No major trades at deadline mean major one later

maggsmaggs

The Sox kept their prospects and this means in the off-season Kenny will likely get a major player. We have some major league ready guys that will need a spot or be traded. So, my guess is in the off-season Kenny will acquire a major bat or arm with prospects as the bait.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
The Sox kept their prospects and this means in the off-season Kenny will likely get a major player.  We have some major league ready guys that will need a spot or be traded.  So, my guess is in the off-season Kenny will acquire a major bat or arm with prospects as the bait.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. :huh:

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
someone please explain how the waiver-trades work? they say there are usually never big names in those.

Basically you can make trades still, but the players involved have to clear waivers I believe is how it works. The Cards for instance were able to get Walker last August because of his large contract that helped him clear waivers IIRC.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Basically you can make trades still, but the players involved have to clear waivers I believe is how it works.  The Cards for instance were able to get Walker last August because of his large contract that helped him clear waivers IIRC.

Right. Every team (in order from worst record to best record, first in the same league and then in the other league) can pick up the contract of the waived player. If this happens, the waiving team can let that team pick up the contract or cancel the waiving. If the player is not picked up by any team, the player in question may be traded as usual.

Let me put it this way. If I care about what we trade for this offseason, I'll be pissed off because we didn't win the World Series.

I also agree with knightni. We'll never get anybody good through waivers. The things we'd be looking for (reliever/LH hitter) will be scooped up long before he gets to us.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Heh.

We'll never get anyone through waivers with our record.

The Twins/Yankees/Red Sox etc. will block anything we try to do.

thats what i said until eveyrone on this board poohpoohed that

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
I owe you an apology.  I never consider the difficulty we'd have getting our players though waivers.  My bad.

Ehhh...

More likely, it will be that we can't pick anyone up because they won't make it through waivers.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
The Sox kept their prospects and this means in the off-season Kenny will likely get a major player.  We have some major league ready guys that will need a spot or be traded.  So, my guess is in the off-season Kenny will acquire a major bat or arm with prospects as the bait.

You're definitely right, but the real question is why worry about it now?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
You're definitely right, but the real question is why worry about it now?

You have to enjoy this ride whiile it lasts. However, the future does look EXTREMELY bright. We have a lot of key contributors locked up, extra payroll, and a lot of good young talent. It is great to be a Sox fan.