If you could choose one player for 2006...

santo=dorf

Which one player would you wish to have on the 2006 Sox the most?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Which one player would you wish to have on the 2006 Sox the most?

• [IMG]https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/delgado.jpg[/IMG]
    • [IMG]https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/giles.jpg[/IMG]
    • [IMG]https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/thome.jpg[/IMG]
    • [IMG]https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/helton.jpg[/IMG]
    • [IMG]http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_117244.jpg[/IMG]

I understand Coors field and all, but why in the hell is Todd Helton not winning (assuming were looking at this from the perspective that money is no object).

5 of the past 6 years this guy has posted a 1.000 + OPS. He's a ridiculous hitter who has hit well both in Coors and away from Coors. He would hit .320-.330 with 25-30 HR, and a .450 OBP (and I think this is minimum).

I don't think he'd suffer like some of the other guys that have left Coors simply because he is such a damn good pure hitter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
I understand Coors field and all, but why in the hell is Todd Helton not winning (assuming were looking at this from the perspective that money is no object).

I think part of it is that you cannot neutralize money in these deals. Thome's going to be more attractive than anybody else, because he's either going to come relatively cheaply money wise, but somewhat expensive personell wise, or vice versa. He's also the biggest risk on board.

I don't think Colorado's even looking to move Helton, and even if they were, they'd be asking for the moon while taking on very little money - IIRC, they've basically come out and said this. Add to the fact that Helton has a complete no-trade clause, and again, if I remember right, will veto any trade that involves him. That makes him very, very unattractive overall...even if he does have ridiculous numbers(his worst year ever is like a .950 OPS...I can't remember if that was this year or last, but that's remarkable, I don't care how much you like or don't like stats)

Also YAS...about that Konerko declining after 3 years...that's just my honest feelings...nothing much more than that. I think his hip condition will play a large role in it. Not saying it will...just saying it's risky is all.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
I think part of it is that you cannot neutralize money in these deals.  Thome's going to be more attractive than anybody else, because he's either going to come relatively cheaply money wise, but somewhat expensive personell wise, or vice versa.  He's also the biggest risk on board. 

I don't think Colorado's even looking to move Helton, and even if they were, they'd be asking for the moon while taking on very little money - IIRC, they've basically come out and said this.  Add to the fact that Helton has a complete no-trade clause, and again, if I remember right, will veto any trade that involves him.  That makes him very, very unattractive overall...even if he does have ridiculous numbers(his worst year ever is like a .950 OPS...I can't remember if that was this year or last, but that's remarkable, I don't care how much you like or don't like stats)

Also YAS...about that Konerko declining after 3 years...that's just my honest feelings...nothing much more than that.  I think his hip condition will play a large role in it.  Not saying it will...just saying it's risky is all.

Helton wants to be apart of the ever lasting youth movement in colorado and will likely end up ending his career there. If not it will be awfully close. This is the main reason he is never apart of trade rumors. Anyone know if he lives there? Because i cannot understand why we wants to be with a team that will likely never succeed.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Helton wants to be apart of the ever lasting youth movement in colorado and will likely end up ending his career there. If not it will be awfully close. This is the main reason he is never apart of trade rumors. Anyone know if he lives there? Because i cannot understand why we wants to be with a team that will likely never succeed.

Helton likes little boys? He does kind of look like that guy on Saturday Night Live, Chris Parnell, who I always think looks like a pedophile. In actuality, I think Helton likes the lifestyle in Colorado. I remember reading he has a lot of land there and he goes hunting, etc. on his property. In fact, the Colorado rookie phenom Clint Barmes got hurt when he fell down carrying up a slab of deer meat that he hunted on Todd Helton's property. I'm not a fan of hunting because I think it is totally unfair as the animal does not get to brandish a gun and try and kill you back but when I heard that story, I thought it was pretty apropos that Barmes broke his leg going up the stairs with a hind leg of a deer...an eye for an eye...almost.

I voted for Delgado because he is like Konerko from the leftside of the plate and would fit the latin culture of the WS team. I would love to have Kong back too but I just think our playoff run and his performance put him well beyond our monetary scope. However, I also like the idea of getting Hideki Matsui and moving Dye to 1B if possible.

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE(heirdog @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Helton likes little boys?  He does kind of look like that guy on Saturday Night Live, Chris Parnell, who I always think looks like a pedophile.  In actuality, I think Helton likes the lifestyle in Colorado.  I remember reading he has a lot of land there and he goes hunting, etc. on his property.  In fact, the Colorado rookie phenom Clint Barmes got hurt when he fell down carrying up a slab of deer meat that he hunted on Todd Helton's property.  I'm not a fan of hunting because I think it is totally unfair as the animal does not get to brandish a gun and try and kill you back but when I heard that story, I thought it was pretty apropos that Barmes broke his leg going up the stairs with a hind leg of a deer...an eye for an eye...almost.

I'm pretty sure he broke his clavicle or something. Pretty sure it wasn't anything in his leg.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm pretty sure he broke his clavicle or something.  Pretty sure it wasn't anything in his leg.

Oh, then it might have been the foreleg of the deer that he was hauling...either way, I remember feeling a sense of "karma" in the air after reading the article.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
I don't think I'd have the infinity in there, but PK's definately a few steps above Delgado.

So you are saying if you had the choice... and didn't have to sign or trade players for either one... you would take konerko over delgado? I would take delgado over konerko every and any time.