Whats worse

kev211

Whats worse steriods or betting on baseball?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Whats worse steriods or betting on baseball?

• Steriods
    • Betting on Baseball

Steriods:

1st time offender=10 games

Betting on baseball:

Lifetime ban

IMO I think using steriods are worse, I do think betting on baseball is bad and you should be punished but not for a lifetime. But look at it this way, somone can use steriods once and get suspended for 10 days. Someone can be caught betting on baseball and be banned from the game for life. I think both should be around a year to a 2 year suspension.

And I do think that both Pete Rose and Rafiel Palmiero should both be in the Hall of Fame.

If you are betting on baseball and throwing the game or trying to lose to make money, then betting is worse then roids.

Roids are worse then betting on your team to win... unless your the manager and do everything possible to win like blow out your bullpen to win and your team loses the next couple games because of it.

I guess the real question is:

What has changed more outcomes of games? betting or steroids?

Figure that one out and thats what is worse.

So i'm leaning towrds steroids, i hope.

Edited by joemg311

Steroids create an unfair advantage to the other team.

As does betting and blowing games.

Hall Of Fame however is for the people who were dominant and changed thier sport. For people who made incredible accomplishments. Now, blowing a World Series and betting on baseball while involved as a manger doesnt inhance performance.

Steroids Do.

Ban Palmeiro.

While I think that a lifetime ban for a first offense is too harsh, I believe what Rose did is more damaging to the "integrity of the game" than what Palmeiro did. Rose, as a manager, was in a position to potentially harm the careers of his players ( by overuse or improper use of players ) for his own personal gain. I think that's worse than something an individual does to himself.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
Maybe we should show this to good ol bud selig

Bud Selig floated a 50 day suspension for the 1st offense earlier this year...the Players association hasn't acted on it, and I'm not sure how much Selig has pushed it. I get the feeling there's sort of a "let's get through this season first" feel to it...and I'll guarantee that Palmeiro testing positive after his performance on the hill will drive them to get a new deal done.

Otherwise, Congress will jump in, and Raffy's test seals that for me - a guy who stuck his finger in their faces and said no just tested positive. If that isn't motivation for Congress, I don't know what is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
Bud Selig floated a 50 day suspension for the 1st offense earlier this year...the Players association hasn't acted on it, and I'm not sure how much Selig has pushed it.  I get the feeling there's sort of a "let's get through this season first" feel to it...and I'll guarantee that Palmeiro testing positive after his performance on the hill will drive them to get a new deal done. 

Otherwise, Congress will jump in, and Raffy's test seals that for me - a guy who stuck his finger in their faces and said no just tested positive.  If that isn't motivation for Congress, I don't know what is.

I meant that as more of a reinstate peterose thing

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
I meant that as more of a reinstate peterose thing

Well, I don't want Rose reinstated either, but that makes sense too...just sounded to me like you were attacking the steroid testing policy. My mistake.

My beef with Rose is very simple; in every major league clubhouse, there is a sign telling people not to bet on baseball. It has been there since the 1919 mess. If Joe Jackson doesn't get into the HOF without the sign, Rose doesn't get in after ignoring it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Well, I don't want Rose reinstated either, but that makes sense too...just sounded to me like you were attacking the steroid testing policy.  My mistake.

My beef with Rose is very simple; in every major league clubhouse, there is a sign telling people not to bet on baseball.  It has been there since the 1919 mess.  If Joe Jackson doesn't get into the HOF without the sign, Rose doesn't get in after ignoring it.

I agree, I just think that the steriod punishment is to leniant and the Betting on Baseball penalty is to harsh they both need to evened out.

Personally, I don't think Steroids is that bad. My theory is that players have been looking for a way to game the system for years. Before steroids it was something else. And steroids is not a key to the hall of fame. Maybe just a key to throwing your back out with a sneeze or having a Jason Giambi Yankees experience.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Personally, I don't think Steroids is that bad. My theory is that players have been looking for a way to game the system for years. Before steroids it was something else. And steroids is not a key to the hall of fame. Maybe just a key to throwing your back out with a sneeze or having a Jason Giambi Yankees experience.

The numbers in baseball are sacred. It was always a tool used to measure players against each other, regardless of era. Steroids have messed that up beyond repair.

I grew up knowing:

1. Aaron 755

2. Ruth 714

3. Mays 660

4. FRobinson 586

I never saw any of them play, but when guys like Schmidt were making their push for 500 at the end of their careers, it made 755 seem incredible to me. Almost the equivalent of Cy Young winning 511 games or Ryan having 5700 Ks.

Now, Bonds, Sammy, Mac, Raffy, etc. have messed with this. I think that sucks.

That said, nothing is worse than gambling because it turns the sport into professional wrestling. Is this real? Fake? Is he trying?

Baseball really blew it with the lack of drug testing, though.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
The numbers in baseball are sacred.  It was always a tool used to measure players against each other, regardless of era.  Steroids have messed that up beyond repair.

I grew up knowing:

1. Aaron 755

2. Ruth 714

3. Mays 660

4. FRobinson 586

I never saw any of them play, but when guys like Schmidt were making their push for 500 at the end of their careers, it made 755 seem incredible to me.  Almost the equivalent of Cy Young winning 511 games or Ryan having 5700 Ks.

Now, Bonds, Sammy, Mac, Raffy, etc. have messed with this.  I think that sucks.

That said, nothing is worse than gambling because it turns the sport into professional wrestling.  Is this real?  Fake?  Is he trying?

Baseball really blew it with the lack of drug testing, though.

That is one awesome post. It puts the whole thing into the proper perspective.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
I think that smaller parks, weaker pitching and growing reliance on the longball did more to increase homerun production than the "clear" and the "cream."

Those things have certainly contributed. However, I wouldn't come to the same conclusion you have:

1. Hank Aaron+ 755 R

2. Babe Ruth+* 714 L

3. Barry Bonds* 703 L

4. Willie Mays+ 660 R

5. Sammy Sosa 587 R

6. Frank Robinson+ 586 R

7. Mark McGwire 583 R

8. Harmon Killebrew+ 573 R

9. Rafael Palmeiro 569 L

10. Reggie Jackson+* 563 L

Four active players in the top 10 in career HR. All of which are associated with steroids. Coincidence? I think not.

You still gotta make contact. I agree.. roids are terrible.. and it's cheating. But without the eyes and the instinct one is not hitting a 90+ mph ball.

Both are equally bad, IMO, because they are both cheating.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Does that mean Lasix surgery should be banned too? After all, it only helps you see the ball better?

What makes one performance enhancing procedure acceptable and the other not?

Yeah, but Lasik only brings you back to almost 20-20. It brings you back to normal, it doesn't give you 'supervision'.