Ramirez White Sox?

Pods70Rowand33

The Providence Journal's Sean McAdam says there are five teams involved in talks with the Red Sox regarding Manny Ramirez and that the three-team trade with the Mets and Rays is the least likely scenario right now.

McAdam said two other NL clubs and two AL clubs, one the White Sox, are looking at Ramirez. We're guessing the Cubs and maybe the Dodgers are the NL clubs. The Angels would make sense as the other AL team.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this happens, Rowand or Dye will no longer be with the Sox. The Red Sox are not going to be looking for prospects, especially with Nixon down. You could be looking at Pods patrolling CF, Manny in LF, and Dye in RF. That's a tremendous downgrade in defense. Is it worth the money and defense to add Manny's bat, not to mention his attitude? I don't know.

I just can't imagine it being worth what we would have to give up. Isn't this exactly why we gave up Lee? It was to be able to buy more players for the money. And now we are going to have to go out and do the opposite? It would take at least 3 guys and disrupt the chemistry as well. What motivation does Manny have? He has a ring. All we need is for him to sulk in September and be a distraction down the run.

No thanks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
I don't even like the idea of us being mentioned in all this. It will require too much talent to acquire a player of Manny's caliber not to mention his horrid contract.

And s***TY Attitude

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I just can't imagine it being worth what we would have to give up.  Isn't this exactly why we gave up Lee?  It was to be able to buy more players for the money.  And now we are going to have to go out and do the opposite?  It would take at least 3 guys and disrupt the chemistry as well.  What motivation does Manny have?  He has a ring.  All we need is for him to sulk in September and be a distraction down the run. 

No thanks.

I don't think Manny is going to the AL... I would handicap it as 50% staying with Red Sox, then Cubs/Mets/Dodgers have equal shots for other 50%.

But Manny is one of the greatest RBI machines in the last 20 years, as much as I liked Carlos, Manny is on a different level.

I think Epstein and Francona are going to, or are doing it right now, sitting down with Manny and straightening this thing out. By Sunday you'll see the Red Sox hugging in the dugout, I don't think they can realistically get value for him right now.

First off, it wouldn't cost as much as you guys think considering we'd be taking on his contract. I don't know why people don't grasp that concept.

Secondly, I didn't know it was a rule that Manny would have to play OF when there is a DH spot available.

At last, Kenny wouldn't inquire if it wasn't possible. It's too close to the deadline to inquire about things that are very close to impossible.

We need another big bat in the lineup. we lost Frank, when Frank came back he gave us the power we needed, and now he's out for the season. I don't see us doing well with just Carl. Carl has done great this year with whatever role we've used him in, but I think we need something else.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
First off, it wouldn't cost as much as you guys think considering we'd be taking on his contract. I don't know why people don't grasp that concept.

Secondly, I didn't know it was a rule that Manny would have to play OF when there is a DH spot available.

At last, Kenny wouldn't inquire if it wasn't possible. It's too close to the deadline to inquire about things that are very close to impossible.

I think Manny will only play in the OF, he hates the DH spot. That's the problem with Manny, he's a head case. If he's forced to DH he sulks and is horrible in the lockerroom, something KW won't let happen

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I can see KW getting involved only to pull out at the last moment and announce another deal he had going on the side....Vintage KW stealth mode.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if KW is using this just to keep other teams out of the reach and drive up the price. Teams know we need a bat and are serious about the offers but I HIGHLY doubt KW will do a deal for Manny. It's not him at all to snag Manny.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)

1 - Are the Sox going to take on a contract on that size right now?

2 - Would Manny agree to be a DH?

3 - Why would Boston trade him to what looks to be their main rival for a world series spot in the AL?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I think Manny will only play in the OF, he hates the DH spot.  That's the problem with Manny, he's a head case.  If he's forced to DH he sulks and is horrible in the lockerroom, something KW won't let happen

Never heard of him complaining about being put in the DH spot. Also, you guys act like he's a cancer. Can any of you name anyone on the Red Sox who hates him or even dislikes him player wise? He seems he would fit in with Ozzie.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
Never heard of him complaining about being put in the DH spot. Also, you guys act like he's a cancer. Can any of you name anyone on the Red Sox who hates him or even dislikes him player wise? He seems he would fit in with Ozzie.

Not trying to be a dick here, I don't have any links, but I know Manny hates playing DH, he has b****ed about it many times. That's the only reason Red Sox play him out there is he creates a huge fuss if he DHs

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
1 - Are the Sox going to take on a contract on that size right now?

2 - Would Manny agree to be a DH?

3 - Why would Boston trade him to what looks to be their main rival for a world series spot in the AL?

1-With JR you never know. He wants that World Series Ring, BADLY!

2-I would think so or at least partial DH. People say he refused to DH. I never heard of that so I can't comment on it.

3-For pitching or prospects to turn around and trade to possibly Florida for AJ Burnett.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)

You're nuts. It would take an absolute dismanteling(sp?) of this team to land Manny, the Bosox aren't going to trade one of the best hitters in baseball to a playoff contender to rid themselves of his contract. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
This guy is Albert Belle times 2.

I wouldn't go that far. Most of the things I heard about him (as a person) have been positive. I don't think he's the complete asshole that Belle was. The phrase used most often to describe Manny is "he marches to the beat of a different drummer." He's just a strange dude.

Another thing thats been said of him is that he doesn't like the pressures of being in the spotlight in Boston. Supposedly, he was much more comfortable in Cleveland.