Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Making this the official Konerko thread, so that we don't have to see a new thread about him everyday.

The funny thing is, this will actually create more Konerko threads at first because people generally seem to ignore pinned topics.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Boston don't worry me with Paulie. Sure they're probably gonna offer a big deal, but Paulie has said before, he doesn't want to live in Boston and the East Coast.

Hideki Matsui said he didn't want to sign with the Yankees*

How'd that work out?

*atleast I seem to remember him saying this...maybe I'm just crazy

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Don't forget the Mets launched a tv network. That will bring in cash. I think they land Billy Wagner unless he decides he doesn't want to pitch in NY ( I kinda doubt that). Their plan B will likely be BJ Ryan although I think they get Billy. I think they won't make too many other moves outside of the pen.  With Piazza gone, they obviously will do something about first base. I imagine they will be rebuffed in pursuits of Howard/Thome adn Delgado. Thus, they are the team that I think will make a big push for Paulie (and people aren't mentioning hte Mets enough as far as their chances to get him). Then again, and I'm actually kinda serious, he's not Latin and thats been the direction Omar has gone in since he came aboard.

I don't think the Mets go after Konerko. They had that kid Mike Jacobs come up and produce late in the season last year. He put up some ridiculous numbers for a rookie... in 30 games he had 11 homers and batted over .300. With him and David Wright at the hot corners and Diaz and Reyes, the Mets should finally have a load of young, cheap productive players. They're trying to get rid of Matsui if they should be able to land Furcal to play 2nd. I think they have more pressing needs than a first basemen. They'll probably go after Ramon Hernandez hard as well as an elite closer like Wagner. They could use a bunch of new arms in their BP actually. They seem to be willing to spend and could be very dangerous next year if they spend wisely.

Interesting thread. It seems to be taken for granted that we can't/won't resigm Konerko. Either we will be outbid or we would be stupid to sign him to a longterm deal. So, that leaves us with the following options, which have been mentioned...

1. Brian Giles. Sign this 35 year old to a 3 tear deal. Same guy who had us on his no trade list when at Pittsburg. Also, his numbers have taken a nose dive. Park, Age or Roids? Who knows.

2. Jim Thome. He of the bad back and steep contract. We'd be lucky to have him be able to stay healthy as a DH. The odds are even longer that he'd be a healthy 1B. Oh yeah, we want to give up El Duque, Marte and Anderson to get him.

3. Carlos Delgado. Another one that has refused a trade to the Sox. He also has a formidable contract. Also, wqe'd have to trade for him as well.

4. Chad Tracy-Conner Jackson. A couple of kids with good bats and poor gloves. Acquiring these guys gets away from our success formula of pitching and defense.

But, give 29 year old Paul Konerko and 6 year deal is dumb. This guy is leader in the Sox clubhouse, regardless of how overrated some people think that may be. Hell, the players were calling him King Paulie because they knew who was carrying the team offensively.

Sorry folks. I think Konerko is by far our best option.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Interesting thread.  It seems to be taken for granted that we can't/won't resigm Konerko. Either we will be outbid or we would be stupid to sign him to a longterm deal.  So, that leaves us with the following options, which have been mentioned...

1. Brian Giles.  Sign this 35 year old to a 3 tear deal.  Same guy who had us on his no trade list when at Pittsburg.  Also, his numbers have taken a nose dive.  Park, Age or Roids?  Who knows.

2.  Jim Thome.  He of the bad back and steep contract.  We'd be lucky to have him be able to stay healthy as a DH.  The odds are even longer that he'd be a healthy 1B.  Oh yeah, we want to give up El Duque, Marte and Anderson to get him. 

3.  Carlos Delgado.  Another one that has refused a trade to the Sox.  He also has a formidable contract.  Also, wqe'd have to trade for him as well.

4.  Chad Tracy-Conner Jackson.  A couple of kids with good bats and poor gloves.  Acquiring these guys gets away from our success formula of pitching and defense. 

But, give 29 year old Paul Konerko and 6 year deal is dumb.  This guy is leader in the Sox clubhouse, regardless of how overrated some people think that may be.  Hell, the players were calling him King Paulie because they knew who was carrying the team offensively. 

Sorry folks.  I think Konerko is by far our best option.

1 - Giles numbers have fallen? Power wise yes, but you can thank PETCO Park for that, which is hell for a LH power hitter. Can't argue with a .333/.463/.545 stat line for away games. I read tonight SD have only offered him $21M over 3 years. If I'm a Padre fan after what they did with the Castilla trade today, I'm really pissed off at the Alderson/Towers V.P/GM combo right now.

2 - Acquiring Thome depends on how much Philly's willing to pay. We don't know what they'd demand for Thome compared to Howard, although I've read numerous times, they want good young starting pitching.

3 - He's been mentioned, but I can't see them moving him. Juan Pierre's more likely to be dealt if anybody from that team.

4 - Tracy or Jackson could easily be our DH's for the next 10 years. Tracy's not the best fielder in the world, but he can play 4 different positions, which gives you versatility, and he'd probably only get better in the field in the future. And I think you could get one of those two, by dealing prospects, namely a package starting with Dan Haigwood (an Arizona native) and Gio Gonzalez.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
1 - Giles numbers have fallen? Power wise yes, but you can thank PETCO Park for that, which is hell for a LH power hitter. Can't argue with a .333/.463/.545 stat line for away games. I read tonight SD have only offered him $21M over 3 years. If I'm a Padre fan after what they did with the Castilla trade today, I'm really pissed off at the Alderson/Towers V.P/GM combo right now.

2 - Acquiring Thome depends on how much Philly's willing to pay. We don't know what they'd demand for Thome compared to Howard, although I've read numerous times, they want good young starting pitching.

3 - He's been mentioned, but I can't see them moving him. Juan Pierre's more likely to be dealt if anybody from that team.

4 - Tracy or Jackson could easily be our DH's for the next 10 years. Tracy's not the best fielder in the world, but he can play 4 different positions, which gives you versatility, and he'd probably only get better in the field in the future. And I think you could get one of those two, by dealing prospects, namely a package starting with Dan Haigwood (an Arizona native) and Gio Gonzalez.

I addressed Petco in my post about Giles .... here:

Park, Age or Roids?  Who knows.

As for the rest, I still think PK is the best option.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I addressed Petco in my post about Giles .... here:

As for the rest, I still think PK is the best option.

I don't disagree that re-signing PK is the best option, keep what you have, stick with the winning formula. But if that doesn't happen, we've GOT to have a contigency plan in place, because there's no way in my mind we'll make the playoffs next season without bringing in a quality replacement for the DH/1B spot.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I don't disagree that re-signing PK is the best option, keep what you have, stick with the winning formula. But if that doesn't happen, we've GOT to have a contigency plan in place, because there's no way in my mind we'll make the playoffs next season without bringing in a quality replacement for the DH/1B spot.

Knowing KW, you know he has a contigency plan......or is at least weighing different possibilites

and in honor of PK I am going to switch my sig back to my old one....

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
ESPN1000 just reported that the Sox are preparing a 4 year $50 million deal for Konerko.

$12.5M per sounds good from the Sox point of view, not so much for Paul. Also, it doesn't appear 4 years will be enough.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
ESPN1000 just reported that the Sox are preparing a 4 year $50 million deal for Konerko.

Some team will give him longer than a 4 year deal. I like the deal though, and don't think they should go higher.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
$12.5M per sounds good from the Sox point of view, not so much for Paul. Also, it doesn't appear 4 years will be enough.

Do you think this is as high and as long as the Sox will go? I hope not. Based on what Anaheim offers, I think we should give him five years at $65 million. If he doesn't like that, we don't need him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Some team will give him longer than a 4 year deal.  I like the deal though, and don't think they should go higher.

It certainly seems like a good place for KW to start off negotiations from. It's the exact type of deal I would be extremely happy will signing Konerko too. But in all likely hood it will not be enough.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Do you think this is as high and as long as the Sox will go?  I hope not.  Based on what Anaheim offers, I think we should give him five years at $65 million.  If he doesn't like that, we don't need him.

I dont' want to offer Konerko anymore than a 4 year deal with a mutual option for the 5th year and a team option for the 6th year, both years with buyouts. Anymore than 4 years for Konerko is much too high, also I wouldn't give him anymore than $13M per.

if he really wants to stay here... then he would say, look.. im happy with 4 years at 50 mil... but put a garrentueed 5th year and make it 60... put in a no trade clause... and im in

i dont think he really wants to stay here that bad thou.

hopefully im wrong.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)

I think that is a very fair deal to start with. It's basically what we were all saying we should try to sign him for before the postseason started.

Put that deal on the table as a starting point, and then try to see what other people offer. Other teams may or may not want to offer a 29 year old guy a 5 year deal...and a lot will depend on what ends up happening with Ramirez, Finley, Glaus, and all those other guys who's salaries teams want do dump.

If all it takes is adding another year on at that price...I'm totally ok with that too.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
I'm gauranteeing that Konerko does not recieve a no trade clause from the Sox. We just don't do that sort of thing.

Out of the teams who've whispered his name, the only one I can imagine offering him one would be the Mets. Red Sox - not a chance. Angels - doubtful.

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
PK wants to stay here.He never said he doesn't want to be here.

Just because he never said that he didn't want to be here doesn't mean that he wants to stay in Chicago, if someone offers more years + a bit more cash he'll sign with them. It's as simple as that.