Couch says: Sign Frank for $3M

JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Frank Thomas has had 1 injury the past 2 years.  Just 1.  The same foot that he was rehabbing last year was still bothering him when he came back, and it's now the same one that he's rehabbing again.

While that's not a pleasant thought; consider this.  It's 1 singular injury to heal.  Just 1 injury.  It's not like he's got a broken ankle, 7 torn ligaments in his knees, and a bad back.  It's 1 specific spot that's currently giving him trouble.

Even more so, think for a second about how the injury originally happened; fielding a ground ball by Juan Pierre.  In other words...he was playing 1b, not just serving as a DH.  If he did come back, this situation would almost never happen, unless we hit inning 14 of a world series game in a national league park and we needed to pinch run for Konerko.

If he can be back, don't underestimate him.  And also, don't overestimate this injury.  Yeah it's been bad, but it's still just 1 injury.

I totally disagree with you.

It may be one injury, but it's going to be a Grant Hill type injury. One that will never go away and will plague him for the rest of the career.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)

It may be one injury, but it's going to be a Grant Hill type injury.  One that will never go away and will plague him for the rest of the career.

Word.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)

It may be one injury, but it's going to be a Grant Hill type injury.  One that will never go away and will plague him for the rest of the career.

Well playing basketball and being a DH in baseball is a lot different though. As a DH Frank isnt doing much and he hurt his anke playing 1B against the marlins or something right...... So as long as he is strictly only the DH I think we can get 1-2 more good seasons out of him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)

Remember how Griffey was injury plauged?

And are you talking about the same Grant Hill that had a great year last year?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
And what are our options those other 3 to 4 hundred at bat's at dh?

Well I'm not saying make him full time DH. Get a 3 hitter, get a 4 hitter (PK), resign Frank.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
I'll pass.  This team doesn't need Frank Thomas starting at DH.  That is not an upgrade and it is known the Sox need to upgrade the DH position (Everett was > than Thomas and Carl was one of the worse DH's in the AL).  If I were told Frank would be healthy, sure, but thats not the case and they need to find themselves a full time, very good DH, and that persons name is not Frank Thomas.

Uhh -- the offense was much better when Frank was in the lineup then when he was without it. IIRC, something like a run better.

When healthy, Frank Thomas is still one helluva hitter. Of course -- "when healthy" is the pretty important statement.

If they can find a good replacement for DH, then I'm fine with it. If not, bring back Thomas on an incentive laden deal, and go from there.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Remember how Griffey was injury plauged?

And are you talking about the same Grant Hill that had a great year last year?

Griffey is still injury plagued. He finally had one good year. The last thing I do is sign players that are injury prone. The only reason I was interested in Dye was because of his value and the fact that he was coming off an entirely healthy season and his injury was a total fluke in the 1st place (he also wasn't 38 years old).

Griffey finally played 3/4ths of a season and I still wouldn't deal for him this offseason unless the Sox didn't have to give up anything but a prospect or two and even then I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Just look at the Dodgers. They were stupid enough to give injury prone guys big contracts and look where it got them.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
And what are our options those other 3 to 4 hundred at bat's at dh?

Brian Anderson. Put him in the Carl Everett role from this year - spelling Frank every 2nd day, and spelling an outfielder every 3rd day. He'll pick up somehting like 400 at bats, plus or minus 100, improve our bench, improve our outfield defense, and improve our team speed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Brian Anderson.  Put him in the Carl Everett role from this year - spelling Frank every 2nd day, and spelling an outfielder every 3rd day.  He'll pick up somehting like 400 at bats, plus or minus 100, improve our bench, improve our outfield defense, and improve our team speed.

That's way to much jerking around of a young player. Anderson is either going to be starting in chicago in cf or some other major league team imo. The Frank situation is interesting and really hard for me to come to a strict conclusion. If he's brought back we need to have a backup plan to be ready to step in if and when Frank goes down again. I mean it was just in 04 that Frank was hitting the ball pretty damn well before going down. On the other hand, there's a good chance he's going to get injured again so it's really not a smart move to bring him back. I guess if I'm kenny I try to get a younger number 3 hitter that can dh, if not then bring back Frank only if there is a good backup in place. Tough decision here for Kenny.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Brian Anderson.  Put him in the Carl Everett role from this year - spelling Frank every 2nd day, and spelling an outfielder every 3rd day.  He'll pick up somehting like 400 at bats, plus or minus 100, improve our bench, improve our outfield defense, and improve our team speed.

Well, if Frank only got 200 at bat's, that probably means he suffered another season ending injury. I'd piss my pants if Brian Anderson became our full time dh.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
Is there something wrong with having Gload as a DH next year if Frank goes down?  I mean, he's no where near the production of Frank, but he's much more than Brian Anderson.

Anderson > Gload IMO

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
I'd rather have Anderson than Gload. If there is a dropoff in production from Gload to Anderson-and that is not a complete given-then its probably worth it for Andersons long term development. Plus, you can fill a DH spot later if you want to via trade

That's another thing worth noting...there's almost always an adequate player available on the trade market in the early/middle part of the season if you really want to make the deal. Think about the Cardinals getting Larry Walker 2 years ago, or the constant trade rumors around Mike Sweeney.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I'd rather have Anderson than Gload. If there is a dropoff in production from Gload to Anderson-and that is not a complete given-then its probably worth it for Andersons long term development. Plus, you can fill a DH spot later if you want to via trade

Why would there be a dropoff in production from Gload to Anderson. Did I miss something? Was Anderson the one who put up the 115 OPS+ in 2004, in a decent-to-good amount of ABs?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Why would there be a dropoff in production from Gload to Anderson.  Did I miss something?  Was Anderson the one who put up the 115 OPS+ in 2004, in a decent-to-good amount of ABs?

Well I don't think there would be but people worry about that because he's a rook.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Well I don't think there would be but people worry about that because he's a rook.

I actually wouldn't mind a platoon of the two. I think it's a good way to ease Anderson into the big leagues, while keeping good production at the same time.

Of course, I know some dislike the idea of Anderson not being a full-time starter, but I can see it's advantages...