Ozzie melting down?

The Ginger Kid

Greinke managed to avoid becoming the major leagues' first 17-game loser.

``I got bailed out by the defense and by bad baserunning,'' he said. ``They're playing for a lot. You can see how pumped-up they are.''

He's talking about the Indians, right?

``Ever since the All-Star break, it seems like I haven't had too many good games. It's frustrating,'' said Buehrle. ``We've still got six games with Cleveland. And the way that they're playing, they could sweep us right now. If we keep on playing like we're playing, we're not going to the playoffs. We'll be home on Oct. 3.''

Not the kind of attitude you want to have. Buehrle better just keep his mouth shut. If that's how he feels, then that's what's going to happen. :headshake

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Not the kind of attitude you want to have.  Buehrle better just keep his mouth shut.  If that's how he feels, then that's what's going to happen. :headshake

I'm actually fairly happy that he has that attitude...because it's a much better attitude than say, sitting around and blaming lights in center field or something crazy like that.

He's at least admitting he's not performing the way he should. At least he understands there's a problem. That's a lot better than refusing to admit the problem.

Sounds like it has come to the point where Ozzie's washing his hands of this mess, throwing up his hands and saying "I don't have an answer." It just seems like every September we're reading quotes like this coming from the white sox..."we just stink, I don't know why." I'm so sick and tired of watching this team fade. f***. A 15 game lead on August 1.

I don't blame Buehrle, he pitched okay, I don't know why he's saying that. Vizcaino gave it up big time, and Jenks is throwing 85mph sliders belt high when he could throw fastballs at 98.

It just makes no sense. You don't play as well as this team did for most of season by accident. That's not a fluke.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
thats not good.  I remember he had like 45-50 steals before he got injured and was out for the extended period of time but he is still getting caught on the bases.

Not making excuses today, but the conditions weren't that great...the field was wet the whole game.

Pods had 22 stolen bases in a row earlier this year. Since then, I bet he's at like 33%. Either he has something wrong in his head where he's worried about his legs and not getting a good jump, or he's still genuinely hurt. It's one or the other. This is clearly not the Podsednik on the base paths we saw in late June.

I love Oz's quotes.

We suck.

He knows it.

You know it.

I know it.

Can we make the playoffs? Doubtful.

Like you all said Cleveland is simply going to rout the Royals; those games

will be over by mid-game. We on the other hand will be lucky to win one in Minn.

Ouch.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I love Oz's quotes.

We suck.

He knows it.

You know it.

I know it.

Can we make the playoffs? Doubtful.

Like you all said Cleveland is simply going to rout the Royals; those games

will be over by mid-game. We on the other hand will be lucky to win one in Minn.

Ouch.

Good points. The thing is, there's nothing you, me, or 99 pct of soxtalk posters can do about it. All we can do from here on out is hope for the best.

Pods has to be injured. Like I told Nuke last night, ever since he came back from the DL, he runs like he has something up his ass. Not only when running on the bases, but when he runs down a ball. He runs really tender.

I like Buehrle's quote. It's damn true. About goddamn time this team doesn't use, "we're still first in the division [insert garbage here]"

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
I like Buehrle's quote. It's damn true. About goddamn time this team doesn't use, "we're still first in the division [insert garbage here]"

It's sure a far cry from complaining about how many people were in the stands against the Royals last week. At least they're talking about baseball.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Pods has to be injured. Like I told Nuke last night, ever since he came back from the DL, he runs like he has something up his ass. Not only when running on the bases, but when he runs down a ball. He runs really tender.

Pods has no confidence on the bases now. I'm not ready to let him off the hook by saying it's cause of an injury. Also, does an injury make you scared to go up against a wall and catch the ball?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Pods has no confidence on the bases now.  I'm not ready to let him off the hook by saying it's cause of an injury.  Also, does an injury make you scared to go up against a wall and catch the ball?

Yes, actually, it can...if you're worried about twisting something or re-injuring something, you're going to be extra-tentative in the outfield because you don't want to lose your footing when you hit the track or bang something into the wall the wrong way.

The same thing can happen on the basepaths...even if you're not actually hurt, if all you're doing is thinking about an old injury, your technique can suffer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Yes, actually, it can...if you're worried about twisting something or re-injuring something, you're going to be extra-tentative in the outfield because you don't want to lose your footing when you hit the track or bang something into the wall the wrong way.

The same thing can happen on the basepaths...even if you're not actually hurt, if all you're doing is thinking about an old injury, your technique can suffer.

I know it's possible, but if that's true, then he might as well not be playing. Considering he's going to give your team very little offensive production in terms of driving in runs, if Pods is unable to produce on the bases, he's a mediocre offensive player. How about we stop putting on straight steals for him, and try and use more hit-and-runs to create motion on the bases and put pressure on the defense?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
I know it's possible, but if that's true, then he might as well not be playing.  Considering he's going to give your team very little offensive production in terms of driving in runs, if Pods is unable to produce on the bases, he's a mediocre offensive player.  How about we stop putting on straight steals for him, and try and use more hit-and-runs to create motion on the bases and put pressure on the defense?

I have been shocked at how few times a manager who says he wants to use speed and defense has actually used the hit & run this year.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
thats not good.  I remember he had like 45-50 steals before he got injured and was out for the extended period of time but he is still getting caught on the bases.

He should not be allowed to steal a base again...Raines should tackle him. He has lost the ability to steal. I don't know why, but he has. Stop the madness