Matt Smith outrighted to Charlotte...

GoSoxGo

QUOTE(heirdog @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
Roster spot = Young or Owens who are not on the 40 man.  .340 hitter with speed or 30-30 man (granted its all at Bham) but would be nice in September.

Young is going to the AZ fall league, so cross him off of the list as a call up for right now.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
I meant Jose Vizcaino.  The point is that Chipper Jones, David Bell, Joe Crede, Mark Bellhorn... These aren't stellar defensive players, and Bellhorn isn't as bad defensively as some would think.

You are lumping in Crede's defense with those hacks?

Crede is a stellar defensive player and thats why he is in the lineup. In fact, his defense is one of the major parts of this first place team. There are other teams (red sox, yankees) who have absolutley no defense at times, but get by because of their high-priced sluggers. We dont have that luxury and therefor get by with our pitching and our defense. Put Bellhorn at 3B and there goes a major strength for the team. He doesnt fit on this roster IMO. There IS a reason that nobody else wants him FWIW.

Why hasn't Frank been put on the 60day DL? Does it have something to do with playoff shares? Maybe that's why MLB has given the White Sox some latitude here. Out of respect for Frank. There's not even a slim chance he'll play again this year so it doesn't have the effect of giving the White Sox any competitive advantage.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
I wonder if the spot was opened up just in case it was needed.  Could KW perhaps just be thinking Cincinnati ownership could cave on August 31 and so he wants to have that spot open at a moment's notice in the unlikely event KGJ is acquired?

SFF

I think you are thinking along the right lines. Let's be honest here, was Matt Smith really going to contribute to the 2005 White Sox? Was he even going to be a Sept. call-up? Doubtful.

If an opportunity presents itself, the spot is already open. I don't think this necessarily means something is lined up.

I apologize if somebody already posted this. I haven't made it throught the entire thread.

Per the Sun-Times

MAKING ROOM: The Sox outrighted Class AAA pitcher Matt Smith to Charlotte to reduce the 40-man roster to 39. The move gives the Sox the option of using a player not on the current 40-man roster to start a game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, such as Class AA pitchers Nik Lubisich (8-4, 2.93 ERA) or Heath Phillips (9-5, 3.66). Both are left-handers, and the Rangers are loaded with left-handed hitters.

QUOTE(shakes @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
I apologize if somebody already posted this. I haven't made it throught the entire thread.

Per the Sun-Times

MAKING ROOM: The Sox outrighted Class AAA pitcher Matt Smith to Charlotte to reduce the 40-man roster to 39. The move gives the Sox the option of using a player not on the current 40-man roster to start a game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, such as Class AA pitchers Nik Lubisich (8-4, 2.93 ERA) or Heath Phillips (9-5, 3.66). Both are left-handers, and the Rangers are loaded with left-handed hitters.

...and bingo was his name-o.

The Rangers pwn McCarthy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I think you are thinking along the right lines.  Let's be honest here, was Matt Smith really going to contribute to the 2005 White Sox?  Was he even going to be a Sept. call-up?  Doubtful.

If an opportunity presents itself, the spot is already open.  I don't think this necessarily means something is lined up.

btw, ranch tooth bugs the crap out of me. thought I'd get that off my chest.

alright, let's continue.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Timo has a good night & suddenly the team is considered with pitching again :rolly

Bring up Owens.  I think the Barons are in the playoffs so as soon as that's over with get that kid up here.  If he doesn't nothing but PH & PR he still could be a difference maker.

His OBP and BA seem to indicate that he could contribute. I think they should have brought him up when PODS went down, but its obviously not going to happen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
So anything to make out of this 13 page thread?  I just got my internet connection back so I just saw this......

More Griffey speculation, but alas, more talking and no real info.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
You are lumping in Crede's defense with those hacks?

Crede is a stellar defensive player and thats why he is in the lineup.  In fact, his defense is one of the major parts of this first place team.  There are other teams (red sox, yankees) who have absolutley no defense at times, but get by because of their high-priced sluggers.  We dont have that luxury and therefor get by with our pitching and our defense.  Put Bellhorn at 3B and there goes a major strength for the team.  He doesnt fit on this roster IMO.  There IS a reason that nobody else wants him FWIW.

Those hacks you speak of are comparable to Crede by statistics.

On a team that is defensively sound, yet cannot hit the ball, some measures need to be taken to fix the offense whether that be Bellhorn or someone else.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Those hacks you speak of are comparable to Crede by statistics.

On a team that is defensively sound, yet cannot hit the ball, some measures need to be taken to fix the offense whether that be Bellhorn or someone else.

They arent comparable to crede's defensive ability. And bellhorn is not your offensive savior. Thats why nobody wants him, because he isnt that damn good. On this team, with our budget and our focus, I would rather have dependable defense than mashers in my lineup. We had that the last few years, and it didnt work.

QUOTE(ISF @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Blum should be starting at 3B.

I don't care how good Crede's defense is at 3B, you need to be able to get a hit once in a while to be a regular in this league.

he is in a slump, thats for sure. But you have to admit. He is due, and I want him to be out there when he breaks out of it. Heres to hoping sept is one of Joe's "on" months. :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
They arent comparable to crede's defensive ability.  And bellhorn is not your offensive savior.  Thats why nobody wants him, because he isnt that damn good.  On this team, with our budget and our focus, I would rather have dependable defense than mashers in my lineup.  We had that the last few years, and it didnt work.

They are comparable to Crede's defensive ability according to statistics whether you choose to believe it or not, and I never said Bellhorn was the offensive savior this team had to have. He's a quality on-base percentage guy on a team that has very few base runners and needs more.

Joe Crede not a masher? He does nothing but get out and hit home runs? Maybe our definitions differ..