Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
I still don't want Rowand traded until after the '06 season. Unless a trade comes up for Delgado, I really don't want to see Row moved. The .900 OPS CF from '04 was so f***in' good, he needs one more season to prove it wasn't a fluke.

I agree completely. Brian Anderson may or may not be ready for the majors and whatever his ceiling is, I include him in a trade rather than Rowand because of the plethora of OF prospects we have. Anderson, regardless of the few at-bats he got this season in the majors, is still a prospect. I keep a potential gold-glove CF who epitomizes our style of play and has shown the potential at the plate (.900 OPS in '04) and then decide to replace him with Young, Owens, Sweeney, etc if needed. What are we going to do with all the OF prospects? And no, I don't foresee Rowand, Pods and Dye all gone so that we can continue to contend in 2007 with Owens, Young, Anderson and Sweeney as our 4 OFs. They will be worked in slowly not all thrown out there.

As far as other teams, do you want the WhiteSox top prospect (leaving McCarthy off here) in Anderson or a solid major league OF in Rowand (as he is perceived)? Most will take Anderson so I think we get get more for Anderson (i.e. not have to include additional top prospects in a Delgado deal). Florida can build on Anderson and Hermida in the OF.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what I expected to see.

Simply put, the Sox can't send Rowand to New York without their being a third party involved. Kenny was dead-on. Those moves simply don't match-up.

Would this be the move bringing in the powerhitting 1B to the Sox in Konerko's absence with a third party? Never know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
That is exactly what I expected to see.

Simply put, the Sox can't send Rowand to New York without their being a third party involved.  Kenny was dead-on.  Those moves simply don't match-up.

Would this be the move bringing in the powerhitting 1B to the Sox in Konerko's absence with a third party?  Never know.

i cant even fathom a trade that would make it. A-row and Marte to NYY for Wang to Brew Crew for Overbay?

I cant seem to think of anything that is not xbox worthy

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Or you could trade him now while he still has value.  Another subpar offensive season from him, and teams wouldn't be willing to give up much for him at all.  From what it seems, mid-level players like Rowand, Orlando Hudson, and Mench are attracting a lot of attention, and there seems to be a pretty nice sized price tag for them also.

Well put.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I still don't want Rowand traded until after the '06 season. Unless a trade comes up for Delgado, I really don't want to see Row moved. The .900 OPS CF from '04 was so f***in' good, he needs one more season to prove it wasn't a fluke.

I was dead set that Rowand wouldn't be traded. But I'm starting to come around and see how it could work out. If '04 was his peak yr [being that it was only 140 games, his avg and OBP would likely have dropped if he played the 157 games like this yr], and he's somewhere in the middle of the '05 and '04, trading him now while he's got a lot of value makes sense. I'd personally like to see a top five or a top ten pitching prospect come the sox way in an ARow trade. Someone starting the yr in AAA who could come to Chi. if a SP went down

Esp. if Anderson could take over and give the sox at least what ARow gave them in '05. Giving Anderson a shot now, before Chris Young comes a knocking at the Cell door in '07, would give the sox a good picture of Anderson's ceiling.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
I was dead set that Rowand wouldn't be traded. But I'm starting to come around and see how it could work out. If '04 was his peak yr [being that it was only 140 games, his avg and OBP would likely have dropped if he played the 157 games like this yr], and he's somewhere in the middle of the '05 and '04, trading him now while he's got a lot of value makes sense. I'd personally like to see a top five or a top ten pitching prospect come the sox way in an ARow trade. Someone starting the yr in AAA who could come to Chi. if a SP went down

Esp. if Anderson could take over and give the sox at least what ARow gave them in '05. Giving Anderson a shot now, before Chris Young comes a knocking at the Cell door in '07, would give the sox a good picture of Anderson's ceiling.

Great point.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Or you could trade him now while he still has value.  Another subpar offensive season from him, and teams wouldn't be willing to give up much for him at all.  From what it seems, mid-level players like Rowand, Orlando Hudson, and Mench are attracting a lot of attention, and there seems to be a pretty nice sized price tag for them also.

Hudson and Rowand are attracting a lot of attention because they're not just mid-level players. Hudson is the best defensive 2B in the game. That + and average bat is extremely valuable. Rowand is one of the best CFers in the game. CF, specifically in a spacious ballpark, is the most important defensive posistion on the field. Rowand is also only a year removed from a top 10 OPS season in the AL. -- These guys are very good players.

Mench can hit HRs, doesn't strike out a lot, and is cheap, thus his value.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
A-row in a huge ballpark like San Diego, Oakland, etc would be extremely valuable.

A lot of teams could use a guy like Arow--LAD, Phil, Balt. Tex, the Cubs. Hit the cubs up for some guys who can start the year pitching in AAA [ala Reynel Pinto, Ricky Nolasco]

I don't like this deal... and no not just because i'm president of the AROW fan club... This team won on pitching and defense... We have the best defensive CF in the game right now... Not only that even if he bats .280 next year he'd hardly be the worse CF out there considering his supurb defense.. It's amazing to me that so many people are willing to give up on a guy who has never hit lower then .270 at the major league level but are now ready to give Joe Crede a 10 year deal because he hit .300 in the playoffs... Plus I don't even want to hear about Brian Anderson's high ceiling... How many years did we hear the same thing about Joe Borchard... The fact is that championship teams can't afford to trade key proven players for maybe's and could be's... If Brian Anderson is so great then trade him... He didn't exactly tear it up when he got the chance this september by the way..

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
A lot of teams could use a guy like Arow--LAD, Phil, Balt. Tex, the Cubs. Hit the cubs up for some guys who can start the year pitching in AAA [ala Reynel Pinto, Ricky Nolasco]

I can't take this anymore. Trade ARow for what prospects? Give up on a future gold glover and one of the key members of a world series champion so that a prospect can take over and then have more prospects in line to take over for a stud pitching staff? Why, why are we so masochistic? Why do we want to take so many leaps backward after winning the world series?

I know the counterpoint that our deepest position of prospects is OF. To me that means trade prospects not the established players. When Young comes a knockin' on the cell door in '07, well then decide if ARow is worth it or not...not this year. If Young is that good, we will forget about ARow, Anderson and even the great Rudy Law.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I can't take this anymore.  Trade ARow for what prospects?  Give up on a future gold glover and one of the key members of a world series champion so that a prospect can take over and then have more prospects in line to take over for a stud pitching staff?  Why, why are we so masochistic?  Why do we want to take so many leaps backward after winning the world series? 

The sox won the World series based on their pitching. If Arow could net a possible #2 or #3 SP, someone who could step in next yr should a SP get hurt, would that hurt the sox chances of repeating? No. Esp if Anderson could give the sox what Arow gave them this yr-- great defense, and numbers like .270/.326/.405.

the sox do not have a surplus of starting pitching in the high minors. This is something that should be addressed, with or w/o an Arow trade. Yet few teams will give away top pitching prospects for guys like Marte or El Duque. It takes talent to get talent.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
Hudson and Rowand are attracting a lot of attention because they're not just mid-level players. Hudson is the best defensive 2B in the game. That + and average bat is extremely valuable. Rowand is one of the best CFers in the game. CF, specifically in a spacious ballpark, is the most important defensive posistion on the field. Rowand is also only a year removed from a top 10 OPS season in the AL.  -- These guys are very good players.

Mench can hit HRs, doesn't strike out a lot, and is cheap, thus his value.

When I say mid-level, I don't mean that they're average players. Rather, they're not near the superstar level either though. If you've seen the names being thrown around in deals for these guys, you would have thought they were superstars. With the weak FA market, more teams are looking to acquire their big players via trades this offseason.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
The sox won the World series based on their pitching. If Arow could net a possible #2 or #3 SP, someone who could step in next yr should a SP get hurt, would that hurt the sox chances of repeating? No. Esp if Anderson could give the sox what Arow gave them this yr-- great defense, and numbers like .270/.326/.405.

the sox do not have a surplus of starting pitching in the high minors. This is something that should be addressed, with or w/o an Arow trade. Yet few teams will give away top pitching prospects for guys like Marte or El Duque. It takes talent to get talent.

Trading arow for a starting pitcher makes 0 sense to me but if he's the centerpiece for a big bat then I'm all for it. We might not have that many pitchers in the high minors minus Haig but Freddy, Mark, Brandon, and I'd bet on Jon too will all be here through atleast 07 so those guys in the lower minors will have time to develop.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't like this deal... and no not just because i'm president of the AROW fan club... This team won on pitching and defense... We have the best defensive CF in the game right now... Not only that even if he bats .280 next year he'd hardly be the worse CF out there considering his supurb defense.. It's amazing to me that so many people are willing to give up on a guy who has never hit lower then .270 at the major league level but are now ready to give Joe Crede a 10 year deal because he hit .300 in the playoffs... Plus I don't even want to hear about Brian Anderson's high ceiling... How many years did we hear the same thing about Joe Borchard... The fact is that championship teams can't afford to trade key proven players for maybe's and could be's... If Brian Anderson is so great then trade him... He didn't exactly tear it up when he got the chance this september by the way..

Um Mark Kotsay is the best CF in the game without a doubt.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
I don't think Rowand would be traded in a deal for Delgado if Pierre is dealt to the Cubs. Why? Because FLA wants Pie if for Pierre from the Cubs.

Not a chance in hell they get Pie for Pierre. More than likely, Hendry will get the better end of the deal, and it will likely be Patterson and Wellemeyer for Pierre.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Trading arow for a starting pitcher makes 0 sense to me but if he's the centerpiece for a big bat then I'm all for it.  We might not have that many pitchers in the high minors minus Haig but Freddy, Mark, Brandon, and I'd bet on Jon too will all be here through atleast 07 so those guys in the lower minors will have time to develop.

If PK doesn't re-sign with the sox, they can pick up a guy like Thome or Helton for cash. A Row wouldn't have to be part of a deal.

The case for a top SP prospect might not seem important now. But if one of those 4 guys go down to an injury, you can't get good SP's mid year. The time to stock is in the offseason. As it is, who do the sox turn to from the minors in case of injury?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)

Yeah just hit .270... because everyone can do it... just ask the cubs about Corey Patterson...

Too many maybe's and could be's in there for my taste... Why not just keep the guy you know for a fact is going to put up those numbes you want... if Anderson hits .240 and plays defense like a typical rookie CF then we end up looking like idiots...

Not to mention we already have 6th starters... all of the pitching in the world isn't

going to help us hit.... Unless of course this 7th starter can DH on the days he's not pitching....

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
If PK doesn't re-sign with the sox, they can pick up a guy like Thome or Helton for cash. A Row wouldn't have to be part of a deal.

The case for a top SP prospect might not seem important now. But if one of those 4 guys go down to an injury, you can't get good SP's mid year. The time to stock is in the offseason. As it is, who do the sox turn to from the minors in case of injury?

Um...el duque. You want to trade Aaron for a top notch starting pitcher and do what with him?? I don't understand what you're trying to say, and if you want to trade him for a prospect I actually have to agree that, that is taking a step backwards, no need to trade Arow for a minor leaguer when you're going to have the Duke to back them up.