White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross Gload can play 1B and maybe some OF. Ozuna can play anywhere and Widger can play Catcher and a mean 3B. Frank can DH.

Evertime you pinch hit with Frank you have to use another guy off the bench. So frank takes up 2 bench spots. No thanks.

Agreed. But, I feel like we kinda owe it to Frank to bring him back IF he's healthy. He has earned that.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Arow is a great defensive CF.  However, I think he is a lot like Edmonds in that he makes SOME plays look tougher than they are.  Still Rowand is probably in the top five defensive CFers in the game.  Still, he is replaceable as much as I like him.

Exactly. Great post.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Agreed. But, I feel like we kinda owe it to Frank to bring him back IF he's healthy. He has earned that.

Not really. You do what's best for the team not what's best for a player who's been around for a long time. Keeping players around when they're well past their prime has gotten many a GM fired. Frank was great for the Sox for 15 seasons but he's been gone for a while now.

Haigwood, 22, had a breakout year in 2005, rapidly elevating his status in the White Sox organization. Drafted in the 16th round in 2002, the 6-2 lefty impressed between high A Winston-Salem and AA Birmingham, putting up a combined 14-3 record with a 2.82 ERA. After moving to Birmingham, Haigwood wowed the Southern League, going 6-1 with a 1.74 ERA and a BAA of .170. Haigwood allowed only 39 hits in over 67 innings of work. Haigwood draws comparisons to Mark Buehrle, working fast with a bevy of pitches.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Anybody got a definate number on the amount of cash in return?!?...$24M?!?

white sox will pay half of the 12.5 due to thome in 06 and half the 14 mil due the following two seasons. so we just got thome for 20 mil for 3 years.

Alright, i just got back and trying to sort all of this in my mind, but on the surface this looks like a very solid deal.

Arow was on my top 3 favorite players, i hate losing him, but this solidifies our team during the offseason. If we don't get konerko, at least we have a backup now. BUT, if we can find the money to resign paulie, this deal is a steal and a half and i can't see how we wouldn't be world series favorites. Thise lineup would be sick with thome and konerko in the middle.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Just wondering, how could this make Konerko come back.  Could this spell the end of him?  Could Konerko see Thome as a replacement for him?

Konerko should want to come back more now that he has legit protection in the lineup in Thome. Thomas is more than likely done with the Sox unless Konerko is not resigned.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Look at the current starters.  Only Buehrle and McCarthy were drafted by the Sox.  You can always make moves to improve your minor league system.

Removing Haigwood and Gonzalez from our system hurts our pitching status years from now. Confounding problems is within the next two years, nearly our entire rotation will be eligible for FA. Neither may have been pitching in 07 or 08, but by that time either they're regressing or on the brink of promotion.

At 2008, either our payroll should be hovering around 95 million or there better be several prospects (both pitching and hitting) ready to contribute. It's going to become difficult finding the funds to keep our rotation entact. Honestly, I don't mind Thome--but I'm weary of our club handing over these particular prospects.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Just wondering, how could this make Konerko come back.  Could this spell the end of him?  Could Konerko see Thome as a replacement for him?

I'd think he'd be thrilled having Thome batting in front of him!!!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Anyone hear anything new regarding a CF replacement?

I.E. Pierre, Damon, J. Jones or are we just going to put Anderson out there?

You will not be seeing Damon or Jones on the Sox next year, I can gaurantee you that.

Our number one option at this point would be Anderson with a possibility that we could trade for Pierre.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)

I think the real key part of this is that it solves our DH problem in a cost-effective manner and reduces salary (assuming Anderson replaces Rowand in CF), thereby freeing up quite a bit of green that can be shoved in Konerko's way.

Think about this...we paid Carl Everett what, $4 million last season? We paid Aaron rowand what, $2 million or so? If you add up what those guys would make...that covers what we'll be paying of Thome's deal. Which means that the money saved by dropping Thomas's salary with the buyout is now officially freed up - we're not committing $12 million to Delgado or antyhing like that.