"Official Double Dip Thread" 8/30/05

Brian

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Pavano had one good season preceded by several of mediocrity. Dont you think the Yankee scouts could have figured it out? No. GS just has a lot of money to throw around so if one guys doesnt work out, it doesnt really matter. If Jon the coward were available at the end of this season, hed be getting huge offers.

There were a lot of people on this board hoping JR would open the checkbook and sign Pavano. I desperately wanted the Sox to get Randy Johnson and there were a lot who felt the same, some signings are a stretch, some are just bad luck. If Steinbrenner wants to throw his money at everyone, more power to him.

Ok Garland sucked today but so did Buehrle yesterday, lets analyze Garland once the seasons over to be fair, he did a good job vs a hot bmore team.

Buehrle has proven himself year after year as a solid starter. JG has always been mediocre and even this year he struggles against the good ones. Hes got talent, he simply lacks balls. He is scared of the hitters. The great ones are never scared. Instead they scare the hitters.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
There were a lot of people on this board hoping JR would open the checkbook and sign Pavano. I desperately wanted the Sox to get Randy Johnson and there were a lot who felt the same,  some signings are a stretch, some are just bad luck. If Steinbrenner wants to throw his money at everyone, more power to him.

I wanted Wright... :stick

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Buehrle has proven himself year after year as a solid starter. JG has always been mediocre and even this year he struggles against the good ones. Hes got talent, he simply lacks balls. He is scared of the hitters. The great ones are never scared. Instead they scare the hitters.

I am sure someone can dig up some stats on Garland vs teams above .500 and prove you wrong.

i dont remember him struggling against boston or oakland earlier in the season he killed against baltimore when they were hot remember that 3-2 changeup on tejada NASTAY

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
I am not seeing the game, but can anyone explain why McCarthy has been this dominant tonight? Is he finally using his changeup?

great breaking ball tonight, every fastball is on the black, havent seen much of the change Edit: or not as hawk says he has been using the change lol

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(WhiteSox311 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
i dont remember him struggling against boston or oakland earlier in the season he killed against baltimore when they were hot remember that 3-2 changeup on tejada NASTAY

Garland's clearly pitched better this season than Buehrle against the top teams.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
great breaking ball tonight, every fastball is on the black, havent seen much of the change        Edit: or not as hawk says he has been using the change lol

I must be watching a different game, because he's throwing that change-up a ton. He's kept the Rangers hitters off-balanced all night.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)

Garland, unlike Buehrle, has actually done very well against the better teams. He has wins against Boston, Oakland (2), San Diego, Minnesota, and Cleveland (2).

He is scared of the hitters.

Could have fooled me vs. Miguel Tejada, he went right at him. It was an epic duel.

He is 25 going on 26 and still needs to learn more about how to adjust to hitters. This year has been a big step forward for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
I must be watching a different game, because he's throwing that change-up a ton.  He's kept the Rangers hitters off-balanced all night.

ive been in and out of the game, what has impressed me most has been the location on the express

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
ive been in and out of the game, what has impressed me most has  been the location on the express

haha ive got my foot in my mouth big time, as first pitch change to blalock.....my bad

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Can we trade Young, Sweeney, and Gio for Teixeira?  I absolutely love his overall game.

that kid is legit no doubt, if i could have one guy from teh rangers it would certainly be teixeira

There were a lot of people on this board hoping JR would open the checkbook and sign Pavano. I desperately wanted the Sox to get Randy Johnson and there were a lot who felt the same,  some signings are a stretch, some are just bad luck. If Steinbrenner wants to throw his money at everyone, more power to him.

No, thats like cheating. Whats the fun in rooting for a team thats just going to buy whatever it needs? I like rooting for the Sox. Homegrown players, some trades and a few FAs. Jeter, Williams and Rivera are the only Yankees to be with the Yanks before stardom. For the Sox, ARow, PK, Crede, Thomas, Buehrle, Garland, Jenks, McCarthy, Marte and Cotts all came to prominence with us. Some of them were with other organizations, but they never did anything before coming here. We had to take risks on them. The Yanks never do that.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:33 AM)
ive been in and out of the game, what has impressed me most has  been the location on the express

I think what's impressed me most is his presence. He doesn't look like a skinny kid who's one pitch away from giving up a 450 foot homer today. Instead, he's been in and out, and up and down, with his pitches, and he's been able to get away with some high change-ups by throwing them in the right counts.