry if I seem a little ignorant when it comes to your prospects.

Just ignore SF1. :P Nice to hear your insight on this stuff, stick around for a while. :cheers

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I agree 100%. This is the deal I want to go down the most. It really is almost the perfect fit.

i've been saying for the past few days to pass on burnett. We're overpaying and he's not really needed.

A bat like overbay's is what we need. I'd be willing to overpay for something we need.