Couch says: Sign Frank for $3M

JUGGERNAUT

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg021.html

It's not just the 12HR in 34AB. When Thomas was in the lineup the entire offense looked much better.

May. 30 LAA W 5-4

Jun. 1 LAA L 10-7

Jun. 4 CLE W 6-5

Jun. 5 CLE L 6-4

Jun. 7 @COL W 2-1

Jun. 8 @COL W 15-5

Jun. 12 @SD W 8-5

Jun. 13 ARI L 8-1

Jun. 15 ARI W 12-6

Jun. 17 LAD W 6-0

Jun. 18 LAD W 5-3

Jun. 19 LAD W 4-3

Jun. 20 KC W 11-8

Jun. 21 KC W 5-1

Jun. 22 KC W 5-1

Jun. 24 CHC W 12-2

Jun. 26 CHC L 2-0

Jun. 28 @DET W 2-1

Jun. 29 @DET W 4-3

Jun. 30 @DET W 6-1

Jul. 2 @OAK W 5-3

Jul. 3 @OAK L 7-2

Jul. 4 TB W 10-8

Jul. 5 TB W 6-4

Jul. 6 TB W 7-2

Jul. 8 OAK L 4-2

Jul. 9 OAK L 10-1

Jul. 10 OAK L 9-8

Jul. 14 @CLE W 1-0

Jul. 15 @CLE W 7-1

Jul. 17 @CLE W 4-0

Jul. 18 DET W 7-5

Jul. 19 DET L 7-1

Jul. 20 DET L 8-6

TOTALS: 226-104

SEASON TOTALS: 741-645

Though it accounted for just 21% of the season (34 gms) it accounted for 31% of the teams runs. A healthy Thomas all season long pushes the run total to 900. That's a risk worth taking for $3M.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
I would have to think that would be the plan. Im not sure how happy that is going to make Frank, being placed on the back burner, but o well.

#1: Kong

#2:Trade Partner

#3:Frank

#1 Kong

#2 Trade Partner (Tracey)

#3 Another Trade Partner (Overbay)

#4 Minor League Prospects

#5 Another Trade Partner (Ryan Howard)

#6 Carl Everett for cheap

#7 Sammy Sosa

#8 Gload at DH

#9 Rogowski

#10 Big Frank

lol

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
i love frank too much to hang him out like that though. anyone else and i would agree with you.

I agree...sign Frank...he needs to stay with us...his money really shouldn't affect other moves...I would hope.

Anyone know if there is a deadline in the contract? Once Frank is free to negotiate, it would get very ugly if the team left him dangling. I would hate to see the greatest hitter in Sox history taking another deal and being able to say the team never made an offer.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Anyone know if there is a deadline in the contract? Once Frank is free to negotiate, it would get very ugly if the team left him dangling. I would hate to see the greatest hitter in Sox history taking another deal and being able to say the team never made an offer.

Deadline in what contract..? If they don't agree to the $10 million in 3 days he's free.

Don't Frank, Carl and Konerko need to be signed before something like December 10th or they can not resign until May 1st. I know arbitration (neither Frank or Carl will be offered this, Konerko will) plays a role in this as well but I think Frank's situation would have to be settled well before Paul's would have to be.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
Don't Frank, Carl and Konerko need to be signed before something like December 10th or they can not resign until May 1st.  I know arbitration (neither Frank or Carl will be offered this, Konerko will) plays a role in this as well but I think Frank's situation would have to be settled well before Paul's would have to be.

I'm inclined to believe that Carl is gone. Till July, at least.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Don't Frank, Carl and Konerko need to be signed before something like December 10th or they can not resign until May 1st.  I know arbitration (neither Frank or Carl will be offered this, Konerko will) plays a role in this as well but I think Frank's situation would have to be settled well before Paul's would have to be.

If I recall correctly, the team has the right to offer players arbitration until sometime in December. If they don't offer arbitration, then a FA cannot sign with that team until something like April. If they do offer arbitration, then they can continue to sign with that same team until some time in January.

I don't know how the rules work in option years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
if they are going to sign Frank to anything, it has got to be a low base, high incentive laden deal.  And that is if they can't find a younger #3 hitter to join the team after resigning Konerko.

If we dont resign Paulie we need another 1st baseman, a younger one, preferabily a lefty. If Frank DH's and we replace Paulie with Chad Tracy, Shea Hillenbrand, or Lyle Overbay Id be pretty happy. I dont want to become the Yanks here with a bunch of aging hitter that did great things for us in the past. If we dont resign either I still want at least one of the above mentioned players, but to fill two starting positions in the offseason kinda sucks. I dont want our lineup to be Frank and Paulie less and replaced with Andersen/other call up. I think we are trying to build on championship here, we need some young established players as well, I mean like an Aubry Huff or Overbay, not Andersen/Borchard.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
If we dont resign Paulie we need another 1st baseman, a younger one, preferabily a lefty.  If Frank DH's and we replace Paulie with Chad Tracy, Shea Hillenbrand, or Lyle Overbay Id be pretty happy.  I dont want to become the Yanks here with a bunch of aging hitter that did great things for us in the past.  If we dont resign either I still want at least one of the above mentioned players, but to fill two starting positions in the offseason kinda sucks.  I dont want our lineup to be Frank and Paulie less and replaced with Andersen/other call up.  I think we are trying to build on championship here, we need some young established players as well, I mean like an Aubry Huff or Overbay, not Andersen/Borchard.

If we don't resign Paulie, I'll be advocating a trade for Ryan Howard.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
If we don't resign Paulie, I'll be advocating a trade for Ryan Howard.

While that would be wonderful...I worry the price for a guy who is soon to have an ROY trophy to prove that he can hit ML Pitching may just now be too high.

I wouldn't have minded if we took a look at him before last year, and put a real good offer on the table for the Phils to see if they'd bite given that they had a logjam with a seemingly healthy Thome then, but now I think his price has gone up even more.

You have to figure that the price for Howard is Brandon McCarthy. I don't feel great about that deal but its possibly not a bad move. There would still be El Dque insurance issues then. One last thing, while Howard's rep was that he was a stiff at first in the minors, people were pleasantly surprised with his D at first over the end of the summer

I don't see the Phillies trading Howard, but I could see them trading Thome. And after the beat downs he put on the Sox for years, I could see the Sox being interested in him if there were some money put up by the Phils. With a new GM, they are going to be interested in makes some moves and putting a new stamp on that team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
I don't see the Phillies trading Howard, but I could see them trading Thome.  And after the beat downs he put on the Sox for years, I could see the Sox being interested in him if there were some money put up by the Phils.  With a new GM, they are going to be interested in makes some moves and putting a new stamp on that team.

Plus, who doesn't enjoy completing a collection?