Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

QUOTE(56789 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Ive heard that a bunch of times and i still dont understand what he is saying when he says "they have given them permission to go down there and shoot us"  WTF is that supposed to mean?

That's that son of a b**** race baiting again. He heard that the police had the green light to shoot armed thugs who are roaming the city and he twisted it around to make it sound like police were going in to start shooting down anybody.

The more I hear about that cock sucker the more I hate him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY Times are a bunch of hypocritical assholes.

Their editorials rip the federal government for cutting spending on Levee work in NO when in years past it ripped the same such spending as a "boondoggle" & harmful to the environment.

:headshake NT Times.

:headbang Brit Hume on Fox News for pointing that out.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
The American Red Cross

Thanks Jim. We just spent this weekend moving into the new place, and spending butt-loads of money to get it baby ready and safe. It was a strange feeling, I should have felt estatic for our first home and a baby on the way, but mostly I felt guilty for buying half of the stuff that we did. We can't give anything worth while, but hopefully this will connect someone who can.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
Thanks Jim.  We just spent this weekend moving into the new place, and spending butt-loads of money to get it baby ready and safe.  It was a strange feeling, I should have felt estatic for our first home and a baby on the way, but mostly I felt guilty for buying half of the stuff that we did.  We can't give anything worth while, but hopefully this will connect someone who can.

Tell me about guilt over the little things we take for granted.

We took the kids to Disney for the weekend for a birthday trip. it was planned a month ago and the hotel was non-refundable so even though I wasn't much in the mood we had to go. Every drink of cold, clean water I took during 90+ degree days at the theme parks was accompanied by massive guilt that I could have all the water i wanted whil 10 hours to the west people were dying for lack of the very same thing.

It's fuuny the odd ways things hit home sometimes.

I'm sure it's been psoted somewhere, on PHT probably, but it was great to hear the BoSox were donating a portion of ticket proceeds from the game yesterday to relief efforts. I didn't hear, does anybody know how much tht amounted to?

One of my Assistant Scoutmasters is a board member with the local Red Cross, he's been busy non stop, another Assistant Scoutmaster is in his RV with friends from Church and heading north to help. The rest of the Troop has been collecting needed items to send with.

I know that workers getting shot at, and the resulting deaths, are more newsworthy. But we all the know the depths of charity that Americans have always displayed to suffering. Sadly, most Red Cross corporate donations were down in the months leading up to this. Many corporations mentioned the Tsunami Relief efforts that they donated to.

I'm going to be magnanamous and spread the blame around. For all the fingerpointing between the locals and the feds, nobody seems to be learning anything along the way and actually getting it right.

Trent Lott actually has been trying hard to get things moving for the residents of Katrina-ravaged Mississippi, and I commend him. he's pointed out how unreal it is that there are 20,000 FEMA trailers "sitting in Atlanta" to the that can be used to sheltter displaced families in Mississippi coast, and he urged President Bush during a meeting Monday to intervene. The reason the trailers have not been mobilized? Lott said FEMA has refused to ship the trailers until contracts are secured.

On to the local f***-ups:

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (AP) -- Volunteer physicians are pouring in to care for the sick, but red tape is keeping hundreds of others from caring for Hurricane Katrina survivors while health problems rise.

Among the doctors stymied from helping out are 100 surgeons and paramedics in a state-of-the-art mobile hospital, developed with millions of tax dollars for just such emergencies, marooned in rural Mississippi.

. . . .

The North Carolina mobile hospital stranded in Mississippi was developed through the Office of Homeland Security after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. With capacity for 113 beds, it is designed to handle disasters and mass casualties.

Equipment includes ultrasound, digital radiology, satellite Internet, and a full pharmacy, enabling doctors to do most types of surgery in the field, including open-chest and abdominal operations.

It travels in a convoy that includes two 53-foot trailers, which as of Sunday afternoon was parked on a gravel lot 70 miles north of New Orleans because Louisiana officials for several days would not let them deploy to the flooded city, Rich said.

:angry: :angry:

full CNN story

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

On Friday, Gary Maclaughlin of Santa Cruz, Calif., flew to Nashville, Tenn., where he bought a diesel-powered 1990 yellow school bus for $2,000. He charged $1,500 worth of water, diapers, granola bars and peanut butter crackers on his credit card and headed straight for the shelters.

By Sunday evening he was driving loads of evacuees from the New Orleans Airport to a rescue shelter in Covington, La.

:notworthy :notworthy :pray

If God had a name, what would it be

And would you call it to his face

If you were faced with him in all his glory

What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us

Just a slob like one of us

Just a stranger on the bus

Trying to make his way home

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
:notworthy  :notworthy  :pray

If God had a name, what would it be

And would you call it to his face

If you were faced with him in all his glory

What would you ask if you had just one question

And yeah yeah God is great yeah yeah God is good

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us

Just a slob like one of us

Just a stranger on the bus

Trying to make his way home

Yeah, but remember, it would have been impossible to forcably evacuate the city before the storm. Busses? Gas? what do we look like, the U.S.?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Yeah, but remember, it would have been impossible to forcably evacuate the city before the storm. Busses?  Gas?  what do we look like, the U.S.?

They showed a picture on Brit Hume's show last night with dozens and dozens of school busses all sitting dress right dress in a parking lot in about 2 feet of water. Why weren't they pressed into service by local officials to get people out of there?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
They showed a picture on Brit Hume's show last night with dozens and dozens of school busses all sitting dress right dress in a parking lot in about 2 feet of water.  Why weren't they pressed into service by local officials to get people out of there?

Lots of reasons. Because the local people didn't think it would be that bad either, because the local people expected federal help, because it's almost impossible to evacuate that many people without the national guard, because the locals expected the feds to do it, because without federal help there would have been no destination to send them to, etc.

The fact is this...it was a gigantic failure all around. At a dozen steps, taking a single action could have saved a thousand lives. Moving those buses in advance could easily have saved lives. Having Chertoff learn about the levee breach less than 1 day after it happened could have saved lives. Cutting back the tax cuts by $25 billion in order to shore up those levees could have saved lives. The reality is...this hurricane exposed a mess of poor organization and planning up and down the chain of command.

The people running the city in Louisiana did a terrible job beforehand, as did the Federal government. The Federal Government did an equally bad job afterwards. You cannot excuse the incompetence of either group here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Because the local people didn't think it would be that bad either,

I was sitting with Brian's sister who was on the phone with her boyfriend who was stuck in a hotel during th hurricane. While on the phone with him, he said that the local news was saying something about not being as bad as initially thought (this was at about 2PM that Sunday). Some people might have misinterpretted that to mean that the hurricane would weaken to where the city could deal rather than going from a 5 to a 4 which is what I think they were meaning (as that was what weather channel had been reporting).

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Let's forget about the politics and just help these people...

I'm not sure we have the luxury to forget about the politics. We certainly need to prioritize getting help to these people, but we have to examine what happened and what didn't happen here. We could have another natural disaster, or man made disaster, next week. We have to get on this and fix it, asap.