Manny wants a trade again....to the ChiSOx

wilmot825

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Thanks CWSGuy....our ball park would make Manny a 50+ HR guy every single year. No doubt in my mind. We replace Paulie and not miss a beat en route to 2nd World Series. Manny in RF, Dye at 1B, Frank at DH, ANderson as bench OF. If Frank runs into injuries again, put Manny as DH and Anderson at RF. Simple....

Oh HELL no!

Manny in RF?

He can't even handle left.

He'd be a DH only on this team and that wouldn't leave much playing time for Thomas.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Correct because you want to protect Manny with Konerko, and not Konerko with Manny. Plus, when possible, its nicer to have the faster of the two hitters hit 3rd. Not that there is any speed to be had with Manny and Paulie! Wouldn't you pay a dollar for a ppv footrace?

Why would you want to protect the better hitter with the worse hitter (not saying Konerko's a bad hitter, but anyone would have to admit Manny is a better hitter)?

Don't you think having Manny Ramirez looming on deck would make Konerko a much better hitter? I do. I don't however think that having Konerko on deck would make Manny a better hitter. This is my logic for putting Konerko in the 3 hole. It maximizes the potential of the lineup IMO.

BTW, posting on Soxtalk is an EXCELLENT way to sober up before going to bed. I HIGHLY recomment it.

Oh and in regards to trading for Manny, I think that the Rowand, Marte, Duque deal (or prospects) could conceivably work. Consider what we did with the Lee trade. We took that extra money saved and reinvested it in other key players. If we got Manny I don't think the BoSox would throw alot of money our way, so they'd be saving something approaching $10 mil by trading Manny. Say they turn that into a Matsui or Giles or maybe BJ Ryan, to shore up their closer issues, signing and now they're on to something. Certainly Rowand+Marte+Duque do not = Manny. But perhaps, Rowand+Marte+Duque+Matsui/Giles do = Manny. Just a drunken thought anyway...

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Don't you think having Manny Ramirez looming on deck would make Konerko a much better hitter? I do. I don't however think that having Konerko on deck would make Manny a better hitter. This is my logic for putting Konerko in the 3 hole. It maximizes the potential of the lineup IMO.

It probably would help a little, but I think the whole point of having your best hitter in the 3 hole is to drive in runs and continue the inning. If Pods and/or Gooch can get on base, Manny has a better chance of driving them in than Konerko. If they do not get on base, Manny still has a better chance to get on base thus extending the inning to Konerko.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Kidding aside, Ozzie could shape up Manny IMHO (Latino factor). We did take chances on AJP and Carl and see how that turned out. If Paulie leaves, and we decide to re-sign Frank, if we can trade for Manny ONLY for prospects and maybe Marte, I would book hotel reservations for the 2nd World Series appearance right now

Of course, I would make Bo SOx eat at least half of his remaining ridiculous contract too.

Ozzie couldn't "shape up" Carlos Lee, Maggs and Olivo. What makes you think Ozzie could shape up a prima donna like Manny?

Bringing Manny in would go against what the sox did this yr. No matter how good Manny is, by all accounts, he's not the unselfish team player the sox would need.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Because we won and are in the consciousness, we will be mentioned in SO many deals that we have nothing to do with.

good point. but it's still fun to give approvals and disapprovals to every rumor, isn't it?

if we trade for manny ramirez, that would sink our team. he's the laziest outfeilder in the game, and in my humble opinion, a BUM.

i would take this one with a grain of salt. KW and JR would have to suddenly develop down syndrome to even think about this one for more than one second.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
Ozzie couldn't "shape up" Carlos Lee, Maggs and Olivo. What makes you think Ozzie could shape up a prima donna like Manny?

Bringing Manny in would go against what the sox did this yr. No matter how good Manny is, by all accounts, he's not the unselfish team player the sox would need.

:notworthy

Angels GM Bill Stoneman had little to say about Manny Ramirez's reported trade request or his preferance to play in Anaheim.

"It has nothing to do with us," Stoneman said of Ramirez's trade request. "He's under contract with the Boston Red Sox. That's where it lies." The Angels would probably prefer Paul Konerko to Ramirez, as he'll come cheaper, has less baggage and it won't require that the team give up any talent to acquire him. If Konerko opts to stay with the White Sox or chooses another team, then perhaps the Ramirez rumors will heat up. Oct. 30 - 12:53 pm et

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)

Beck -- if the White Sox' offense of two/three years ago had the pitching staff of this year, we might have won 105 games.

The reason we didn't win in past years isn't because the 'chemistry' was bad. It's because the pitching, for the most part, sucked.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Beck -- if the White Sox' offense of two/three years ago had the pitching staff of this year, we might have won 105 games. 

The reason we didn't win in past years isn't because the 'chemistry' was bad.  It's because the pitching, for the most part, sucked.

Completely disagree considering the facts that Juan takes over for Jose playing ss and AJ calling pitches behind the plate, if you switch the two offenses from years past and this one we're much worse imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
Completely disagree considering the facts that Juan takes over for Jose playing ss and AJ calling pitches behind the plate, if you switch the two offenses from years past and this one we're much worse imo.

I'm not taking defense or anything else into consideration. I'm just saying you take the 2004 offense -- the offense that scored 865 runs -- and switch that with the 2005 offense -- 741 runs scored -- you win more games.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Mark my words...Boston will not get much for Manny.  Most inside of baseball know Boston wants him gone and they are going to move him this off-season.  90% sure of that and Boston wants to move his entire contract (without eating much of it) and with that being the case they best thing they can hope for is 1 good prospect and a couple filler type prospects. 

Thats at least whats being talked about and rumored out here (Angels are pretty interested).

I'm not sure how much you've followed the Manny situation in Boston, but based on your comments, not long. In todays New York Times, it was suggested that a possible Cameron, Milledge, and Heilman deal would be re-offered.

Statistically, Milledge is better than Anderson, Sweeney, and Young and Cameron is better than Rowand. I think a deal like this better suits the Red Sox needs than the deal that Cheat proposed.

Oh boyy! Time to bring out the wallet, a Ramirez Jersey would look so nice in black and white!

A year ago I woulda said this is a dream come true if we get a player like manny, but now, it makes it hard for me to sleep at nite with rumors like this.

I dont want him NEAR the team, his big ego and style of baseball is terrible for the team.

However - AJP was said to be bad, look what hes done..

then again, ajp is not going to get himself 40 homers 130 rbi's, manny is selfish IMO, and is terrible for the team.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I'm not sure how much you've followed the Manny situation in Boston, but based on your comments, not long.  In todays New York Times, it was suggested that a possible Cameron, Milledge, and Heilman deal would be re-offered.

Statistically, Milledge is better than Anderson, Sweeney, and Young and Cameron is better than Rowand.  I think a deal like this better suits the Red Sox needs than the deal that Cheat proposed.

I talked to a fan earlier and he was surprisingly happy with that Marte/Duque/Rowand proposition that, I think, Cheat brought up earlier. He even said that he figured the Red Sox would also throw in money in that situation.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
I'm not sure how much you've followed the Manny situation in Boston, but based on your comments, not long.  In todays New York Times, it was suggested that a possible Cameron, Milledge, and Heilman deal would be re-offered.

Statistically, Milledge is better than Anderson, Sweeney, and Young and Cameron is better than Rowand.  I think a deal like this better suits the Red Sox needs than the deal that Cheat proposed.

That's assuming Manny is willing to accept a trade to the Mets. If the 3 teams reported, Indians, Angels, and White Sox, are correct, I doubt the Red Sox get a package like the Mets one.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
I talked to a fan earlier and he was surprisingly happy with that Marte/Duque/Rowand proposition that, I think, Cheat brought up earlier.  He even said that he figured the Red Sox would also throw in money in that situation.

Hernandez has little to no value, and would really only be a throw in for salary concerns on the White Sox side. Trading Manny for an extremely wild and inconsistent lefty, and an average centerfielder at best when the Mets offer that is on the table is twice as good makes absolutely no sense.

Cameron is arguably the best defensive centerfielder in the game and an on-base percentage guy, and Milledge has a darn good future in store for him.

Rowand, Marte, and Hernandez won't get it done, not when Omar Minaya is willing to give up an arm and a leg for him.

If Manny would only dh, what about bringing in Thome who the Phillies would give away for nothing and pay two-thirds of his contract..

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I think Pedro would convince him.

Sportscenter was talking about this midseason, and said Manny doesn't want to play for the Mets, even with Pedro. Now this is Manny we are talking about so he could change his mind in a day, but still...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Hernandez has little to no value, and would really only be a throw in for salary concerns on the White Sox side.  Trading Manny for an extremely wild and inconsistent lefty, and an average centerfielder at best when the Mets offer that is on the table is twice as good makes absolutely no sense.

Cameron is arguably the best defensive centerfielder in the game and an on-base percentage guy, and Milledge has a darn good future in store for him.

Rowand, Marte, and Hernandez won't get it done, not when Omar Minaya is willing to give up an arm and a leg for him.

If Manny would only dh, what about bringing in Thome who the Phillies would give away for nothing and pay two-thirds of his contract..

I'm just throwing out there what this guy said, and he seems like he usually knows what he's talking about when it comes to the Red Sox. His knowledge outside of Boston is pretty thin, though, so that may be the reason he likes the package. I could only hope that Epstein thought like this guy.