Free agent resource.

qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How f***ed up is the market for relievers? Holy s***.

Thank god the Sox have a farm system and good evaluation people upstairs. Jenks(near $300k), Cotts(probably near $500-750K), Politte($1.2 mill), Vizcaino(probably near $1.5 mill), (should they happen to keep him) Marte($2.25 mill), and Hermanson($3 mill).

So basically, I'm figuring our entire bullpen will cost slightly more than the Cubs 2 setup men and closer, and I'm also figuring our setup men and closer will be much more effective then the Cubs will at a fraction of the cost. I'll take that.

Matt Morris - S - Cardinals

Free agent Matt Morris indicated that he's like to stay in the National League, though it won't be a deal breaker.

With Mike Matheny in place, San Francisco appears to be one of his preferred destinations. "It's definitely a possibility," he said. "That would be great to go there and not have to worry about getting adjusted to a new catcher." Morris said the Dodgers, Mariners, Rangers and Red Sox have also displayed interest in him. Dec. 1 - 4:02 am et

Source: timTimes Herald-Record

The Angels, according to a source, have increased their offer to free-agent pitcher Paul Byrd to two years and about $11 million, and the right-hander, who has two-year offers from the Orioles, Rangers and Cleveland, could make a decision this week.

"Paul truly wants to return to the Angels," agent Bo McKinnis said. "He has spoken to [pitching coach] Bud Black and some Angel players frequently over the past few weeks and would really like to be back with them next year."

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
I know this started making the rounds yesterday and before, but I'm seeing it all over today, the Dodgers have entered the Furcal bidding.  He or his agent is going to meet with them tomorrow.

Yup, and I just heard that Furcal, who was supposed to make a decision by Friday or so, will take atleast another 3-4 days to mull over his options. I'm thinking the Dodgers are gonna get him. What a blow to the Flubs that would be. :D

I believe I just heard Jayson Stark say on XM-Radio that the White Sox offered Giles a contract before he re-upped with San Diego. Apparently, it was just a little more than what he got from San Diego. Can anyone confirm this?

Wow, that wouldn't make much sense unless VAfan was right! Maybe the Sox did want Giles in LF, Podsednik in CF, and Dye in RF. :o

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Wow, that wouldn't make much sense unless VAfan was right!  Maybe the Sox did want Giles in LF, Podsednik in CF, and Dye in RF.  :o

Exactly, that would be some crazy s***. Now, don't hold me to this but I am pretty sure that he said the White Sox offered him a contract a bit bigger than San Diego's. What I don't know is if this is pre/post PK.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Nope, I am SURE he said White Sox.

Well then, I know Kenny said at his conference call yesterday that they were in the midst of exploring other avenues in case Paul left, that would be the other avenue most likely.

Edited by Rowand44

Well then, I know Kenny said at his conference call yesterday that they were in the midst of exploring other avenues in case Paul left, that would be the other avenue most likely.

That's what I was thinking but Kenny seemed pretty confident that he would be able to re-sign Konerko.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
That's what I was thinking but Kenny seemed pretty confident that he would be able to re-sign Konerko.

He did, but he's smart enough to know you always need a backup plan, so he probably had a deal on the table for Giles just in case.

Yankees making a run at Pierre

The last time Juan Pierre played center field in Yankee Stadium, he helped the Marlins win the 2003 World Series.

Now, Pierre could be returning to The Bronx as the Yankees’ center-fielder. The cash-dumping Marlins have asked for lefty Sean Henn and right-handed reliever Scott Proctor for Pierre, and the Yankees didn’t reject the offer.

When the Marlins started dumping salary by trading Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Red Sox and Carlos Delgado to the Mets, the Yankees seemed cool on acquiring the

28-year-old Pierre.

However, with only Bubba Crosby to replace Bernie Williams, the Yankees have

been keeping tabs on who’s available.

Possibly what makes Pierre attractive is that it’s likely a one-year deal, since Pierre can become a free agent after the season and the 2007 class of free agent center-fielders

will include Andruw Jones, Torii Hunter and Mike Cameron. And there is always the possibility that Pierre performs well enough to be brought back.

Pierre is arbitration eligible after making $3.7 million last year.

According to several Sources, the Marlins also are shopping Pierre to Texas for pitching prospects and perhaps outfielder Laynce Nix, who annoyed Ranger brass by not playing winter ball after missing a good part of the season with an injury.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Here is something I found interesting on Ben Maller...One local report Thursday indicated the ChiSox might be willing to trade second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to the Marlins in exchange for Marlins counterpart Luis Castillo.

Posted December 2, by Ben Maller

It was a suntimes writer. It's bull.