Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
Since you are out in Cali... just wondering what you have heard about Konerko?

I would believe that if Anaheim was serious about Paulie, that they would be trying to get him to come visit this week.  I think the next two days will tell us where Paul Konerko will be playing the rest of his career.

Balta and I were each talking and neither of us have heard a thing. Its eerily quiet, which is why I can't figure out why so many people in the Chicago Media are acting like Konerko is signing with the Angels.

From what I know they haven't even brought him in for a visit. I don't think Paulie has gotten an offer even close to what he's been looking for. At this point, 4/52 with an option for a 5th year may be enough (although once a team makes a formal offer, you may see somethings heat up).

Than again, the free agent market has been relatively quiet for the most part. Not many teams have jumped out there yet and the few that have, have definately set a precedent for what will be an inflated market (for a lot of players).

That said 4/52 would be very fair for Paulie. I could even see 4/50.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
White Sox free-agent slugger Paul Konerko has spoken a couple of times by phone to his high school coach, Jerry Dawson, since the World Series ended.

"I know that he loves Chicago and he loves the people," Dawson said Monday from Scottsdale, Ariz. "All things being equal, or close to equal, I know that he would prefer to stay in Chicago."

Dawson said he has not specifically brought up the topic of Konerko's free-agent options—"I would never do that." But he knows "Paul will make a smart decision. He is not your normal athlete."

Konerko's former high school hitting coach, Mark Miller, and Dawson sat in the left-field bleachers at U.S. Cellular Field when Konerko blasted a grand slam against Houston in Game 2 of the World Series.

"We were about 30 feet away from where the ball landed. It was an awesome experience," Dawson said. "I got goose bumps when I heard the fans chanting Paul's name."

I keep hearing the Angels and a 5 year/ 65 million deal being mentioned together.

I read on 1bignasty.com(Joe McDonnell a radio personality)that Konerko was offered 5years/65million.sorry but i don't how to add link.

http://1bignasty.com/

Mod Edit (Chisoxfn): Edited in the link :)

http://1bignasty.com/jblog/2005/11/angels-...te11-28-05.html

Sunday, November 27, 2005

ANGELS-KONERKO UPDATE...11-28-05

According to a source close to the situation, the Angels have made Paul Konerko an offer of close to 65 million for five years, and he's expected to make a decision on the contract sometime this week. The Chicago White Sox free agent first baseman, who helped lead the team to the World Series title, is due in town today or Tuesday to meet with Angel officials and look around the area for possible housing. More details as they become available........

# posted by Joe McDonnell @ 10:31 PM

Looks kinda shady to me.

Here is some new info from whitesox.com

As for Williams' comments Friday about possible closure coming during the Winter Meetings in terms of talks with Konerko, Hahn clarified Monday that there is no set date for negotiations to come to a close. But the White Sox need a decision sooner than later in order to make the corresponding moves, if necessary.

"I think what Kenny said is that ideally we would like to have closure by the end of the Winter Meetings, but there is no firm deadline," Hahn said. "There is no magical bewitching hour in which we break off conversations.

"The desire was expressed to have some closure so that both parties know where Paul is next year. We can continue pursuit of a replacement in Dallas or is he part of the mix."

Looks like all the talk of a December 8th deadline is out the window.

Edited by JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)
One thing about the Angels...when they write deals with people, the deals they write seem like smart deals at the time, unlike some of the stuff we've seen lately.  Even the Finley deal, which blew up in their faces, looked good at the time it was written. 

It did?

Orlando Cabrera says hello.

I had a feeling early last week that Rowand was going to be off the Sox within 10 days. Now, I have a feeling that PK will be with another team within 10 days. Maybe it's just me, but with the Thome addition, I honestly think it might be best for the Sox if PK goes elsewhere, and that money is used to re-sign AJP and Garland, and add a few other free agents.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:15 AM)
I had a feeling early last week that Rowand was going to be off the Sox within 10 days.  Now, I have a feeling that PK will be with another team within 10 days.  Maybe it's just me, but with the Thome addition, I honestly think it might be best for the Sox if PK goes elsewhere, and that money is used to re-sign AJP and Garland, and add a few other free agents.

I disagree with that statement. Re-sign Pauly and figure out what to do from there. With all the money we made why can't we re-sign AJP and Jon G to extensions also? I want the whole enchelata!!! Rick Hahn said if we re-sign PK it is almost certain BA will be our CFer. According to CSN this will be Ozzie's lineup as of today (IF PK comes back):

Pods, Gooch, Dye, Thome, Pauly, AJP, Crede, Uribe, Anderson

Solid! However, we lose some speed in Rowand. Unless BA can steal some bases for us?? Whats BA's speed like? I know his defense is there.

We mustn't forget that Thome shares an agent with Konerko.  They both have Craig Landis.  I don't think he would allow one of his clients to take money from another client.  So, there is still a chance Paulie will sign because Landis made sure the Sox were still bidders before the Thome trade was done.

when an agent acts on a player's behalf, he isnt supposed to act with anyone else in mind, no matter who his clients are. its a conflict of interest. if anyone even caught an inkling of an agent behaving this way, you can bet your bottom dollar he will have no clients in about 2 seconds. so i disagree completely with you on this.

I am looking at it this way........."no news is good news!"  in regards to konerko. If his name isn't being mentioned then that is good. So far real quiet on the konerko front, there hasn;t been anything reallly mentioned about him since about a week after the world series. So hopefully this works out.

i tend to agree with you. if we had shameless panderers like gammons running around alleging things about kong then i might think something is adrift that is suspect. i would think that as long as we match, we are OK. so just wait for the halos to put something out there. kong should want to stay in chitown, where he is a god, not go across the country where he will have to earn respect all over again.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
I disagree with that statement. Re-sign Pauly and figure out what to do from there. With all the money we made why can't we re-sign AJP and Jon G to extensions also? I want the whole enchelata!!! Rick Hahn said if we re-sign PK it is almost certain BA will be our CFer. According to CSN this will be Ozzie's lineup as of today (IF PK comes back):

Pods, Gooch, Dye, Thome, Pauly, AJP, Crede, Uribe, Anderson

Solid! However, we lose some speed in Rowand. Unless BA can steal some bases for us?? Whats BA's speed like? I know his defense is there.

Comcast had no clue what they were talking about. That was Plesac's basically clueless projection of the lineup. You forgot to mention he had Pods in CF, and Anderson in LF.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...drawing_a_bead/

So far, there has been little predictable about the Sox' offseason activity. Speculation that they would be making a bid for White Sox free agent first baseman Paul Konerko apparently was unfounded; Konerko, according to one well-placed major league source, is sifting through offers from three teams: the White Sox, Orioles, and Angels.

The Orioles offered the most money, the source said, and all three offers are believed to be for five years. The Baltimore offer could approach $60 million. The White Sox, who last week acquired slugger Jim Thome from the Phillies, have asked Konerko for an answer before the start of the winter meetings.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...ack=1&cset=true

The Angels remain in the hunt for free-agent slugger Paul Konerko and are believed to have bumped their initial four-year offer to the Chicago White Sox first baseman to five years and about $60 million.

Konerko, who hit .283 with 40 home runs and 100 runs batted in, is expected to travel to Anaheim this week to meet with Angel officials, and he could make a decision before next week's winter meetings in Dallas.

The only other teams alive in the bidding for Konerko are the White Sox, who are reluctant to go a fifth year but, according to a team source, would do so if Konerko receives five-year proposals from other teams, and the Baltimore Orioles, who are willing to add a fifth year to their initial four-year, $50-million offer but are still long-shots to sign Konerko.

If Konerko leaves Chicago, he prefers to play on the West Coast and spend spring training near his Scottsdale, Ariz., home.

Konerko is also said to be very fond of Angel Manager Mike Scioscia and coaches Mickey Hatcher, Ron Roenicke and Alfredo Griffin, all of whom have ties to the Dodgers, the team that selected Konerko in the first round of the 1994 draft.

The Angels have also discussed a possible trade for Boston slugger Manny Ramirez, but that appears to be on the backburner while the Angels focus on Konerko.

A successful pursuit of Konerko would probably push first baseman Darin Erstad back to center field and block the path of promising first baseman Casey Kotchman.

The White Sox say re-signing Konerko remains a top priority despite their recent trade for Philadelphia first baseman Jim Thome, who is already recruiting Konerko.

"I put a call into him this weekend, but we have not talked," Thome said in a Chicago news conference Monday. "I've known Paulie for a long time…. For me, I wanted him to know from my end to come back, please."