Biggest dump in the majors

timotime

The biggest dump in the bigs is...  

143 members have voted

1. 1. The biggest dump in the bigs is...

• Twinkie Dome
    • Tiger Stadium
    • US Cellular (shame on you if you vite this one)
    • Tropicana Field
    • Shea Stadium
    • Yankee Stadium

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
since ive never been there, i am asking:

what is it about HHH Dome that is bad? ive only heard it's crappy, never why. id assume because of the studpid wall in the outfield, the echoes, the artificialness of it.

The place isn't a dump, but it was depressing being in there watching a baseball game in mid September while the conditions were almost perfect outside. The food was also pretty good there. They have a famous dave's in the dome and it actually tasted better than the restaurant I went to here in Chicago. The part that sucked though were the seats. The place was built for football, so by the 7th inning or so, you're(had to throw that in for Jason) neck is stiff from having to turn to watch the game. I also had trouble with depth perception. I had a hard time seeing how far a ball was hit, but for the most part, it wasn't too hard picking up the ball in the roof. If you haven't been there, you should try to make a trip up there. Had a lot of fun when we went.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
No offense, but Fenway's a bit of a dump as well.

It was, but it has improved the last 3 years.....

but they have to replace the wooden seats in the grandstand...they fine if you are a munchkin

1112276170_3118.jpg

Edited by Fenway

Ok, I don't want to brag, but here is my list of parks I've been to:

Old and New Parks in Milwaukee

Old and New Parks in Cincinnati

HHH Dome

Comerica Park

Jacobs Field

The Cell

Wrigley

Fenway

Yankee Stadium

Tropicana Field

Marlins Stadium

Turner Field

Busch Stadium

Skydome

And of these parks, Wrigley is so easily #1 it's not even funny.....with Tropicana 2nd and the Hump Dome 3rd.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

this is a stupid poll, thats all there is to it, ill admit i dont like our stadium that much but it beats the other choices, tampa is by far the worst, they have the least seating in the league and the place looks like a f***in warehouse, but im not shocked to see the twins winnin, we hate them so we voted for them which is a stupid reason

my vote=tampa

US Cellular: good place to see a game :gosox3:

Wrigley: I have no problem with it, but as all the old stadiums are, it's kind of a dump. Many, many bad (restricted view) seats. Good atmosphere.

The new SF park is probably the best I've been to (saw Bonds hit a walk off homer - pretty cool, even though I can't stand him).

The new SD was very average. Nothing great about it, which is weird because it had so many new places to draw ideas from (the warehouse in LF is pretty cool, though).

Toronto's Exhibition Stadium was the CLEANEST place I've ever been to. I would have let my wife give birth on the artificial turf. That clean.

BOB (Chase) in AZ is totally blah. Quiet crowd. Kind of dark. Not a great experience.

Camden is really cool looking. Good place to see a game.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
Ok, I don't want to brag, but here is my list of parks I've been to:

Old and New Parks in Milwaukee

Old and New Parks in Cincinnati

HHH Dome

Comerica Park

Jacobs Field

The Cell

Wrigley

Fenway

Yankee Stadium

Tropicana Field

Marlins Stadium

Turner Field

Busch Stadium

Skydome

And of these parks, Wrigley is so easily #1 it's not even funny.....with Tropicana 2nd and the Hump Dome 3rd.

What's wrong with Comerica Park. I have been there a few times and I think it is very nice. What do you not like about it?

I voted for Tropicana. It is the worst place I have ever been to to watch game. It feels as if I am watching a baseball game in a warehouse or a garage. It would be like going to the Odeum in Villa Park to watch a baseaball game.

I don't understand why Tiger Stadium is up there. It is not even open anymore. If it is supposed to be Comerica Park then I don't understand that either. I enjoy going to that park. I think it is a very nice place to watch a game and the field seems awesome.

Thanks to my dad, I've been able to experience a few ballparks:

Old Comiskey

The Cell

Yankeee Stadium

Tiger Stadium

Comerica

HHH Metrodome

The Skydome

The Stadium the Fish play in (which sucks, football facility, it feels all wrong)

Of those, the HHH Metrodome is by far the worst. It feels all wrong, from the roof to the turf to the food. The skydome is much better, the best dome I've experienced for baseball. The parking is easy, despite being right downtown in beautiful Toronto, the night my dad took me we got to see the roof recede, which was sweet when it was all the open. It almost felt just like an outdoor park, except the turf of course. The food and beer are pricey, but very good as well.

I saw Cubs/Yankees at Yankee Stadium this year, an amazing experience. The subway on the way to the game was a great experience in itself, packed with Cubs and Yankees fans.

Tiger Stadium isn't as bad as it gets reps for. I remember having outfield seats and it felt like we were right next to Griffey in center. Like talking distance away.

Comerica is great, I don't know what people are complaining about. Downtown Detroit is much improved in the last 5 years, and the ballpark has an amazing field and turf, as well as great seating along the first base line (where we had tix both nights last year)

The Cell is average in my opinion, although I haven't been since the recent renovations.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
you apparently haven't been to detroit in at least 5 years.

It's obvious that he has.

I go every year as well.. what exactly is your problem with Comerica and the area immediately surrounding the park..?

It's obvious that he has.

I go every year as well.. what exactly is your problem with Comerica and the area immediately surrounding the park..?

are you all serious? i used to live in detroit, and still have many friends there. the city should be a-bombed and rebuilt. it's terrible. its my least favorite downtown of all downtowns.

im not slamming the stadium. just cause i put it on the list doesnt mean i hate it. its just an option for someone to choose.

also im talking about downtown in general, not the immediate area around comerica. that specific area is notorius for crime, however, i know that for a fact.

just my personal experience. sorry if i offended anyone.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
What's wrong with Comerica Park. I have been there a few times and I think it is very nice. What do you not like about it?

Noooo, that list is just all the parks I've been to, the 3 i mentioned below are the worst 3 (Wrigley, Tropicana, Hump Dome). I actually really like Comerica Park, even if Detroit as a town is awful.

Yankee Stadium maybe the dirtest park in MLB but it was interesting when the Red Sox went to Wrigley last June, the Boston media was horrified at how dirty and smelly Wrigley was.

The Red Sox at least TRY to make Fenway better, the Tribune Company puts up a net to catch falling concrete

I may be a bit biased here, but after seeing a White Sox home game for the first time in 26 years this past September, i really enjoyed the atmosphere that the New Comiskey had to offer, as the closest i had ever been to it beforehand, was in front of my tv set in L.A. :headshake I was a bit awestruck by it, seeing it in person for the first time. I've been to both Dodger and Angel Stadiums during the regular seasons, and during some of their previous playoff runs too. Nice parks, but not the same atmosphere as the few games i attended at Sox Park. Everyone is practically gone by the 7th inning stretch, if they are losing, and even sometimes when they are winning. Can't give an opinion on how Wrigley is today, as i haven't been to a game there since 1973, forced to go one Tuesday Ladies Day, :lol: by a lifelong Cubs fan, :huh who just happens to be my dear sweet Mother. It's ok Mom, i still love you! :gosox1:

:cheers

I've been to:

Old Comiskey

New Comiskey

Wrigley Field

Jacobs Field

Miller Park

Kauffman (formerly Royals) Stadium

Angel Stadium

Dodger Stadium

SBC Park

I spent a year living in Minneapolis and never actually made it to the Dome to see the Sox on a road trip, which now I kind of regret. However, the place was just such a depressing dump in the middle of an otherwise pretty nice downtown--it looks like the Michelin man fell over dead from a heart attack in the middle of the city--I had very little desire to spend money at a place like that. Baseball should not be played in a warehouse. It was built in '82 and politicians and fans alike have been in want of a new stadium for the Twins for almost as long.

SBC Park, hands down, best new park I've been to. Right in downtown, McCovey Cove, they just did everything right with this ballpark.

Miller Park has the best food, and they've got High Life on tap, big points for that, and Bob Uecker's broadcast can be heard all throughout the concourse during the game.

The Jake is a nice park as well. Solid neo-classic design.

Angel Stadium is all right, comfortable, but come on, Panda Express? I suppose it is OC, after all.

I love Dodger Stadium. Built on the cusp of the concrete donut era, they really hit the mark. The place is immaculately maintained, and it's only about five exits on the 5 from my house.

As a kid, I went to games at Wrigley almost as often as I did to games at Old Comiskey. And I enjoyed myself at both places, although I always was a Sox fan.

New Comiskey did open to rave reviews as it was the first new ballpark since the Metrodome, IIRC. It benefitted from a lot of fanfare.

However, when Camden Yards opened in 1992, New Comiskey's reviews turned sour. It was a place plagued with good intentions, like the brick exterior designed to be reminiscent of Old Comiskey before its whitewashing (as a kid, I remember thinking Old Comiskey looked like a big Pepperidge Farm coconut cake), but this beautiful façade was suburbanized by that stupid blue roof and silly green glass windows--the ballparks of old all have a skeletal quality to their architecture, that's part of the aesthetic. This looked like an office park. What's more, all of this is obscured by huge pedestrian ramps.

The retort from the architects who built New Comiskey was the lack of funding necessitated a the corner-cutting that led to many of the design decisions, but part of good design is making due within the parameters you're given. But I remember for years hearing about the new Sox park and how Reinsdorf wanted a modern marvel on the level of Royals Stadium, which if you want to talk about sterile...

I think the new renovations have done a lot for New Comiskey. I think the black girder work along the upper deck is more spartan than the blue roof and the all-white look of the outfield. But when I look at Camden Yards I can't help but think that's what New Comiskey should have been.