Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Why judge...just worry about the Illini.  We also have like a zillion national championship titles in wrestling and of course 5 national championships in football.

And Illinois has 9 national titles in Men's Gymnastics.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
I just based that on expectations.  I'd have zero problem with it going to him.  If Michigan finds a way back I'd also look at Amaker. 

Note, I should say that I don't think even I would have said they'd win the big 10 cause I thought MSU would run away with it, but aside from MSU I said Iowa could be as good as anyone else in the conference. 

All that said...there is still a lot of basketball left.  I'm just really proud of the Hawks.  Its been a while since they've had this type of year.  I still think back to the team with Recker and wonder what could have been had he not totally jacked up his knee.  That team was good. 

We also almost beat Uconn when they won the tourney with Rip Hamilton in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 (I think it was Sweet 16).

This Iowa team can do damage come tourny time mostly because of the type of d they play. You play defense like that and you can do some things.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
They can rush the floor every day for all I care...cause in the end a floor rush equates to a WIN.  Well most of the time (cough *Illini fans* cough).

On a sidenote...you guys bash the crowd but this was as loud as I've heard Carver Hawkeye in some time (at least through TV).  The school really seems to be getting behind these guys and I'm glad. We have one of the best home field advantages in football and an awesome following to road games as well (when it comes to FB) and it would be nice to see that happen with basketball as well again.

Now, you just need to figure out ISU. We're trying our damndest to make that a bad loss for you guys. :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
I can't say that.  Alford did a hell of a job coaching Southwest Missouri State.  He obviously has had some down years in the big 10, but he's had some really good teams that were stopped by injuries (when we had Recker in here) and than it took him a while to figure things out.

I think he's learned that its better to have character guys (like Horner/Brunner/etc) as opposed to pure talent guys like Pierce that are total pricks.  He's done a great job getting the team prepared and I don't think there is a team in the conference that runs better plays out of timeouts and I've been watching a ton of big 10 ball this year. 

Plus, there is no way you aren't doing a good coaching job when your taking a team that was picked by no one (but myself) to be in the upper echelon of the big 10 (obviously there is still time left so anything can happen).  Oh and did I mention he's done a very good job making sure these guys play consistently on defense. 

I also think Alford has learned the importance of getting your younger guys some experience so when the seniors leave they may not be quite as raw as originally expected (that said I still expect a down year next year).  Although Henderson/Freeman/Thompson/Haluska isn't too shabby, they'd really have to all step up for it to turn into something better. 

Right now...Alford would get my vote for Big 10 coach of the year.

Agree with every word, and Alford is no doubt Big 10 COY right now. But overall, I still don't think he's a very good coach and I hope Iowa keeps him around. :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Freeman...man do I like how Alford is getting the kid experience in crunch time.  Definately preparing this guy for a big time role next year and he could turn into one of the best Iowa has ever seen at the point position (and they've had some damn good points).  I'm glad he gets to play a year with Horner whose one of the best PG's in the country.

I think you're missing that Freeman's biggest contribution is that he takes the ball out of Horner's hands and turns him into a Reggie Miller type 2-Guard running off screens all day.

Freeman's as good as you get defensively for his size as a freshman, but he's nothing special on the offensive end. That being said, the Hawkeyes are much more explosive with him on the court.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Well Bradley absolutely kicked our asses, game was never even close.  The drive for 5 is all but over and Wichita State is going to win the mvc. :(

What are you talking about you drama queen? WSU is famous for folding in the last 2 weeks of the season, just watch. :P

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
I think you're missing that Freeman's biggest contribution is that he takes the ball out of Horner's hands and turns him into a Reggie Miller type 2-Guard running off screens all day.

Freeman's as good as you get defensively for his size as a freshman, but he's nothing special on the offensive end. That being said, the Hawkeyes are much more explosive with him on the court.

Agreed completely on his defense. Really plays strong, especially considering he's a freshman. Also good point on how it allows Horner to turn into a guy that can run off screens and get open shots.

The other nice thing is that Freeman is already a solid passer. He still has to learn whats a smart shot and what isn't. THe nice thing is he seems to be improving his shot selection and I've noticed his shot has really came a long way from the start of the season.

His quickness should really help him when it comes to penetrating and kicking (But that will happen as he gets older).

Than we have Henderson who I absolutely love driving. That guy knows how to finish. If he could improve his outside shot he'll be a tough guard.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
What are you talking about you drama queen?  WSU is famous for folding in the last 2 weeks of the season, just watch.  :P

Ya I know. I just highly, highly doubt they lose at Drake or home against the Red Birds. There is a slight chance I suppose they can lose up in Des Moines, but I see 0 chance of ISU beating them.

Better quotes from Davis yesterday:

As the team boarded a plane in Bloomington to travel to Penn State for Wednesday's game, Davis told Indianapolis television station WTHR that he believed IU should be one of the country's premier programs.

"If that means me being here or not being here, I have no problem with that," Davis said.

----------------------------

"Let's just unite. Let's unite the program. Let's unite the former players. Let's unite the fans. Let's unite the alumni," he said. "Let's all get on the same page, whether Mike Davis is here or not."

We're at Penn State at 8. If they really want it, they'll take it. IU just needs something positive, and a win would do wonders. They're probably the best opponent for us to be playing right now, true they had a nice win last week. However, Indiana should be able/needs to win this.

for the first time this year the ncaa is releasing the rpi it uses to rank teams for the tournament. these rankings will come out each week. for intents and purposes of tournament selection, this is the only rpi that matters and it directly effects the seeding process.

ncaa rpi

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
for the first time this year the ncaa is releasing the rpi it uses to rank teams for the tournament. these rankings will come out each week. for intents and purposes of tournament selection, this is the only rpi that matters and it directly effects the seeding process.

ncaa rpi

5 Big Ten teams in the top 16, pretty solid

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Is that the same RPI that was released on January 23rd? Or is that something different that they use as well? Too much going on for me right now to remember.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=56016

that one was put out yesterday afternoon by the ncaa. it will come out each week from here until selection sunday on the ncaa.org web site.

DP asks him if he's the guy to get Indiana back to where it was. Davis says he's the guy for this year.

Keith asked him if he thinks he'll be here next year. Davis paused before saying something, and he skirts around it. "I'm just worried about this year."

He refuses to answer any question about next year. DP asked him who we'll see on the sidelines on ESPN highlights of Indiana games next year.

He was just politically correct during the whole interview. He was just talking about how great of a program Indiana is, and where it's been in the past, and that he wants it to be back there.

It'd be a long shot, but it almost sounds like it could happen. Davis kept saying he wants to be here for the rest of his life, etc. I wonder if there's any way we can keep him as an assistant. That'd be great. All the pressure off him, and he could do what he does best, recruit.