Free agent resource.

qwerty

The Ryan contract could make it possible for the Jays to move him and his a massive contract either after the '06 season ($2M - Delgado style) or after the '07 season ($5M) with the Jays paying him a very small salary for the 2 years. Of course the $40M remaining on the 3 year deal would be giant for any team to pick up and the BJs would likely be hesitant to pick up any of the remaining $40M remaining on the contract which would make it even more difficult to move him.

In the end, this contract is a f***ing joke.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Billy Wagner will sign with the Mets for $43 million over four years.

He'll receive $10 million per year and a $10 million option for 2010 with a $3 million buyout. The report doesn't say, but we assume he'll also receive a no-trade clause. Nov. 28 - 4:21 pm et

:o

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Tor...328885-sun.html

And now Ricciardi is looking for another high-ranking officer/free-agent, making a five-year, $55-million offer to outfielder Brian Giles. The 34-year-old left-handed hitter batted .301 this season with 15 homers and 83 RBIs in 158 games for the San Diego Padres.

Ridiculous.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
What will Giles be, 39 years old by the time that contract is up?  :headshake

Yep.

And Thome will be 38 or 39 when his contract is up. He has a vesting that could kick in to give him a fourth year, which would mean he'd be under contract for his age 39 season. I don't know how much of that year the Sox would have to pay, but it's conceivable they will be on the hook for 8 million year for the next 4 years to Thome. It's not that different from what the Jays are offering Giles (plus Giles hasn't really had injury problems yet, I think). I don't think the Jays offer is that ridiculous.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Yep.

And Thome will be 38 or 39 when his contract is up. He has a vesting that could kick in to give him a fourth year, which would mean he'd be under contract for his age 39 season. I don't know how much of that year the Sox would have to pay, but it's conceivable they will be on the hook for 8 million year for the next 4 years to Thome. It's not that different from what the Jays are offering Giles (plus Giles hasn't really had injury problems yet, I think). I don't think the Jays offer is that ridiculous.

Well, 3 million a year, 12 million over 4 is somewhat significantly different. Also, Giles and Thome's career numbers skew heavy to Thome

Yep.

The most money the Sox will have to pay Thome, if his 2009 option vests, is $37 million over 4 years. That's quite a bit better than paying Giles $55 million over 5 years. Keep in mind that a healthy Thome (.970 career OPS & 430 career HR's) is more productive than Giles (.954 career OPS & 246 career HR's). There is more of a health risk involved with Thome than Giles but it's a risk worth taking. Thome has only had one significant injury-plagued season, last year.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:46 AM)
A ton of money flying around and just think the Yanks haven't really done anything.....

I think the Yankees are quite literally looking to save a little bit of money up this year...they're dropping a couple of big contracts in Williams and Kevin Brown, and they've got a couple young guys they've plugged into their lineup with Cano and Wang.

They have a hole in CF still to fill...but other than that, I think they're saving their cash for 06 when the Lee's become FA, and there's a much better FA Crop.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs offered Corey Patterson to the Dodgers for Milton Bradley and L.A. is looking at him.

Ouch, Milton Bradley with Dusty Baker as his manager? Bradley is a wild man, and Dusty lets his players do what they want then stick up for them in the media, that could be very interesting.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Ouch, Milton Bradley with Dusty Baker as his manager?  Bradley is a wild man, and Dusty lets his players do what they want then stick up for them in the media, that could be very interesting.

Words. Out of. Mouth.

That could provide a summer's worth of entertainment in and of itself.

...also would be a pretty good Dodgers trade to boot. Patterson may epitomize the "change of scenary" type and could blow up in a place like LA.

Rooting for this one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Furcal has narrowed his choices to the Cubs, Dodgers, and Braves, and will likely make a decision before the winter meetings start next week.

my personal feeling is he ends up with the Cubs, with a "holy s***" contract, meaning he was willing to give the Braves a discount, but the Cubs basically make him an offer that he just couldn't turn down.... Numbers floating around were something like 5/50, I see cubs giving him either like 5/60 or a player option for a 6th year.

Quick question to some of you who are more familiar with contracts. Does the union let players put clauses in regarding things like drugs/DUI? I imagine any team would have to put in something about this for Furcal, if he gets another DUI he's going to go to jail

Edited by SoxFan562004

Words. Out of. Mouth.

That could provide a summer's worth of entertainment in and of itself.

...also would be a pretty good Dodgers trade to boot.  Patterson may epitomize the "change of scenary" type and could blow up in a place like LA.

Rooting for this one.

Bradley has 100 times the talent and ability that Patterson has. He's just a complete psycho. If he could control his temper and clubhouse problems, give me Bradley over Patterson any day of the week. But he likely won't.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Red Sox: Boras reiterated to the Boston Herald that Damon is worthy of a seven-year contract, calling him baseball's new iron man and mentioning him in the same sentence as Cal Ripken. It is doubtful the Red Sox will go to seven years on Damon. In fact, four years might be the limit of what the Red Sox will offer. No team has come forth yet, at least publicly, with a seven-year offer for Damon.

Ummm, wow. Boras has been declared legally insane, no?

Scott Boras = Drew Rosenhaus

I can see it know with the Joe Crede negotiations:

"Are you kidding, Kenny? Joe is the best thing since Frank Robinson, hell, he's better defensively than Brooks Robinson! Back troubles, smack troubles, just give him an 8-year, $80 million dollars base with incentives, and we'll call it a day, what do you say?"

Uh................on second thought........Josh Fields anyone??? :bang

While the Angels played host to Konerko on Tuesday, the Cleveland Indians were busy recruiting free-agent pitcher Paul Byrd, who spent much of the day touring Jacobs Field and meeting with Indian General Manager Mark Shapiro and Manager Eric Wedge.

Brian Giles - OF - Padres

The Padres will announce the signing of Brian Giles to a three-year, $30 million contract tomorrow. Included in the deal is an option that could make it worth $36 million over four years.

Giles will make $9 million each of the next three years. The club option for 2009 is also worth $9 million and includes a $3 million buyout. Nov. 30 - 10:56 pm et

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Kyle Farnsworth - R - Braves

The Yankees could have a deal finalized with Kyle Farnsworth as soon as Thursday, Newsday reports.

$17 million over three years remains the popular figure. The Yankees are also negotiating with Tom Gordon, but, according to Newsday, team officials yesterday were resigned to the fact that Farnsworth's contract will only help Gordon's market value, most likely eliminating them from contention. Nov. 30 - 11:00 pm et

Source: Newsday