Konerko's dad expects son to test market

SSH2005

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think i would be totally crushed if Paulie left next year. What would crush me is if this organization then tried to push Ross Gload as the Sox' next great first baseman. That would be alot of HR's and Rbi's to give up...though maybe he could avoid a few more double plays.

if Paulie goes....then you hit the free agent market and fill in the hole with a comperable bat.

:gosox2: :gosox3: :gosoxretro: :gosox4:

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
I'm just surprised that the Sox didn't try to resign him to get the hometown discount.  Afterall, if Kenny really wants Konerko back like he and Ozzie both said, why wait and have to pay more?

If Paul really wanted to be back.. he wouldn't be testing the waters. Catch 22. Kenny, Ozzie, etc.. aren't done working yet. And neither is Paul. His pop, and him... should shut it and finish business.

The last few weeks, it has seemed more and more likely that PK won't be back for the Sox. With the production he's shown lately, he's making himself the top FA target this offseason. At this point, it really doesn't matter to me. As long as he continues to do well in the postseason, I won't get too mad if he leaves. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him back. However, for the money he's going to get, I won't be too upset to see the Sox go in a different direction. Sometimes the best FA contracts are the ones you don't make.

The last few weeks, it has seemed more and more likely that PK won't be back for the Sox.  With the production he's shown lately, he's making himself the top FA target this offseason.  At this point, it really doesn't matter to me.  As long as he continues to do well in the postseason, I won't get too mad if he leaves.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him back.  However, for the money he's going to get, I won't be too upset to see the Sox go in a different direction.  Sometimes the best FA contracts are the ones you don't make.

If we win the WS, Konerko will be back. Reinsdorf will bring back the same crew and more to try and win another. He would get reamed by the media and fans if he didn't. All the money will be there to do it anyways. But I agree with you, as long as Konerko helps us win this thing it won't really bother me if he isn't back next season.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Lyle Overbay.. Come on down your the next Sox 1st Basemen

After the ALCS, I wanted Pauly to stay, but there are other needs that this team needs in the Offseason. Which of course I will address when the series is over.

:pray

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
If we win the WS, Konerko will be back.  Reinsdorf will bring back the same crew and more to try and win another.  He would get reamed by the media and fans if he didn't.  All the money will be there to do it anyways.  But I agree with you, as long as Konerko helps us win this thing it won't really bother me if he isn't back next season.

I don't think it matters if we win it all in regards to PK. I actually think it's more likely he would leave if the Sox win it all than if they lose to the Astros. Either way, I'm not very optimistic he'll be brought back. I have no fear though, cause I think we'll have a ton of resources to try and improve the offense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
f*** Paulie's dad.  What does he know.  I fully expect that Paul wants to stay with this group of guys, and the experience in the WS is going to amplify that even more.  I still think we get a discount.

Not to try and start an argument, but I would assume PK's dad knows his son's intentions/feelings better than just about anyone. Even though PK has to be politically correct in how he answers questions in the paper, his dad has an easier opportunity to state which way they are favoring.

From what I know about Paulie (which is very little except for through the media), he SEEMS to like being here and didn't like moving from the Dodgers to the Reds to the White Sox. But, if the Sox are close, I could see him staying. Now if some owner (Moreno, Steinbrenner...I'm looking at you) wants to pay $15 mil per...he gawn.

Discounts do exist. Thome offered a big one to the Cub. They turned him down. Giles gave one to Pitt, Griffey to Cincy, & so on. Even Sweeney took on more deferred $$ to hang with the Roys. Both Delgado & Vlad took on backloaded contracts plus deferred $$$ to sign with their new teams.

Then you have the opt out contracts like the Cub & their 3B. He can opt out & become a FA if he thinks he can earn more. So there is contract flexibility occuring all over the league for players who really want to stay with their teams. It's just a question of how bad Paulie wants to remain a White Sox.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
If we win the WS, Konerko will be back.  Reinsdorf will bring back the same crew and more to try and win another.  He would get reamed by the media and fans if he didn't.  All the money will be there to do it anyways.  But I agree with you, as long as Konerko helps us win this thing it won't really bother me if he isn't back next season.

^^ I do think he will be back if we win it all. This organization knows what his value is outside of the numbers which are damn good too. We need Paulie along with Thomas back next season.

Konerko's dad shouldn't be making comments about his contract situation on the eve of the World Series to any reporters. For those comments, he looks like an ass to all of us fans.

Anyhow, Paul just needs to help us get 4 more wins and I could honestly care less whether or not he is brought back. Not one of my favorite Sox players at all. Like his production, hate his inconsistency during the regular season, especially when he sucks for a month or two.

As long as a suitable replacement is brought along, which I think Dye going to 1B could be the move, I'll be satisfied. Our team is built around pitching, not Konerko. We don't need any albatross contracts. Signing Garland to a long term deal should be our top priority this offseason, not Konerko.