Twins Offseason Updates

Mplssoxfan

From the Startribune:

Designated hitter Matthew LeCroy was among three players taken off Minnesota's 40-man roster Friday.

LeCroy, a popular teammate who batted .260 with 17 home runs and 50 RBIs in 304 at-bats this year, has spent his entire career with the Twins. Also outrighted to Triple-A Rochester were outfielder Jason Tyner and third baseman Glenn Williams.

On a busy afternoon, Minnesota general manager Terry Ryan declined the $8.5 million option on the contract of right-hander Joe Mays and confirmed that third-base coach Al Newman has accepted a job with the Arizona Diamondbacks as a professional scout.

The 29-year-old LeCroy, a first-round sandwich pick in the 1997 draft out of Clemson, came up as a catcher and also played some first base — but a lack of speed and mobility and limited his value to DH and pinch hitter. Over parts of six major league seasons, LeCroy has batted .263 with 58 homers and 209 RBIs in 430 games.

LeCroy, eligible for salary arbitration, figures to cost more than Minnesota is willing to spend. He made $750,000 this year.

"Unfortunately, I was concerned about the lack of catching ability,'' Ryan said. "I wanted to think he had enough versatility.''

LeCroy was prepared for the decision, speaking fondly of his time with the team.

"I kind of figured they weren't going to pay me the money,'' LeCroy said by phone, after a conversation with Ryan. "He just told me he hated to do it, but he had to do it. ... They're going to kind of shake some things up.''

Mays will receive a $500,000 buyout and become a free agent. Like LeCroy, the Twins will let Mays test the market before deciding whether they want to offer him a deal. But it's unlikely either of them return.

After going 17-13 with a 3.16 ERA in 2001 and signing a $20 million, four-year contract, Mays was a big bust — winning only 18 games after that. He missed the entire 2004 season following reconstructive elbow surgery and returned the rotation this year, finishing 6-10 with a 5.65 ERA and relinquishing his spot in September to rookie Scott Baker.

Newman's departure was a mutual decision, Ryan said. The rest of manager Ron Gardenhire's staff is expected to return, but roles could be shuffled — possibly moving Scott Ullger to replace Newman as third-base coach if Ryan chooses to fill the opening with a hitting coach.

"It's up in the air,'' Ryan said.

The Twins sent second baseman Luis Rivas, outfielder Michael Ryan and utility man Brent Abernathy outright to Rochester earlier in the week and activated center fielder Torii Hunter from the disabled list, leaving them with six open spots on the 40-man roster. Tyner, Williams and Abernathy have a chance to come back, but the club is parting ways with Rivas — another big disappointment.

After he batted .266 with 31 stolen bases in 563 at-bats while playing well in the field as a rookie in 2001, Rivas never got better and lost his job to Nick Punto this spring.

"I do believe he tried,'' Ryan said. "We just couldn't get it going.''

Also, third baseman Michael Cuddyer had successful surgery to repair a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee. First baseman Justin Morneau will not need surgery on his bothersome left elbow, Ryan said.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Wow. Hopefully some of those guys refuse their assignments and they lose them.

LeCroy had the highest OPS+ of any Twins player in 2005....they probably shouldn't be ditching their best hitters given their pathetic offense.

Unless Morneau, Ford and Cuddyer improve dramatically next year, Kubel comes back and is ready to hit and play, and Hunter regains his .850 OPS form, the Twins are really going to be in a down cycle the next few years, even with their great pitching.

I think the division is going to boil down to the Sox and Jndjans next year again, with the edge to the Jndjans if they re-sign Millwood. If they don't re-sign Millwood, I think the Sox would have the slight edge.

It scares me how good Peralta is. I actually hope he's not a good of hitter as he was this year, for the White Sox's sake. That core of Martinez-Peralta-Sizemore up the middle is awesome.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
I think the division is going to boil down to the Sox and Jndjans next year again, with the edge to the Jndjans if they re-sign Millwood.  If they don't re-sign Millwood, I think the Sox would have the slight edge.

It scares me how good Peralta is.  I actually hope he's not a good of hitter as he was this year, for the White Sox's sake.  That core of Martinez-Peralta-Sizemore up the middle is awesome.

Right now I'd agree with you on it looking like Sox/Indians...but first...there's no reason that the Twinkies can't get back into that mix if Hunter returns and they trade some pitching for a bat...they have enough to spare.

But in terms of Sox/Indians...just remember, it does depend a lot on our offseason (do we resign Konerko, is Thomas healthy, etc.), but there's also a very good chance that we could be even better next year than we are this year. Think about this...take the Jose Contreras from the 2nd half this year and give that to us for a full year. Now, take the Brandon McCarthy we saw down the stretch and put him in the rotation the full year. Now, take Bobby Jenks and put him in the closer's spot the full year, with Dustin doing setup duty. Then throw El Duque into a long relief role or trade him or soemthing like that.

The way I look at it...our starting rotation next year could shape up to have 4 Cy Young candidates and Freddy Garcia, and that's not a bad setup.

Cleveland better be hoping Brandon McCarthy is not as good as he looked this year, because a Buehrle/Contreras/Garland/McCarthy rotation next year is just frightening.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
I think there is a very,very good possibility Soriano ends up with the Twins next season.

More K's for our pitchers then. :P

Ok seriously, he would definitley improve their offense. I also think Morneau is going to have a huge season. The central is going to be reckoned with. I knew Cleveland was up there in ERA with us, but damn they tied us? Next season will be interesting with the 3 teams and you can beat Detriot will play a role in spoiling it for the 3 teams if not trying to make a run for it themselves.

QUOTE(~~HighHeat45~~ @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
I heard on Mac Jurko and Harry the other day that the twins are gunna offer their richest contract in team history to Konerko this offseason.

It still won't matter. There will be some team that will offer konerko in the 12 million dollar price range per year and the twins cannot get close to that.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
It still won't matter. There will be some team that will offer konerko in the 12 million dollar price range per year and the twins cannot get close to that.

There's no chance the Twinkies will outbid the Angels for him.

We might still be the team with the best shot of doing that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
There's no chance the Twinkies will outbid the Angels for him.

We might still be the team with the best shot of doing that.

We f***ing better. This contract status should have already been taken care of. Yes you don't want to have any distractions during the season but if Konerko is (and I hate to use this word) the captain of this he should have signed already.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
We f***ing better. This contract status should have already been taken care of. Yes you don't want to have any distractions during the season but if Konerko is (and I hate to use this word) the captain of this he should have signed already.

This season he became the second White Sox player to have 40 home runs in 2 consecutive seasons, and proved that 2004 was not a fluke year.

He's probably added $10 million to what his contract will be...more if he has a dominant ALCS or WS.

I can't blame him for not having signed yet. I just hope we can come to a consensus in the winter.

Well if he has a good post-season the rest of the way he will get some more money. While his avg. wasnt great he definitely helped his cause the first series... so far not so much this one but a lot of games to be played left.

People forget how hard it is to watch Konerko during the season sometimes... I like the guy but man THE PRICE IS WRONG b****!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
I wonder if he'd give the Sox a hometown discount at all?  or take deferred money?  If he will, I bet he'll come back to the Sox.  If he wants it all now, he gawn.

I think he's at least suggested in the past he might offer up a hometown discount...but that offer was made a long time ago.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
I think he's at least suggested in the past he might offer up a hometown discount...but that offer was made a long time ago.

We have to also remember other players... and nice ones at that have said the same thing and gone on to do otherwise.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I wouldn't mind seeing LeCroy in a Sox Uniform.  Be a nice guy to come off the bench.

If LeCroy has a decent agent, he'll get $3 mill next year...perhaps even a 2-year deal with $6-7 mill. If not, he winds up back in Minnesota making $1 mill or so probably.

And I don't want LeCroy. It's not that LeCroy's a bad hitter...it's just that all he does is hit lefties, and the last thing the Sox need is another bat that hits lefties very well and righties not well at all. The Sox need a LH power bat to stick in the middle of the lineup that will actually hit better against RHP than LHP(unlike one Carl Everett).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
This from Rotoworld.

Manager Ozzie Guillen intends to do whatever it takes to retain Paul Konerko during free agency.

"To me, this kid is my leader," Guillen said. "This kid just does everything in his power for us to be what we are, on the field and off the field. I will do anything and (general manager) Kenny Williams will do anything to keep Konerko here. He showed up to play every day. He's a gamer. There's nothing negative to say about him." The Angels, Mets, Red Sox, Diamondbacks and Orioles are some of the teams expected to pursue Konerko

IF that's true, and a good part of me hopes it is...they will sit down and work this thing out a week after the season is over, and it'll turn out to be a fair deal for both sides.

I feel fairly confident that KW doesn't want to endure another Ordonez style long-term negotiation and negative parting.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
This season he became the second White Sox player to have 40 home runs in 2 consecutive seasons, and proved that 2004 was not a fluke year.

He's probably added $10 million to what his contract will be...more if he has a dominant ALCS or WS.

I can't blame him for not having signed yet.  I just hope we can come to a consensus in the winter.

Did the Sox make him an offer?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
IF that's true, and a good part of me hopes it is...they will sit down and work this thing out a week after the season is over, and it'll turn out to be a fair deal for both sides.

I feel fairly confident that KW doesn't want to endure another Ordonez style long-term negotiation and negative parting.

It also puts a ton of pressure on Kenny to bring him back and make him a fair offer. They don't have the standard attendance excuses to fall back on anymore.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
And I don't want LeCroy.  It's not that LeCroy's a bad hitter...it's just that all he does is hit lefties, and the last thing the Sox need is another bat that hits lefties very well and righties not well at all.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner.

My guess is that LeCroy replaces Kevin Millar in Boston as the guy who hits against lefties and plays 1B. Seriously. I think Boston keeps Olerud as their guy who hits against righties (and as a defensive replacement). LeCroy is a guy that Theo Epstein would not be able to pass up on.

In the alternative, I could see him platooning with Hatteberg in Oakland.

LeCroy is a Moneyball player.

When we talk about strengthening the White Sox in the offseason, I think we need to focus on left handed hitters. Not only are the Sox righty-heavy now, the best hitting prospects in the Sox organization - Anderson and Young - are righties. Sweeney is a few years away and needs to show that he can add some power.

Brian Giles is going to be my mantra this offseason.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Ding ding ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner.

My guess is that LeCroy replaces Kevin Millar in Boston as the guy who hits against lefties and plays 1B.  Seriously.  I think Boston keeps Olerud as their guy who hits against righties (and as a defensive replacement).  LeCroy is a guy that Theo Epstein would not be able to pass up on.

In the alternative, I could see him platooning with Hatteberg in Oakland. 

LeCroy is a Moneyball player.

When we talk about strengthening the White Sox in the offseason, I think we need to focus on left handed hitters.  Not only are the Sox righty-heavy now, the best hitting prospects in the Sox organization - Anderson and Young - are righties.  Sweeney is a few years away and needs to show that he can add some power.

Brian Giles is going to be my mantra this offseason.

I could care less if the entire line-up was right handed if they hit right handed pitching well. Just like i could care less if we only had one or even zero lefties in the pen... if we have right handers that can get the lefties out at a good clip.