White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
The report is that it is Haigwood and a player to be named.

There has been some speculation that the player to be named is Gio Gonzalez, but neither of those names have been confirmed at all.

This affects neither Konerko nor Thomas...but makes it such that 1 of those 2 will not be back next year.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring, one or the other won't be back.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
I'm sure this has been posted in this 32 page thread but I don't think I have enough time to read all of it. So can somebody please give me a recap. Who's the other player going with Rowand to Philadelphia? Does this mean either Konerko or Thomas won't be back next season? Thanks in advance.

The one thing that does affect PK especially is that the Phils pay half of Thome's remaining contract, so it leaves room for the Sox to resign him.

It will definately be interesting to see who the prospects are. Haigwood is a guy I really like, while Gio I'd give up. Of course if Thome is healthy this is a great trade for the Sox. They get one of the premiere run producers in the game.

Its definately a little risk, but the Phils are putting a lot of cash into the pot and as much as I love Rowand I understand trading from a strenght of the organization (both LHP prospects and CFers).

I love this site too. I was on the golf course when I got a call from Boz telling me Rowand was dealt. Than 2 minutes later Molto and Heads text me with the details. Even from afar I had a clue of what was going on.

Now the question is who exactly is the prospect and what will Juan Pierre cost. Or do the Sox have another person in mind or are they planning on Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
The report is that it is Haigwood and a player to be named.

There has been some speculation that the player to be named is Gio Gonzalez, but neither of those names have been confirmed at all.

This affects neither Konerko nor Thomas...but makes it such that 1 of those 2 will not be back next year.

This ends it for Thomas, imo. Thome is not being acquired to play 1st. In a pinch he could, but I think the Sox plans are to use him as a full time DH. Paulie could be playing 1st or Dye could be playing 1st, but Frank Thomas days with the Sox ended the second Thome was on his way to Chicago.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
jason, whats your take on this trade and the doors it opens?

Its interesting. It could be a time where Anderson can come in and put similar numbers up. Personally I think he's still a year away from doing that, but Anderson has the tools to be a similar player.

The player I'd hate giving up the most (long term) is Daniel Haigwood. However, Kenny has just filled this clubs major hole for the past couple years (left handed pop) and a healthy Jim Thome makes this a fantastic trade. If Thome is hurt and never comes back to his career norms, this would be a poor deal.

I have faith in Kenny and the staff and I think they believe Thome will be back at 100%. Its been shown recently that players can put up good numbers into there late 30's. That said, 2-3 years from now we may have some concerns.

Its definately going to be interesting to see what happens in CF. I'd like to bring in another guy and working Anderson in as a 4th outfielder (getting a ton of Ab's though). I'm guessing we'll see a speed guy brought in.

I can't imagine KW doing this without first clearing his plans with Ozzie.  Not something this big, not after last season.

As you young guys like to say, ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Agree 100%, there is somethng else in the works.

Guillen wants to drop Iguchi down, he wants more speed and contact at the top, and now there's a vacancy in CF. I am connecting the dots and it leads me to Juan Pierre. But Jason brings up a good point, they could have their eye on someone else.

I heard earlier today he said Pierre would be next.

Yes, that'd make sense. I am surprised when someone posted that Levine says they aren't chasing Pierre. I clearly see Pierre as the next target, aside from the debate of whether it's the right move or not. He fits what Ozzie wants.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I heard earlier today he said Pierre would be next.

Nope, Ken Griffey, Jr. is next. We'll have Griffey, Dye, Thome, and Thomas all on the same team and they'll miss more games than they play.

Realistically though, getting Pierre would be awesome. We could move Iguchi down in the order, have Pierre and Podsednik bat in the top 2 spots. It looks as if the Marlins are on a fire sale, things could go our way with Pierre.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
My guess that the Sox try and get Tony Womack.  He has the speed you want and can play 2b and OF if needed.  I just think this is what might happen even thought I think Willie Harris is a better player at this point and could become a Chone Figgins type player.

Tony Womack won't be here. Like you said..Willie is a better player then Womack.

My guess that the Sox try and get Tony Womack.  He has the speed you want and can play 2b and OF if needed.  I just think this is what might happen even thought I think Willie Harris is a better player at this point and could become a Chone Figgins type player.

One of the East Coast sports columnists figured out this season that Womack had the worst season for a regular OF since the early 1900's. He kept ripping on him in column after column. It was fairly amusing.

I would feel sick if we traded actual living, breathing ballplayers for Womack. Or signed him for real, authentic currency. (I forget his contract status)

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
As you young guys like to say, ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Agree 100%, there is somethng else in the works.

Guillen wants to drop Iguchi down, he wants more speed and contact at the top, and now there's a vacancy in CF.  I am connecting the dots and it leads me to Juan Pierre.  But Jason brings up a good point, they could have their eye on someone else.

Its got to be a speed guy. Hell, I know a lot of people hate this name and I highly doubt the Sox want to spend the money. However, Johnny Damon is now a candidate and would have a place to play. I can't possibly see the Sox doing this, but you never know.

My guess is Ozzie has already told him who he wants and him and Kenny have a plan. They were willing to trade Aaron for a reason and I don't think that reason is Brian Anderson (it may be the long term reason) but I don't think its the whole reason.

Ozzie wants another speed guy at the top of the order which will move Guchi down in the lineup. This is going to give the Sox a really balanced lineup (when they find that CF). Also, an alternative if the Sox lose Konerko is to get Giles and put him in CF or LF. I don't think Giles would come here, but thats another potential option.

I'm trying to think of other speedy outfielders that would fit, but Pierre is the name that makes the most amount of sense. Plus the Fish want to move him (Dodgers are really interested though supposedly). Could the DRays have Carl Crawford on the block? Just throwing out a name.