White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
A guy on Mac Jurko and Harry had an idea of going to Crawford or Gathwright instead of Pierre.....which either would cost a lot more than Pierre though...

Gathwright - no thank you.

Crawford - not going anywhere (and if he were to be traded, it would help to still have Haig and Gio)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
I like Anderson as a prospect. The only question I have if he becomes the starter in CF is team strikeouts. Thome fans a ton, and BA is going to ring up a pretty big total himself.

Rowand struck out 116 times last season, but only took 32 walks. Yes, Thome K's a ton, but so did Rowand...and in Thome's last 9 full seasons, he drew less than 100 walks only once.

We have room for a lot of strikeouts on this team now. B.A.'s job is 2 fold...produce around what Rowand did offensively (hit .250 or better with 15 or better home runs), and catch that damn ball in CF.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
A guy on Mac Jurko and Harry had an idea of going to Crawford or Gathwright instead of Pierre.....which either would cost a lot more than Pierre though...

tampa just gave crawford a contract, they're going to build around him, no way this happens.

The only reason Philly would pay 1/2 his salary is because the prospects are good ones. Gio was 2 years away. Haigwood maybe 1. The sox have a window to win the next few years [and even beyond with all the young talent coming on from high a and AA]. Getting Thome, with all the other pitchers locked up, helps the sox offense a lot.

The added salary will help pay for PK and another addition somewhere this offseason

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
The only reason Philly would pay 1/2 his salary is because the prospects are good ones. Gio was 2 years away. Haigwood maybe 1. The sox have a window to win the next few years [and even beyond with all the young talent coming on from high a and AA]. Getting Thome, with all the other pitchers locked up, helps the sox offense a lot.

The added salary will help pay for PK and another addition somewhere this offseason

Gio is my fav prospect, but he has had some injury probs. If healthy he can be a good starter.

These two prospects don't hurt me as much as Rowand, they are just prospects. Well at least it wasn't Bmac...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Rowand struck out 116 times last season, but only took 32 walks.  Yes, Thome K's a ton, but so did Rowand...and in Thome's last 9 full seasons, he drew less than 100 walks only once.

We have room for a lot of strikeouts on this team now.  B.A.'s job is 2 fold...produce around what Rowand did offensively (hit .250 or better with 15 or better home runs), and catch that damn ball in CF.

I have no problem getting rid of Rowand, in fact I called it about a month ago., but if Anderson plays everyday, he'll go way higher than 116 k's. Add about 170 for Thome, plus with whats left, thats a lot of strikeouts for a team wanting to play part time smallball. There are obviously other deals coming. Ozzie said he wanted more speed. He gets what he wants. I think Pierre is going to be playing CF.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
tampa just gave crawford a contract, they're going to build around him, no way this happens.

I don't know about that. First they gave him that deal under Chuck LaMarr. Also, they have an abundance of OF guys.

Crawford

Baldelli

Gomes

Gathright

Young

I count 5. I think they would get rid of the most expensive one.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Haigwood and Gio were all shakey IMO.  Gio was an injury risk and Haigwood had one great year.  We already have 4 relatively young starters, so we could afford to trade some of the minor leaguers.

I count three.

Thanks for posting that, Addison. Thome + $$$ for Rowand + Haigwood + PTBNL (not named Gonzalez, Young, or Sweeney) makes me a lot happier.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Excellent trade, in my opinion. If we can resign PK our lineup is scary.

IF is a huge word. Anaheim may be finalizing their offer to Konerko's agent right now. Then where would we be?

Personally, I believe Williams doesn't make this trade unless he's absolutely certain signing Konerko is feasible. I wouldn't expect Konerko to promise Williams his loyalty, than in the event Anaheim adds a few more million, turn his back on Williams and accept LA's offer. Konerko probably realizes his options are short, and unless an organization presents a ridiculous contract, he'll stay where he feels comfortable.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
IF is a huge word. Anaheim may be finalizing their offer to Konerko's agent right now? Then where would we be?

Personally, I believe Williams doesn't make this trade unless he's absolutely certain signing Konerko is feasible. I wouldn't expect Konerko to promise Williams his loyalty, than in the event Anaheim adds a few more million, turn his back on Williams and accept LA's offer.

I read somewhere the Angels are willing to go 5 years , $60 million for Konerko, not quite what Landis was looking for but pretty significant. The Sox have an excellent shot of re-signing him.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Reports have the trade as Jim Thome for Aaron Rowand, Haigwood, and a PTBNL.

There are no reports of Gio outside of Bruce Levine--a man known for his non-sensical conjecturing.

That is all.

Is it nonsense? The Phils are paying a LOT of the contract, by all accounts. It doesn't seem too far-fetched that they wouldn't do that w/o getting Gio.

But you're right, it is just Levine.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
The Score is suggesting the CUbs are close to getting Pierre  and KW is intent on starting BA in CF.

Hmmm. I really don't see BA contributing all that much offensively this year. I would like to have Pierre so hopefully KW can fly in and pick him up.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
horrible... the sox will pay 7.5 million a year for the next 3 years for an old, injured 1b.

Arow was our best OF... this trade makes no sense...

Okay, the trade doesn't go through if he's injured. I don't know why people overlook that. There's a reason physicals are done. Edmonds plays the OF is older and is still productable. Thome had one year in which he was injury plagued(his elbow last year) and now he's just an old and injured guy? Uh no.

And Dye was our best OF IMO. Rowand was our best starting OF defensively. Taking all things into account, Dye was better.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
horrible... the sox will pay 7.5 million a year for the next 3 years for an old, injured 1b.

Arow was our best OF... this trade makes no sense...

If Thome is healthy, those figures are a steal. Doesn't he have 4 years left? I think his elbow will be fine, what concerns me is his 35 year old back. The other positive is Jim Thome is as high of character guy as there is in MLB.