Biggest American superband ever...

southsider2k5

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
  You can't tell me you don't enjoy that Jet record.

Yes I can, and I will. i thought it was awful. Its one thing to have influences, it is a completely other thing to use the same songs and pass them off as your own with different lyrics. Jet gets no props from me, they need to find their own sound.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Yes I can, and I will.  i thought it was awful.  Its one thing to have influences, it is a completely other thing to use the same songs and pass them off as your own with different lyrics. Jet gets no props from me, they need to find their own sound.

That's fine, to each his own. I get a feeling, based on the $$$ they made from that record, things won't be changing.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
I feel you and I mostly agree, I love the Faces too. Let me put this in your head:  Who influenced the Faces, Zep, Stones etc?  Was it not southern, American blues? Basically, the English bands put a white face on it and went electric and harder and sold the s*** out of it.    So, who (if anyone) are the Crowes really ripping off?    In a way, the Crowes being American and from the south, have more of a 'right' to that kind of music.

Well that's what I said up there earlier. I mentioned how it seems that there might be some of the Delta influence coming through now, especially with the acoustic solo stuff being done now. Yes, the UK took from the Delta guys, and thank the lord they did, as without them it wouldn't have been as well exposed as it was. The Lomax gang may have found a bunch of them again, and helped to discover the "new old guys" like Fred McDowell, but it was the UK that really opened the worlds eyes to what we had here.

As for Jet, I am curious as to where they go next. The last one hinted at a band mellowing out in a really boring way. Hopefully they go with what I hear their live shows are like, and turn up the energy. Shame of it is though that Jet is getting big doing that stuff, but another band named Supagroup, who is very similar to Jet, but MUCH more raucous and honest, is just kind of sitting there.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
That's fine, to each his own.  I get a feeling, based on the $$$ they made from that record, things won't be changing.

I completely agree with that.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
American superband, huh?

Not neccessarily rock?

How about Alabama? 40+ Number one singles! :huh

Just saying.

Where is Led Zeppelin from?

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Zep is from England.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Thank you. I didn't think they were from the US, but was unsure.

I am feeling sooooooooooooooooo old right now.

Bonus:

Jars of Clay :notworthy Flood is one of my favorite songs of all-time, all genres. I say them in concert at the Rosemont Theater about 7 or 8 years ago. Just awesome.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
My wife loves Jars. Their only problem is that for a bit there they were getting very repetitive. I haven't heard them for a bit, but man, during the "Flood" time, they rewrote variations on that song on every album.

Yes, but, of course, their fans forgave them ;)

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
I forgot Christian bands

Heavy Metal: Payable on Death (P.O.D)

Hard Rock: Stryper

Classic Rock: Rezz Band

Grunge Rock: Evanescence

Cult Rock: Creed

Rock: Jars of Clay

I can't believe that you forgot Petra.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Stevie Ray Vaughn And Double Trouble? When he was around, he would have said they were a band. Anytime you have a 3 piece capable of making THAT much noise, and filling out songs that much, it is a BAND and not a single person.

I disagree.

I thought of SRV right away, but he was not a band. I see your point, but he TOTALLY carried that band. Look at it this way, would they have been as popular with another front man? I say no. Could SRV have fronted another 3 piece and made them awesome? I say yes.

If we can count SRV and DT, then the Jimi Hendrix Experience ends this entire discussion. :huh

But you can make that claim about a whole bunch of other bands out there where the vocalist/front man carried the band. It was the whole thing that made it click. Yes, Stevie was the stand-out in the band, but there is one of those in every band. Yes, he carried the band, but it was also an amazing band in so many ways. Those guys knew each other inside and out, and knew precisely what to do and when.

No, Hendrix would not end it all. Yes he was influential beyond belief. But one could also argue that so was Eddie Van Halen, and he was a superior guitarist and his band sold more albums, in both versions. He was able to replace the irreplaceable and become larger with him gone.

Now that I think about it, Van Halen is my answer for the ultimate band from the US, in both sales and influence.

:bringit

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
I'd also toss in there the Fleetwood Mac, Eagles (Greatest Hits All-Time #1 Selling Album), Aerosmith, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, and Journey.

Going back over things...gotta get ya on this one. For all intents and purposes, Fleetwood Mac is a British band. Buckingham and Nicks might be US, but the rest was British, and they started out life as part of the British Blues explosion.

Maybe not, but they were a US band. Their whole time was in LA. If you want to get down to them not being born in the US, or not being "pure US blood", then we have to get rid of a ton of bands. But the band was formed in the US and spent it's entire time in the US until they were signed.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
But you can make that claim about a whole bunch of other bands out there where the vocalist/front man carried the band. It was the whole thing that made it click. Yes, Stevie was the stand-out in the band, but there is one of those in every band. Yes, he carried the band, but it was also an amazing band in so many ways. Those guys knew each other inside and out, and knew precisely what to do and when.

No, Hendrix would not end it all. Yes he was influential beyond belief. But one could also argue that so was Eddie Van Halen, and he was a superior guitarist and his band sold more albums, in both versions. He was able to replace the irreplaceable and become larger with him gone.

Now that I think about it, Van Halen is my answer for the ultimate band from the US, in both sales and influence.

:bringit

Kid, I respect your opinion on music, you know your s***, but we couldn't be more opposite in tastes, lol.

Eddie Van Halen better than Jimi ??!!...are you kidding me? Eddie was cold and mechanical, all fingers and brain and absolutely NO heart or soul. He's in the Satriani and Vai category, the original 'math rock'. In terms of Van Halen the band being the best American band? No way, on top of Eddie's wanking, Roth was a f***in clown, with little singing or song writing ability.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
If your applying the US scene to the mix, you'd then have to argue that "Golden Years" by David Bowie is one of the best Philly soul songs ever.

Speaking of soul - three words.

Otis f***ing Redding.

Bowie is British and Redding is a solo artist, but yes good points.