Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
By the way...did anyone else catch that the IU/Kentucky game was broadcast on ESPN Classic?  I couldn't figure that one out, but it was enjoyable to watch it out here.

Yep. Watched it all the way through. Complete domination. Had to ask a few people to make sure it was actually IU on the field.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
By the way...did anyone else catch that the IU/Kentucky game was broadcast on ESPN Classic?  I couldn't figure that one out, but it was enjoyable to watch it out here.

I'm at all the games. I'm a chair for SAB this year, and one of my areas is football and revenue sales.

I wish we didn't have a bye week with the high we're riding. However, we've had a couple interesting games in our last few matchups against the Badgers, as the article I posted said.

IU has won its last two matchups against the Badgers, including a 63-32 triumph in Madison on Oct. 6, 2001. In 2002, the Hoosiers stormed back from a 29-10 fourth-quarter deficit to defeat the then-No. 23 Badgers, 32-29, in Bloomington on Oct. 12.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)

ESPN Classic is broadcasting a couple of college football games every Saturday.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Yep.  Watched it all the way through.  Complete domination.  Had to ask a few people to make sure it was actually IU on the field.

Yeah, I was asking who the hell those guys were and why they stole the Hoosiers uniforms.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Yeah, I was asking who the hell those guys were and why they stole the Hoosiers uniforms.

Unfortunately, we don't really have any winnable games on the schedule outside of Illinois. Maybe Minnesota. But everything else would seem to be a pretty big upset. I think a semi-realistic goal for this team should be going into the Bucket Game with a chance at a Bowl. If they do that, this season would be a HUGE success.

Yeah

Name the last time Wisconsin ever beat Michigan.

The closest we came was a few years back where Michigan punted in the final few minutes, and it hit one of our players and Michigan recovered and won.

Do I think Wisconsin can beat Michigan?

Yes

Do I think Wisconsin will beat Michigan?

Yes, if they display the stat "Wisconsin has never beaten Michigan" or something else to curse the Wolverines, much like Dallas was cursed last night.

SB

I'd take Wisconsin and the points. (I don't even know what it is) -- Historically, (recently at least) Wisconsin struggles with one of their non-conference games, but opens the Big Ten season with a bang. They tend to fade down the stretch though.

Getting Michigan early, at home, when they're struggling is a one helluva break for Wisconsin. As an Iowa fan, I would love for Michigan to be headed to IC this weekend.

Iowa goes on the Road against OSU this weekend. Last time Iowa was there, they lost 19-17(16?) but dominated the gameplay. OSU had a couple HUGE plays that decided the game. -- Going with recent history again, Iowa struggles in their first big road game of the year. (You could argue that they already played that one against ISU, but I don't think many players or coaches had that one circled. THIS is the game that they want.) OSU's favored by a tuddy. No way am I making a play on this game.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Who said Michigan is struggling??    I'll wait to see what happens this weekend before making that determination.  One bad game does not mean a team is "struggling".

I know what you mean. They didn't exactly look great against NIU. Got turnovers which is a sign of good defense, I suppose. Henne laid an egg vs. ND.

Wisconsin game will be my determination on this team.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah

Name the last time Wisconsin ever beat Michigan.

The closest we came was a few years back where Michigan punted in the final few minutes, and it hit one of our players and Michigan recovered and won.

Do I think Wisconsin can beat Michigan?

Yes

Do I think Wisconsin will beat Michigan?

Yes, if they display the stat "Wisconsin has never beaten Michigan" or something else to curse the Wolverines, much like Dallas was cursed last night.

SB

Guess I'm just with the thinking that every Big 10 road game is tough. Wolverine defense is still suspect IMO. Just being cautious.

Stopping Calhoun is gonna be a hell of a task. Carolina constantly put 8 in the box and he still managed over 150, Wisc just kept pounding him and pounding him until eventually he wore down Carolina's D in the 4th and got some big runs. One thing Michigan has a big chance with is their passing game. If Henne is on, they could have a big day. You will likely see Wisconsin playing smash mouth football trying to speed up the game and Michigan airing it out trying to get as many possessions as possible. Will be interesting to see who prevails. Most people in the nation don't know about Calhoun yet, but they will.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Stopping Calhoun is gonna be a hell of a task. Carolina constantly put 8 in the box and he still managed over 150, Wisc just kept pounding him and pounding him until eventually he wore down Carolina's D in the 4th and got some big runs. One thing Michigan has a big chance with is their passing game. If Henne is on, they could have a big day. You will likely see Wisconsin playing smash mouth football trying to speed up the game and Michigan airing it out trying to get as many possessions as possible. Will be interesting to see who prevails. Most people in the nation don't know about Calhoun yet, but they will.

If Michigan can get ahead by a couple of scores early, it will certainly help pull Wisky out of their plan.

I am also Curious to see what Michigan does this weekend. This is a weird team, I don't know what to think.

I think the loss of Braylon Edwards is definately showing. There is not that big time playmaker that Henne can always get the ball to. I would like to see Carr use Tabb a little more, but he has been a non-factor his whole career pretty much. I thought he was going to be a big time receiver.

The game plan should be pretty simple.

Wisconsin:

Offense:

Control the tempo.

Run the ball.

Use the run to set up the deep ball.

Get Brandon Williams the ball in open space.

Use Owen Daniels as a miss match versus LB's.

Calhoun should have 30+ touches, Stanley 10+ touches.

Try to run atleast 40 times.

Defense:

Stop the pass.

Get pressure on the QB.

Make Michigan beat you through the run.

Long yardage 3rd downs.

Wisconsin is vastly underrated this year imo. Calhoun is for real, and is better than Davis and Bennet. The Wisconsin offensive line is a dominant unit, and they will play old school Woody Hayes, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. They have talented WR's and TE, but Stocco is still young and there is no reason to put the game in his hand.

If Wisconsin does fall behind, I do have confidence that Stocco could move the ball effectively, it just is not as preferrable as slamming the ball down Michigan's throat.

In the end, it will depend on a few things:

1) Can Michigan stop the stretch play?

Wisconsin will run this play almost non-stop if it is effective. Its like a bastardized sweep where the line men pull and Calhoun runs behind them.

2) Can Wisconsin defend the pass?

Wisconsin is pretty solid against the run, although they have not been tested by anything close to Michigan. The Wisconsin defense plays against the Wisconsin offense, so they are used to the run. But generally Wisconsin is not very good against the pass.

3) Special teams.

Punting, Kicking, have always plagued Wisconsin. If they can play solid special teams, they could win.

It is very hard for me to put my biases aside and call this game. In my heart I want Wisconsin to win, and I believe that they can. There are very few night games at Camp Randall, but when they occur they are absolutely insane.

I think this year of any year Wisconsin really could beat Michigan, and Wisconsin should be considered a dark horse Big 10 team.

They just get no respect. No respect in football, no respect in basketball, but eventually you have to win big games to earn that respect. Part of me thinks Alvarez chose to retire this year because he felt he could make a splash.

SB

QUOTE(1549 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
I am also Curious to see what Michigan does this weekend.  This is a weird team, I don't know what to think. 

I think the loss of Braylon Edwards is definately showing.  There is not that big time playmaker that Henne can always get the ball to.  I would like to see Carr use Tabb a little more, but he has been a non-factor his whole career pretty much.  I thought he was going to be a big time receiver.

I don't see where the loss of Edwards has shown at all. Michigan had receivers open in the Notre Dame game, Henne just didn't get the ball to them. He either through to the wrong receiver, or threw inaccurately.

There is plenty of talent on that offense. Sure having Edwards would be nice, but this team will score points. Henne did not play well against Notre Dame and Hart getting hurt early didn't hurt either.

The defense will get a test this weekend, but I am not worried about the offense at all.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
I don't see where the loss of Edwards has shown at all.  Michigan had receivers open in the Notre Dame game, Henne just didn't get the ball to them.  He either through to the wrong receiver, or threw inaccurately.

There is plenty of talent on that offense.  Sure having Edwards would be nice, but this team will score points.  Henne did not play well against Notre Dame and Hart getting hurt early didn't hurt either. 

The defense will get a test this weekend, but I am not worried about the offense at all.

I think part of Henne's problem in that game was not having the guy you can give the ball to in any situation A guy to always look at first or have to dump the ball to in a panic.

Edited by 1549