Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Um...el duque.  You want to trade Aaron for a top notch starting pitcher and do what with him??  I don't understand what you're trying to say, and if you want to trade him for a prospect I actually have to agree that, that is taking a step backwards, no need to trade Arow for a minor leaguer when you're going to have the Duke to back them up.

My idea for trading Rowand would be to get a starter that's coveted by other teams (like Wang), and then use that starter to acquire a hitter. Thus, we wouldn't have to give up one of our core starting pitchers (the heart of this team), and we have Rowand's replacement in CF as a cheap player with a lot of potential. The thing that could be important is giving Anderson the shot in the outfield before the minor league guys below him are ready for the majors.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Trading arow for a starting pitcher makes 0 sense to me but if he's the centerpiece for a big bat then I'm all for it. 

I'm trying to think like Ozzie and KW. Trading Arow for pitching makes perfect sense. I definitely see the sox wanting a SP from AAA ready to step in and win games should an injury occur. They don't want to get into the whole 5th starter merry-go-round. They should want someone who can step in for the whole yr, not just one or two starts. the sox don't even have a guy who can fill in for one or two starts

Sometime this offseason, a trade should be made that will address this gap in the sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Kotsay's arm is infinitely better than Rowand's arm.  Hunter's better than both guys when healthy.

Kotsay's arm may be better than Rowand's but Row has much better range and get's better jumps on balls. Row seriously has to concentrate on making more accurate throws next year and avoid popping the ball off the back of the mound.

And like I said Hunter >>> Kotsay/Rowand.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm trying to think like Ozzie and KW. Trading Arow for pitching makes perfect sense. I definitely see the sox wanting a SP from AAA ready to step in and win games should an injury occur. They don't want to get into the whole 5th starter merry-go-round. They should want someone who can step in for the whole yr, not just one or two starts. the sox don't even have a guy who can fill in for one or two starts

Sometime this offseason, a trade should be made that will address this gap in the sox.

You just described Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Um...el duque.  You want to trade Aaron for a top notch starting pitcher and do what with him??  I don't understand what you're trying to say, and if you want to trade him for a prospect I actually have to agree that, that is taking a step backwards, no need to trade Arow for a minor leaguer when you're going to have the Duke to back them up.

A top notch AA pitcher who can start the yr in AAA, and possibly take over for Contreras in 07 when he's looking at getting $12, 13 mill a yr.

El Duque? His arm is about to fall off. Counting on him is like counting on Frank to Dh the entire yr.

We got the Duke who most likely is still going to be with the team and in the bullpen, I just dont see Aaron being traded for a 7th starting pitcher.

Why do you guys think that Brian Anderson will hit .270? In his brief stint in the majors this year, nothing stuck out indicating he would hit that. He would likely end up hitting ~.250 with 100+ stikeouts in a full season (similar numbers to A-Row in '05). If that were the case, I would personally rather having A-Row in the outfield, since he's had the experience, and has had major success at the major league level.

If the deal is for a big bat, I can make sense of it (I still won't like it, but at least it makes some senes to me). Pitching, not so much. Our pitching staff is one of the best in the league, and with BMac coming into it next year, it should be even better. Why trade the best defensive centerfielder in the game for more pitching? Do we really need 7-8 starters?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
He was pretty much a statue out there this season. Great arm, but average range this season.

How overated has he become on this board? Almost as much as furcal and people wanting him for ten million a year.

Edited by qwerty

Ok now your just being silly...

Ozzie built this team on pitching and DEFENSE.... DEFENSE...

Remember defense it's important too...

Their not going to trade their proven gold glove CF (he deserved it more then Hunter) and Ozzie sure as hell isn't going to want to replace one of his defensive stars with a maybe rookie where you don't know what your getting... Especially for another Felix Diaz like pitching prospect that can get shelled his first game out so you can post tball pictures of him... If KW is going to get an insurance starter it sure as hell won't be a rookie or a prospect... Thats one lesson he's learned from the last 3 years...

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
BMac will be in the rotation to start 2006. The sox need a Bmac type ready in AAA in 06

And Duke is our 6th starter. You say you try and think like Ozzie and KW yet you rule out El Duque being the 6th starter for next year when that's more than likely what they're thinking about going with in '06.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
How overated has he become on this board? Almost as much as furcal and people wanting him for ten million a year.

People enjoy saying how good a player is on another team so they don't have to use Aaron Rowand when talking about the best defensive OFers in baseaball.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Ok now your just being silly...

Ozzie built this team on pitching and DEFENSE.... DEFENSE...

Remember defense it's important too...

Their not going to trade their proven gold glove CF (he deserved it more then Hunter) and Ozzie sure as hell isn't going to want to replace one of his defensive stars with a maybe rookie where you don't know what your getting... Especially for another Felix Diaz like pitching prospect that can get shelled his first game out so you can post tball pictures of him... If KW is going to get an insurance starter it sure as hell won't be a rookie or a prospect... Thats one lesson he's learned from the last 3 years...

If Anderson can play defense like Rowand, how is trading him taking away from the sox team defense?! I'm not a scout. But if the Sox think Anderson can play defense like Rowand, Aaron's expendable

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
And Duke is our 6th starter. You say you try and think like Ozzie and KW yet you rule out El Duque being the 6th starter for next year when that's more than likely what they're thinking about going with in '06.

I don't think the sox will be [and shouldn't be] counting on El Duque to throw much in 06.

Remember, this team is also built around the clubhouse attitude. Rowand is a great team player, and one of the favorites in the clubhouse from what I've read. Kenny made a huge deal about not messing with chemistry at the trade deadline, and it worked out for him.

I don't really understand why he would trade a clubhouse leader, while he thinks so highly of chemistry.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't think the sox will be [and shouldn't be] counting on El Duque to throw much in 06.

If he cannot throw 120 innings next year i hope they cut him. He is potentially a big waste of a roster space in more ways than one.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Remember, this team is also built around the clubhouse attitude.  Rowand is a great team player, and one of the favorites in the clubhouse from what I've read.  Kenny made a huge deal about not messing with chemistry at the trade deadline, and it worked out for him. 

I don't really understand why he would trade a clubhouse leader, while he thinks so highly of chemistry.

That's honestly the biggest reason I wouldn't want Aaron traded: him, Joe, and AJ are so close and I just don't want to mess with the chemistry of this club. That being said if Aaron could be the center piece for a big bat you obviously have to look into it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
That's honestly the biggest reason I wouldn't want Aaron traded: him, Joe, and AJ are so close and I just don't want to mess with the chemistry of this club.  That being said if Aaron could be the center piece for a big bat you obviously have to look into it.

As much as Rowand disappointed me at the plate last season, he impressed me just as much with his leadership and attitude. However, if you can trade him with the big picture being that he's a piece to acquire a marquee power hitter, then I have no problem getting rid of him.