Biggest American superband ever...

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
If you are judging by hit after hit, there has to be some love for Cronin and the boys.

30+ years with hits spanning the 70, 80, 90, 2000.

REO Speedwagon has had hits in the 90's and 2000's? Do tell!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
90s Building the Bridge. Sidenote, Clinton campaign theme and the band was invited to play one of the inaugural balls.

And.. that's supposed to make them an American superband?

The Doobie Bros. and Steely Dan are pretty American.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
They are always my pick for most under rated band of all time. In between the TOP 40, sells a lot of record, hits and some good, well crafted, tunes.

I also appreciate there lack of drama, angst, break ups to make ups, etc.

Ridin' the Storm Out, played really, really, loud, with the windows down and some good buddies is almost spiritual.

A personal fave

I was dragged to an REO show by the wife ( well, at that time she was The Girfriend ) and I'm surprised she didn't break up with me that night. I was absolutely miserable. Kevin Cronin is the WORST frontman I've ever seen. Talking a LOT does NOT = having anything to say!!!

the worst thing ever?????

"DWEE DWEE DWEEEEE DIDDLEDEEDOO, DWEE DWEE DWEEEEE DIDDLEDEEDOO...." :headshake :puke :angry:

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
American superband, huh?

Not neccessarily rock?

How about Alabama? 40+ Number one singles! :huh

Just saying.

Where is Led Zeppelin from?

Zep is from England.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
American superband, huh?

Not neccessarily rock?

How about Alabama? 40+ Number one singles! :huh

Just saying.

Where is Led Zeppelin from?

Mordor

I jest. Ha ha. Actually, they are from the West Midlands in England.

I have to put my personal taste aside and say The Grateful Dead. Not my cup of tea, but c'mon the following?

The Doors would have to be #2.

Whoever said 'Big Star' was dead one. The greatest band no one's ever heard of. Brilliant songwriting.

Last, I have to throw in a very personal favorite The Black Crowes. THE most rock n roll, American rock n roll band.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
Whoever said 'Big Star' was dead one. The greatest band no one's ever heard of.  Brilliant songwriting.

Last, I have to throw in a very personal favorite The Black Crowes.  THE most rock n roll, American rock n roll band.

Glad to see there's somebody else who can't go far without a little Big Star. :cheers

Alex Chilton and Chris Bell were the perfect power pop duo.

Good call on the Crowes.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Glad to see there's somebody else who can't go far without a little Big Star.  :cheers

Alex Chilton and Chris Bell were the perfect power pop duo.

Good call on the Crowes.

When they perform live, Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows changes that lyric in his song to say 'I wanna be Alex Chilton' instead of Bob Dylan, everyone looks around and scratches their head, lol.

If you listen beyond the 'hits', The Black Crowes are an amazing and underrated band.

:cheers

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Last, I have to throw in a very personal favorite The Black Crowes.  THE most rock n roll, American rock n roll band.

Except that they are a blatant rip-off of Faces, which is one of the most pure British RnR bands to ever exist. Go through the entire Faces catalogue, and you will find a BC song for that song. Plus, if they weren't taking from Faces, they were taking from Humble Pie (which came from the same place as Faces, namely Small Faces) and Led Zep. They eventually started using some of the old Delta Blues influences that influenced all of the bands they were "borrowing" from, so they eventually got around to listening to their own countries tunes. But make no mistakes, they are a Faces rip-off, and Robinson will admit it.

The first two Crowes albums were brilliant, I thought. The followup efforts kind of lacking, or maybe Chris was too into the ganja to give it his all. I saw them in a college basketball arena on the first leg of the Moneymaker tour a loooong time ago and they were outstanding.

Interesting thoughts. I've never heard of most of these bands, so my opinion is flawed at best, but I think you should first define what it is you are trying to define?

Objective criteria in music makes for interesting cocktail banter but poor conclusions. Record sales? Influence? How does longevity fit? Since this is about American bands, it seems the Beach Boys did the most to define America in their songs.

Turning this around a bit, what would someone from England or the continent pick? My guess would be Beach Boys.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
The first two Crowes albums were brilliant, I thought.  The followup efforts kind of lacking, or maybe Chris was too into the ganja to give it his all.  I saw them in a college basketball arena on the first leg of the Moneymaker tour a loooong time ago and they were outstanding.

I cant fault Chris anymore if the music isnt hitting too hard anymore. I would be equally disinterested if my wife was Kate Hudson ;)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Except that they are a blatant rip-off of Faces, which is one of the most pure British RnR bands to ever exist. Go through the entire Faces catalogue, and you will find a BC song for that song. Plus, if they weren't taking from Faces, they were taking from Humble Pie (which came from the same place as Faces, namely Small Faces) and Led Zep. They eventually started using some of the old Delta Blues influences that influenced all of the bands they were "borrowing" from, so they eventually got around to listening to their own countries tunes. But make no mistakes, they are a Faces rip-off, and Robinson will admit it.

Name me a good band that doesn't have strong, obvious influences. IMO it's far more important to be good than to be original. To me, that doesn't take away from the finished product.

Maybe you haven't listened to enough Crowes, or need to dig into the crate a little deeper. The early stuff and the 'hits', sure sounds like The Faces, Stones etc. The later and most recent stuff (after the masses and MTV quit listening) does not. The Crowes became a lot more trippy, some even labeled them a 'jam band', while still keeping their balls. I'd say they're a little bit of everything good. :huh

Yeah, but the Jam Band stuff was the worst stuff they have done. They are by far at their strongest when they are just ROCKING, as Robinson has a great voice for that type of stuff.

Plus, there is a big difference between having signs of your influences, and just blatantly using their riffs and hooks. I also was not condeming them, but pointing out that you made a strong point of saying they were a great AMERICAN RnR band, and I was simply pointing out that everything that they are though is steeped in the UK RnR scene of the early 70's. I admit to being a bit biased as Faces and Small Faces are two of my favorite bands, and I find it disheartening that for years the Crowes would be getting all this praise from people, and people would claim them one of the greatest RnR bands ever, and then Faces would be forgotten about. But I would take a day listening to "Money Maker" and "By Your Side" over 98% of the crap flooding the airwaves nowdays. Everything in between those two albums though, and after BYS, I will take a pass on. Too "jammy" and "spacey". I hate trippy stuff.

Again, I am not trying to knock them, and both of the Robinson boys will agree (or would have in the early days) with everything I have said. They were proud to be doing what they were doing.

They still have NOTHING on The Quireboys though for ripping off Faces, and I love The Quireboys.

Wouldn't the biggest American superbands reflect citizenship rather than place of birth?

Anyways I would say a survey of this nature throws out the money. It's more of a what's the 1st band that comes to mind question. A measure of stature & fame.

Heavy-Metal: Metallica.

Hard Rock: Aerosmith

Classic Rock: Doors

Grunge Rock: Nirvana

Cult Rock: Grateful Dead. BOC gets honorale mention.

Rock: Eagles, Journey, REO

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah, but the Jam Band stuff was the worst stuff they have done. They are by far at their strongest when they are just ROCKING, as Robinson has a great voice for that type of stuff.

Plus, there is a big difference between having signs of your influences, and just blatantly using their riffs and hooks. I also was not condeming them, but pointing out that you made a strong point of saying they were a great AMERICAN RnR band, and I was simply pointing out that everything that they are though is steeped in the UK RnR scene of the early 70's. I admit to being a bit biased as Faces and Small Faces are two of my favorite bands, and I find it disheartening that for years the Crowes would be getting all this praise from people, and people would claim them one of the greatest RnR bands ever, and then Faces would be forgotten about. But I would take a day listening to "Money Maker" and "By Your Side" over 98% of the crap flooding the airwaves nowdays. Everything in between those two albums though, and after BYS, I will take a pass on. Too "jammy" and "spacey". I hate trippy stuff.

Again, I am not trying to knock them, and both of the Robinson boys will agree (or would have in the early days) with everything I have said. They were proud to be doing what they were doing.

They still have NOTHING on The Quireboys though for ripping off Faces, and I love The Quireboys.

I feel you and I mostly agree, I love the Faces too. Let me put this in your head: Who influenced the Faces, Zep, Stones etc? Was it not southern, American blues? Basically, the English bands put a white face on it and went electric and harder and sold the s*** out of it. So, who (if anyone) are the Crowes really ripping off? In a way, the Crowes being American and from the south, have more of a 'right' to that kind of music.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
The band Jet has blatantly ripped off the Black Crowes, AC/DC, and the beatles. I would have to say the rip-off torch has been passed.

That's another band who is not original, but good. Time will tell with these guys, but people need to get over the whole rip off thing. You can't tell me you don't enjoy that Jet record.

A lot of bands try too hard to be different and they flat out suck, IMO. I'd rather sound like other bands and be good, than to be 'original' and suck.

If you enjoy it, just enjoy it.