White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
You know, I think Borchard deserves a chance to try and get a spot on the 25-man in '06.

He showed some results in the latter part of '05 that he hadn't shown before.

you and i are gonna get laughed at on this board but i personally dont disagree with you. i think borchard could still add some power to some team..just not us. i think he could be a jeromy burntiz type player still

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
You know, I think Borchard deserves a chance to try and get a spot on the 25-man in '06.

He showed some results in the latter part of '05 that he hadn't shown before.

1 thing that this trade does do is it potentially opens up a spot for Borchard...yesterday, it looked like Brian Anderson was our best option as a backup outfielder...today we need BA Starting. That leaves Timo right now as the only other current option in the outfield...and I would say that Borchard is cheaper and potentially better with the bat.

Maybe Borchard could be the PTBNL instead of Gio.

Guys I just got home from work and I heard on the radio a few blocks from my house that we got Thome. Instantly I thought HELL YEAH! Then I said wait a minute...for who??...Next thing they said was Rowand + prospects. f***!!!!!

I just said it the other day I did not want him f***ing gone UGH!

...I don't know, Thome better not get hurt next year because if we traded Roward plus Gio and Haig for a player thats gonna be on the shelf all f***ing year long I am gonna be pissed.

I don't like this deal yet...I just don't.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
We hang on to Konerko next season and we're going to win at least 100 games.

Pods

Pierre

Thome/PK

Konerko/JT

Dye

Pierzynski

Gooch

Crede

Uribe

MB

JC

JG

FG

BM

If this is how kenny is planning on doing it, I am all for this trade. The staff we already know is sick......if that is going to be our lineup for next year, Kenny has his eyes set on a repeat.

We landed a huge lefty bat for the cost of Rowand and Everett.....With the loss of Big Frank's contract kenny has sat himself in the position to resign PK.

I really have no preference on rather using anderson or trading for pierre, I would like someone that can throw in CF though.

I will truly miss both Big Frank and Arow, but I try to look at it as the team sense. Hypothetically if the Sox traded the entire team for the Cubs entire team we would all still root for the guys in black.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Aaron's bat was a bit of a question mark too...let's not forget he is coming off a very poor year with the bat.

And anywho...think of it this way...if Brian Anderson can hit .250 with 15 home runs, he's only a very small step down from Aaron Rowand.  Some would also even say that Anderson is equal to or better than ARow in CF (we'll see).  However, if Jim Thome can hit 40+ home runs like he has almost every year of his career except last year...how much of an upgrade is he over Carl Everett?

I think BA could easily put up 20-25 HRs if he was the full-time CFer. Ya know something else that was always in the back of my mind about ARow...and I'm not trying to point fingers or demean him in any way....but I always wondered if his 24 dingers from the year before was due to roids for his shoulder injury.

I just got home and I really don't want to go through this whole thread to see everything. Is there any prospects involved and how much cash are we getting? I'm so happy to have Thome and I love this deal but I'm going to miss Aaron there is no doubt. Thanks for everything Arow.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
I also think Borch should atleast get another look.... his defense is fairly solid and if he can hit 250 and get 20 + hrs...it wouldn't be terrible.

the borchard ship here sailed long ago.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
I just got home and I really don't want to go through this whole thread to see everything.  Is there any prospects involved and how much cash are we getting?  I'm so happy to have Thome and I love this deal but I'm going to miss Aaron there is no doubt.  Thanks for everything Arow.

Rowand, Gonzalez, Haigwood for Thome and Philly pays half of his salary.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Rowand, Gonzalez, Haigwood for Thome and Philly pays half of his salary.

Haigwood and Gio are still rumors...there's also a possibility that it's a PTBNL instead of Gio (Gio could also be on a PTBNL List).

If it were me, that's how I'd have done it...I'd want to see Thome healthy in Spring Training before I allowed Gio to leave.