White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WSCR 670's George Offman said that a good source told him that Jerry Reinsdorf told Paul Konerko that the Thome trade will have no affect on the Sox's ability or desire to re-sign him. He also said that Frank Thomas is gone whether or not Konerko re-signs with us. The Sox just don't know enough about Frank's foot to bring him back even if Konerko leaves. They would go in a different direction. He said that the Sox could trade for a guy like Aubrey Huff if Konerko leaves. Also, the Sox are still interested in Bill Mueller because they are worried about Crede's back.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
WSCR 670's George Offman said that a good source told him that Jerry Reinsdorf told Paul Konerko that the Thome trade will have no affect on the Sox's ability or desire to re-sign him.  He also said that Frank Thomas is gone whether or not Konerko re-signs with us.  The Sox just don't know enough about Frank's foot to bring him back even if Konerko leaves.  They would go in a different direction.  He said that the Sox could trade for a guy like Aubrey Huff if Konerko leaves.  Also, the Sox are still interested in Bill Mueller because they are worried about Crede's back.

Good stuff and I'm glad JR did that. I really am confident that he'll be back (Paulie).

Okay, so I'm going to put my input into this discussion. Jim Thome is a monster lefty bat in the middle of the lineup. How long have we been waiting for this? Jim Thome is a proven clubhouse leader and a standup guy. Jim Thome waved his no trade clause to come home and finish his career with the World Champion Chicago White Sox. Jim Thome will thrive hitting in the cell, and hopefully will be able to focus on just hitting by being the DH. Jim Thome is owed $7 million per year, while in theory, Aaron Rowand is owed $10 million this year and $12 million in 2007. Which hitter would you prefer in the lineup? Which one is getting paid less by the Chicago White Sox? How many great defensive seasons did Aaron Rowand have before this year? How many 40 home run seasons has Jim Thome had playing in Cleveland and Philly? I love this deal!!!

Yes, that'd make sense.  I am surprised when someone posted that Levine says they aren't chasing Pierre.  I clearly see Pierre as the next target, aside from the debate of whether it's the right move or not.  He fits what Ozzie wants.

Does Bruce Levine suck yet? :lol:

Now Levine has gone back and forth about Pierre going to two different teams. A week or so ago, he said that the Cubs who were close to a deal for Pierre. Two days after that, he changed his stance and stated that he never said that the Cubs were close to a trade for Pierre.

Earlier today, he reported that the Sox were still interested in trading for Pierre after the Thome trade went down. The very same day he reports that the Sox aren't interested in Pierre and will likely stick with Brian Anderson in center field. He's a carpet-bomber, nothing more. Cue the picture.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Does Bruce Levine suck yet?  :lol:

Now Levine has gone back and forth about Pierre going to two different teams.  A week or so ago, he said that the Cubs who were close to a deal for Pierre.  Two days after that, he changed his stance and stated that he never said that the Cubs were close to a trade for Pierre.  Earlier today, he reported that the Sox were still interested in trading for Pierre after the Thome trade went down.  The very same day he reports that the Sox aren't interested in Pierre and will likely stick with Brian Anderson in center field.  He's a carpet-bomber, nothing more.  Cue the picture.

levine is such a douchebag

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't wanna see Rowand go.

It'll hurt less in a few weeks. Then, after the first of the year, when you meet Thome at Soxfest it will get a little better. Then in spring training you will be healed. At least that's what I'm telling myself. He's a hard worker and a guy who's going to get better before he gets worse and I can't say the same for Thome. He's past his prime.

I don't really understand how this can be a positive trade? Thome had a no-trade clause and was apparently only willing to accept a trade to the White Sox and Indians, the Tribe didn't want him, so effectively the White Sox were the only team in the running for Thome. It seems to me if Kenny Williams had waited for a few more months the Phillies would have been more desperate and the Sox wouldn't have to part with two top-tier prospects. I see this trade as a lack of patience from Willimas that cost him more than would have been necessary to acquire Thome.

"If you want to know the truth, the news kind of numbed me,'' Manuel said. "Jimmy is like my son. I've been around him his whole career, and I've been a part of all the places that he's been. I hate to see him leave, but I know he's going to bounce back and have a h*ll of a big year in Chicago.''

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
I don't really understand how this can be a positive trade? Thome had a no-trade clause and was apparently only willing to accept a trade to the White Sox and Indians, the Tribe didn't want him, so effectively the White Sox were the only team in the running for Thome. It seems to me if Kenny Williams had waited for a few more months the Phillies would have been more desperate and the Sox wouldn't have to part with two top-tier prospects. I see this trade as a lack of patience from Willimas that cost him more than would have been necessary to acquire Thome.

What makes you think the Tribe didn't want him. They had offered a package centered around Coco Crisp.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)

.281/430/1193 for $7 million per year. Yes, we did lose prospects. Proven 40 home run slugger >>>>> Prospects. Would you rather repeat or possibly have a good pitcher in three years?

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
I don't really understand how this can be a positive trade? Thome had a no-trade clause and was apparently only willing to accept a trade to the White Sox and Indians, the Tribe didn't want him, so effectively the White Sox were the only team in the running for Thome.

How do you know the Indians didn't want him? Maybe the Sox offered a better trade package to Philly.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Hell I think they should have Aaron Rowand in and honored when the Phillies are in town to play the Cubs.  I'd do whatever I could cause Rowand is one of the key kogs of last year.  In 2 or 3 years I'd have zero problem bringing him back (when he's a free agent).

If I'm ever in a stadium at the same time as Aaron Rowand...all my sign will say will be "Thanks Aaron". And I will of course be in full Sox attire.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 05:31 AM)
If I'm ever in a stadium at the same time as Aaron Rowand...all my sign will say will be "Thanks Aaron".  And I will of course be in full Sox attire.

thinking of that, now i have a reason to go to dodger games =D

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
thinking of that, now i have a reason to go to dodger games =D

Caltech always has a Dodger night that I've never gone to...if they have one against the Phils...I'm there. And I'll make sure to try to sneak down by the visitors dugout during BP.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
I cannot see where in the world you get those numbers.  As far as I know ARow will be paid $3.25 million next season after earning $2 million last season.

Phillies are still paying $7 million for Thome, so in theory, they are paying $10 million for Rowand in 06 and $12 million for him in 07.