JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Rowand's slugging is better.

Rowand:  .283  .337  .451

Pierre:  .305  .355  .375

Pierre's role as a #2 hitter with us wouldn't be trying to hit homeruns and striking out a lot like Rowand.

YES!

Grounders to 2B win Championships.

Remember when Pods hit that game winner right at Biggio?

Oh and that routine 3-hopper that Blum tapped to Everett.

I'll cherish those memories forever.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
What?  I want to keep Podsednik.  I want to have a 1-2 of Podsednik and Pierre.  :huh:

And why is 2004 the exception to the rule for Podsednik but 2005 isn't for Pierre?  Once again, Pierre had 4 good seasons and only 1 bad one.  But Podsednik is more consistent because he had 2 good seasons and 1 bad one?  That kind of logic doesn't make much sense.

Apparently, the Sox want to move Iguchi down to a more RBI producing role.  Ozzie also likes to run a lot.  That's why this move would make some sense.

Also, I never said I wanted to traded Rowand for Pierre.  I think trading Marte for Pierre would make more sense because the Marlins have always had interest in him.  Then I could see packaging Rowand with some prospects for a #3 lefty hitter.

Oh. Well if they are dumb enough to Marte and a prospect or 2 for Pierre I'm all for it. I'm not even that big of a Rowand fan, but i dont' like that straight up trade.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Rowand's slugging is better.

Rowand:  .283  .337  .451

Pierre:  .305  .355  .375

Pierre's role as a #2 hitter with us wouldn't be trying to hit homeruns and striking out a lot like Rowand.

As is his OPS.

YES!

Grounders to 2B win Championships.

Remember when Pods hit that game winner right at Biggio?

Oh and that routine 3-hopper that Blum tapped to Everett.

I'll cherish those memories forever.

Speaking of grounders to the infield, did you miss Rowand hitting all of those grounders to the shortstop this past season? What's the difference? :huh:

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
No, it was Carl Everett.

Yep. My bust. THats pretty crazy isn't it. We aren't gonna sign back our base hit run driver inner. Not that I would either. I'm gonna be pissed if our lineup plan is:

Pods

Guch

Frank/other questionable (as in Frank) DH

Dye

Pier

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

though. Because I am NOT a big Anderson fan. At least not for next year's offense. A year after that maybe.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
Yep. My bust. THats pretty crazy isn't it. We aren't gonna sign back our base hit run driver inner. Not that I would either. I'm gonna be pissed if our lineup plan is:

Pods

Guch

Frank/other questionable (as in Frank) DH

Dye

Pier

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

though. Because I am NOT a big Anderson fan. At least not for next year's offense. A year after that maybe.

Don't worry about that jphat, I guarantee you that won't be our lineup next season.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Speaking of grounders to the infield, did you miss Rowand hitting all of those grounders to the shortstop this past season?   What's the difference?  :huh:

Difference is Rowand will probably make less money than Pierre makes next season, and plays much better defense at (arguably) the most important defensive spot in the game. And yes, the defense is much better -- huge downgrade defensively from Rowand to Pierre, IMO.

Oh, yeah -- and Rowand's line of .270/.329/.407 was almost the league average line. Considering that his numbers this year were well below his career line, that's somewhat encouraging.

Cheat -- I hope your prediction comes through. Florida seems to want relief pitching, I wouldn't mind sending them two -- Vizcaino (if we still have control of him), Marte, and Rowand for Delgado.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Difference is Rowand will probably make less money than Pierre makes next season, and plays much better defense at (arguably) the most important defensive spot in the game.  And yes, the defense is much better -- huge downgrade defensively from Rowand to Pierre, IMO.

Oh, yeah -- and Rowand's line of .270/.329/.407 was almost the league average line.  Considering that his numbers this year were well below his career line, that's somewhat encouraging.

Cheat -- I hope your prediction comes through.  Florida seems to want relief pitching, I wouldn't mind sending them two -- Vizcaino (if we still have control of him), Marte, and Rowand for Delgado.

We do. Vizcaino is arbitration eligible.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
Difference is Rowand will probably make less money than Pierre makes next season, and plays much better defense at (arguably) the most important defensive spot in the game.  And yes, the defense is much better -- huge downgrade defensively from Rowand to Pierre, IMO.

Oh, yeah -- and Rowand's line of .270/.329/.407 was almost the league average line.  Considering that his numbers this year were well below his career line, that's somewhat encouraging.

Cheat -- I hope your prediction comes through.  Florida seems to want relief pitching, I wouldn't mind sending them two -- Vizcaino (if we still have control of him), Marte, and Rowand for Delgado.

I can't imagine Florida would be crazy enough to do that deal.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)

You may have to add a prospect to that deal, while subtracting Viz or Marte.

They're going to want pitching, McCarthy specifically. I suppose they like Constreras too, but he makes way too much $$ for them. -- I would expect a deal of Rowand + Marte + one of the lefties Haigwood/Liotta/Gio

That would save them about 8M in '06 and 10+M in '07, and they should be back to competing for the Wild Card in '07.

im willing to bet that we dont get Juan Pierre. He would be a nice additon offensively, but defensively, I would see him a good fit. Then signing Kong would be a must as well, because we are losing many RBIS. I really dont think he is a fit on this team.

I would however take Lowell and Becket and then trade the COunt for a bat. but thats another story all together.

im willing to bet that we dont get Juan Pierre.  He would be a nice additon offensively, but defensively, I would see him a good fit.  Then signing Kong would be a must as well, because we are losing many RBIS.  I really dont think he is a fit on this team.

I would however take Lowell and Becket and then trade the COunt for a bat.  but thats another story all together.

Ick, that would be brutal. Lowell has $18 million left on his contract and while Beckett is a good pitcher, he hasn't even sniffed 200+ innings in his entire career. No thanks.

Edited by SSH2005

I love reading old threads -- This wasn't from here, but it's great....

I just wonder if they'll be shrewd enough to realize the best value they can get would be to trade Carlos Lee.

That is my hope. He's by far the most expendable player on the Sox. Losing Maggs would be a PR nightmare. Losing Carlos and his Huge salary would be great IMO.. Aaron Rowand can put up simillar numbers, and play better defensively. If Carlos can bring another arm, or solid lefty bat (JD Drew, Steve Finley) than I'm all for it.

Finley sucked. Drew was injured. But the premise was right. Podsednik, and Pierzynski were "solid lefty bats." -- I guess it all worked out.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Ick, that would be brutal.  Lowell has $18 million left on his contract and while Beckett is a good pitcher, he hasn't even sniffed 200+ innings in his entire career.  No thanks.

His IP have increased his entire career while his WHIP has also gone down his entire career(with the exception of 02-03).

Beckett, IMO, is a sleeper 20 game winner next year. Iit's hard to say sleeper when he has shown that he is a very good pitcher, but it's not hard when considering his health issues.

You cannot worry about Pierre however until you know what is going to happen with PK. Once you figure out WTF is going on with him, then you can move onto other potential deals.

The type of package I would not be surprised to see if the Sox were to lose Konerko would be to look to acquiring Thome and perhaps Pierre either at the same time, or simultaneously at the very least. The problem with both trades is that both teams are looking for similar types of players...both want OFers and both want relief pitching. Both are areas the Sox are deep in, but they aren't really deep enough to do both. I don't think you can give up Rowand in a Pierre trade at all. If you do, you are crippling any chance you have of acquiring Thome.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
His IP have increased his entire career while his WHIP has also gone down his entire career(with the exception of 02-03).

Beckett, IMO, is a sleeper 20 game winner next year. Iit's hard to say sleeper when he has shown that he is a very good pitcher, but it's not hard when considering his health issues. 

You cannot worry about Pierre however until you know what is going to happen with PK.    Once you figure out WTF is going on with him, then you can move onto other potential deals.

The type of package I would not be surprised to see if the Sox were to lose Konerko would be to look to acquiring Thome and perhaps Pierre either at the same time, or simultaneously at the very least.  The problem with both trades is that both teams are looking for similar types of players...both want OFers and both want relief pitching.  Both are areas the Sox are deep in, but they aren't really deep enough to do both.  I don't think you can give up Rowand in a Pierre trade at all.  If you do, you are crippling any chance you have of acquiring Thome.

So your willing to bet a guy who hasn't sniffed 200 IP is going to win 20 games? I doubt it. He basically has to win every game he pitches. He's the definition of a wuss. He's Kerry Wood part deux when it comes to injuries.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
well it's not like Pierre isn't a similar batter to Podsednik, or Ozuna for that matter.

The sox do need another everyday position player like Pods at the top of the lineup--lefty or switch hitter, high obp, high avg. Pods goes down, who hits leadoff?

And a power lefty, rbi guy, high obp, a #3, or 4 hitter

Ozuna? He's a utility guy and not an everyday player [or someone who could fill in as a #1 or #2 hitter for a month]

The sox seem intent on moving Tad from the #2 spot, hitting him 6th or 7th. Get a guy and have Tad as a backup for the #2 spot.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
So your willing to bet a guy who hasn't sniffed 200 IP is going to win 20 games? I doubt it. He basically has to win every game he pitches. He's the definition of a wuss. He's Kerry Wood part deux when it comes to injuries.

Since when is a sleeper pick something I'd bet on?

The fact remains the guy's IP totals have increased every year he's been in the majors, so he's starting to better avoid nagging injuries. I could easily see Beckett winning 20 next year in the right situation.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
There are 2 centerfielders that are head and shoulders above everyone else in Jones and Hunter and then Aaron is in the next group with Cameron, Kotsay, Wells, and maybe a few others I'm not thinking of right now.

Im sorry but Aaron is no where close to Cameron, Adruw Jones is much better than hima nd Ill take Wells 13 assists and no errors above Aaron.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Lol, Rowand's arm wasn't accurate, but for a long time he had a "plus" arm when he was down in the minors and arm strenght wise his arm is still above average in CF.

Oh and he is easily one of the 6 best CF'ers in the game.  Ask anyone in baseball and they'll tell you that and yes, I do know people in the baseball world.

Im sure they will tell you that they would have Pierre at CF as a whole than Rowand. Cause offense does play a role in baseball.